BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

immobiliser or ECU for not starting

More
24 Feb 2024 17:58 #254552 by greenmachine
Now then all, i recharged the battery and turned her over,  heres some history 1st, In her past life i swapped the 1.3 M13A engine VVT (55 reg)
for a 1.6 suzuki swift engine, she ran but was lumpy and missing a bit.  now after tracking her down and buying he back she will turn over but wont start and squirts fuel out an injector or the rail. she has the engine light on and another light of a car with a padlock through it, pic attached. i,m thinking thats the immoblisler warning light.  so to get her going i need to ask a few questions to narrow it down.
1/ do i need to swap the immobiliser out or the ECU or both? 
2/ i have a donor jimny 2001 but its not the  VVT engine so am i right in thinking that the ECU and IMOB from that wont work? and its scrap/parts
3/ shall i buy more 1.6 or 1.3 injectors and install those?
I,m completley stuck and i,m starting to think this might be impossible or can someone shed light on where i should begin ?  

cheers L.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2024 18:36 #254555 by jackonlyjack
Here's the part numbers for injector seals 
Take no notice that they're motorbike parts 

Ebay will be the cheapest 
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2024 18:41 #254556 by greenmachine
mega thanks jack, i,ll look into that, cheers.

More
24 Feb 2024 18:44 - 24 Feb 2024 18:51 #254557 by jackonlyjack
It will make little difference with 13 or 16 injectors both will be fine
I would say get a good second hand ecu with keys ect 
seen them sell for around 80 quid 

You will need vvt ecu 
Have you had obd reader plugged in to see if it tells you anything 

Last edit: 24 Feb 2024 18:51 by jackonlyjack.

More
25 Feb 2024 06:55 #254564 by yakuza
If the immo light blink fast there is a problem, if it just lights up steady it is a self test.

Are you sure there is an ecu problem?

Could just as well be the position of the cam sensor ring, coil pack, is there a fuel rail pressure sensor?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
25 Feb 2024 10:06 #254567 by DrRobin
According to the wiki the immobiliser disables the injectors and the spark.

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Key...%20unit.&text=4.,ECU.

If you have fuel coming out of the injectors and a spark then it possibly isn’t the immobiliser or the ecu.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
25 Feb 2024 20:10 - 26 Feb 2024 07:13 #254583 by greenmachine
Hey Jack brill thx, ill get some O rings and stop that leaky injector, then get a diagnostics bod to read the faults. the IMMOB light flashes , i remember now cos it was a difficult trying to take a pic of it !! will my ECU and IMMOB of seen better days completely then?  ive seen on tebay the steering column, stalks, keys, readers and ecu etc as a pack  should i buy all that and fit it?
Last edit: 26 Feb 2024 07:13 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
25 Feb 2024 20:16 #254584 by greenmachine
Hello again Yakuza, we spoke in her previous life when i was swapping the engines i think mate! aye shes flashing sharpish like. U rekon needs plugging in to read faults to see where i,m at, ?

More
25 Feb 2024 20:20 #254585 by greenmachine
Thanks Doc, thats a good point and info i wouldnt of found that, top man cheers.
when the key is in position before turn over it must prime or something as thats when its squirting fuel.

More
25 Feb 2024 22:24 #254589 by DrRobin
It might well run the fuel pump and prime the system, but then not fire the injectors or fire a spark if the immobiliser is still inhibiting the running.

The immobiliser could inhibit either spark or injector (or both) but either spark or injector would stop the engine from starting.

Spark would be the easiest to check for.

If the injectors were firing you would smell fuel if you take the plugs out.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
26 Feb 2024 07:06 - 26 Feb 2024 07:12 #254593 by yakuza
i got this programmer that I can hook up to the OBD I bought of ebay that can read the immobilizer key chip into the ECU. i had a period of trouble earlier with released smoke from the dash cluster, and druing that time the chips got lost from the ECU from time to time and had to be reprogrammed for some reason.
Also the different ECU series only work with some series of immo chips so not all (hardly any) can be programmed into your ECU I found out. at least not with the cheap ebay tool.

I would try the original parts that came with the car first at least and try to get them to work together.
But most likely if anything is broken to get a full set of immo chip keys, stalk, column, ecu and all as you say.

Some say the immo unit is only a signal amplifier / converter for the ECU and not a stand alone unit (but can still be broken) and from my experience the dash cluster also has a "brain".  

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2024 07:12 by yakuza.

More
03 Mar 2024 19:43 #254778 by greenmachine
moving in the right direction now,  i swapped o rings from my donor jims injector and all spot on now no leaks.  now i need a test connected up to the ODB socket.    ive sussed all the plug n play immob ecu etc, so will prob scource a 2nd kit on ebay.   

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds