BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

MPG, for the doubters...

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2010 22:50 - 21 Dec 2010 23:48 #7947 by SPC5838
MPG, for the doubters... was created by SPC5838
Actually been bored enough to work out MPG I'm getting :whistle: for any folks that were wondering if their's is too thirsty ! That and finally got round to doing work mileage claim... On a stock vvt, so could well be different with mods or earlier engine

Book fuel tank capacity 40 Litres, £45 to fill from hard empty to top of filler next (so 40l pretty much correct ,actually slightly less at fuel prices round here), then did 256 miles and was hard empty again. Mix of 4x4 in the snow on and off road and regular 2wd in town / motorway at 70-75;

256 miles = 411km / 40 litres = 10.25 km/l

In real money;

40 litres in gallons = 8.79 256 / 8.79 = 29 mpg :lol: and that's been with a load more time in 4wd than normal due to the snow. 40 odd miles before gauge dropped (fairly quickly after that) off max... Fake ? Fraid not ;)
Last edit: 21 Dec 2010 23:48 by SPC5838. Reason: Forgot say on vvt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shootinginger@yahoo.co.uk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2010 09:50 #7955 by shootinginger@yahoo.co.uk
Replied by shootinginger@yahoo.co.uk on topic Re: MPG, for the doubters...
im lucky if i get just over 200 miles per tank in 2wd sitting at 55 every where:S

More
22 Dec 2010 10:57 #7960 by maverick
Do i really care - Nope!!

When its gets to empty i fill it up, when it gets to empty i fill it up!

Jalapeño, IISY?

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2010 12:12 #7969 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: MPG, for the doubters...
I just worked mine out,
25mpg in constant 4x4 in bad snow..... including many sits for 10 mins to heat up/de-ice :)

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2010 13:53 #7977 by SPC5838
Replied by SPC5838 on topic Re: MPG, for the doubters...
yup thats pretty much what I thought maverick, but some folks seem to be concerned about it. My jimny replaced an 18 to the gallon on a good day shogun, so i'm happy with anything really ! Maybe the new airfilter and plugs help, but Berts and mine kinda make it look like stock newer versions do better than the older engine or modded motors.

So i've probably got more frequent trips to the petrol station to look forward to when the new bits go on ! As long at it does better than 18 to the gallon, i'll be happy.

More
23 Dec 2010 19:49 - 23 Dec 2010 19:54 #8028 by Foxtrot
Hi,

I'm a very sedate low reving driver and I also took the trouble last year to see what my Jimny 2006 was doing as regards MPG, I managed to get 315 miles in 2 wheel mode before I bottled it after the orange light kept flashing for ages and I filled it up again. 315 / 8.79 = 35.8 mpg that's about on the nose what Suzuki states. However it likes to drink a lot more in 4x4 mode :) The car is totally stock on its original Bridgestone Duellers.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2010 19:54 by Foxtrot.

More
23 Dec 2010 23:03 #8033 by dirtydogz
Maverick's right when it's empty fill it up,It's only money,buy a fiat punto if you won't 45 to the gallon.:sick:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2010 23:58 #8034 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: MPG, for the doubters...

bertbuckie wrote: I just worked mine out,
25mpg in constant 4x4 in bad snow..... including many sits for 10 mins to heat up/de-ice :)

Yeah mine is about the same, I get roughly 170 miles to a tank however I know that when i put that fuel in, I can get anywhere regardless of conditions so I don't really mind. My audi coupe does 400 miles to a tank and that is more than twice the size of the jimny's tank, but it's going nowhere in these conditions.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Dec 2010 09:58 #8045 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: MPG, for the doubters...
Its nice to know MPG... I like to keep an eye on it.

Even in my Focus RS i keep an eye on how many MPG its doing, its currently making between 330-350bhp and returns 25mpg, will do about 28-29mpg on a decent run.

I keep an eye on it because if it suddenly starts doing 10mpg then I know something is wrong somewhere.

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jan 2011 22:19 #8619 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: MPG, for the doubters...
I went on a long jaunt for the new year and decided to check how mine did - 196 miles from filling it to the brim to when i darent risk it - not bad for considering it was comfortably cruising at about 80+ on the motorway for 130 of them :whistle: Might have to try it a 70 when im not in a rush :blush:

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jan 2011 22:29 #8621 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: MPG, for the doubters...
i don't work in mpg i do miles per £20 :lol:

when i went to briercliff on boxing day i filled up before setting off & when i got to halifax the gauge showed half so decided to fill it up another £20 squeezed in & i had done 50 miles don't know what that works out to in mpg but its not great i was getting double that in my 2.7 td terrano :(

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
03 Jan 2011 08:32 #8712 by funkyjimny
I get around 160 miles to the tank, but mines far from standard and undergeared with a 6:1 rocklobster box. I wish it did a little more as finding a petrol station mid laning trip is hard going - certainly in wales on a bank holiday in the middle of nowhere...

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds