BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 11:14 #73067 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic What did you do to your jimny today
they look great, you rebuilt the front axle yet?

been thinking about doing something like this myself but after the right up i think i'll pass, a bit further than my fab skills go

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 11:18 #73068 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
cleaned all the clay like mud off it from sundays laning trip! nice clean jimny again :)

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 16:35 #73093 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic What did you do to your jimny today

ne-crock wrote: they look great, you rebuilt the front axle yet?

been thinking about doing something like this myself but after the right up i think i'll pass, a bit further than my fab skills go

Done the axle all with Richie's help, or should I say he did it with a bit of help from me :unsure:

If you get the seats mike you can bring it round here and I will do it with you (I will let you know what steel you need etc.)

More
07 Jun 2013 16:56 #73094 by Basketcase
Did nothing to my Jim today but showed the mechanic at work how to change the kingpin bearings on a customers Jim as he'd never done it before

More
07 Jun 2013 19:21 #73104 by supergaz
Did both front wheel bearings whilst I should have been at work :-)

Then went out and got a new Gel battery to fit on my nearside arch in my new jimnybits battery tray :-)

More
07 Jun 2013 20:16 #73111 by kirkynut
Upgraded my speakers in the front to some 100mm Edge branded ones from Halfrauds for £19.99. Much better but still not as good as my awesome set up in my normal car as no 100mm speaker is gonna set the world on fire!

Thinking about some much larger ones to go on the rear side shelves to lend them a hand and take the pressure of them by fading it to the rear a bit. Not ideal as the sound should mainly come from the front but with nowhere really for bigger ones in the front choice is limited.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
07 Jun 2013 20:17 #73112 by helijohn
I don't seem to want to do much to my mota.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 22:34 #73124 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic What did you do to your jimny today

kirkynut wrote: Upgraded my speakers in the front to some 100mm Edge branded ones from Halfrauds for £19.99. Much better but still not as good as my awesome set up in my normal car as no 100mm speaker is gonna set the world on fire!

Thinking about some much larger ones to go on the rear side shelves to lend them a hand and take the pressure of them by fading it to the rear a bit. Not ideal as the sound should mainly come from the front but with nowhere really for bigger ones in the front choice is limited.

Kirkynut

have thought about this a little bit, is there space to mount 6x9's where your talking about but so their facing inwards not flat pointing up.

More
07 Jun 2013 23:00 #73125 by helijohn

jonesyba420 wrote: [ is there space to mount 6x9's where your talking about but so their facing inwards not flat pointing up.

On my Pajero I built them into the roof at the rear, full crossover network.

• Grizzly
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 23:16 #73127 by Grizzly
Replied by Grizzly on topic What did you do to your jimny today
I was wondering today actually how difficult it would be to put front speakers in the roof lining just above the front seats...

It might be something worth looking into B)

More
07 Jun 2013 23:25 #73128 by helijohn

Grizzly wrote: I was wondering today actually how difficult it would be to put front speakers in the roof lining just above the front seats...

It might be something worth looking into B)

Mine were out of the way in the back above and behind the rear seats.

In my SJ I made a fitment to go on/into the rear door. I don't have the rear seats in my Jimny so there would be more room over the luggage space but in the Pajero I had roof metalwork to attach to as it is very substantially made (compared to the Jimny) and a speaker system of woofers, mid and tweeters is a bit heavy.

Also not having rear seats means you could make a false floor and whack the system in that.

More
08 Jun 2013 13:22 #73160 by kirkynut
You could do all sorts with some mdf and imagination. 6x9's had a following in the 90's as they can provide a little bass without having to get an amp and sub and they went in hot hatch parcel shelves nicely but truth be told they don't do high notes very well and distort those but the front speakers do the opposite, so both distort somewhere.

The ultimate way to do it is to have a sub and let that worry about the lows and decent normal 3 ways front & rear with concentration on the fronts with a bit of infill from the rear. You then filter the lows from your normal speakers with the bass settings on your head unit.

My boot (which is not very big on a Jimjam anyway) is full so no amp or sub. So just decentish rear speakers and keep the bass levels sensible on the head unit is the best compromise.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds