BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Emission Warning Light

More
26 Dec 2023 15:27 #253089 by bryn
Emission Warning Light was created by bryn
I have an 2011 Jimny which is running fine with no apparent issues but after a long run today the yellow emission warning light has come on (left hand side of the dash). Petrol consumption is fine and no smokey exhaust so I’m at a loss. I did a quick google and tightened the petrol filler cap but it’s still there, so your help is much appreciated. I’m guessing I’m going to have to clean or replace some sensors. 

Thanks in anticipation 

bryn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Dec 2023 16:18 #253090 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Emission Warning Light
As in the little yellow engine symbol? You will need to plug it into a diagnostic machine which will give you codes to check which sensor you need to look at.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Dec 2023 18:46 - 26 Dec 2023 18:46 #253091 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Emission Warning Light
Get yourself one of these Ebay item 364296855980 then the Torque App, assuming you have a smartphone,
Last edit: 26 Dec 2023 18:46 by Phaeton.

More
26 Dec 2023 19:02 #253092 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Emission Warning Light
I don’t have an emissions warning light on my 2011, so think it is the Check Engine Light as mentioned by Lambert.

That can come on for a variety of reasons, emissions or a failed CAT is just one of them. As already mentioned you need a OBD code reader to check for faults and see what has failed.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
26 Dec 2023 20:58 - 26 Dec 2023 21:11 #253097 by bryn
Replied by bryn on topic Emission Warning Light
Unfortunately that obd code reader recommended by Pheaton isn’t compatible with my iPhone. Can anyone recommend one please
Bryn
And just for clarity it’s the yellow engine management light which I have assumed is the emissions light. Thanks
Last edit: 26 Dec 2023 21:11 by bryn.

More
27 Dec 2023 00:49 #253101 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Emission Warning Light
Hi Bryn.
Mine came on too today. Cold and wet where you are too? My cat is a bit too big and the down pipe is also too big and not insulated anymore.
When my cat get cold it is insufficient and I get the corresponding fault code. I delete and reset as said above here, and then a couple of months until next time it comes back.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Dec 2023 04:25 #253103 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Emission Warning Light
Bryn I have a couple of readers I can pop by after work if you want?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Dec 2023 09:09 #253105 by bryn
Replied by bryn on topic Emission Warning Light
Lambert
Many thanks I’ve sent you a PM.

My neighbour has a reader and so it’s come up with “P0420 catalyst system below threshold” which guessing is something to do with the lambada sensor. Suggestions please
Bryn

More
27 Dec 2023 09:15 #253106 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Emission Warning Light
As I said. Cold and wet where you are? Any mods like mine?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
27 Dec 2023 09:23 - 27 Dec 2023 09:25 #253107 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Emission Warning Light
If it is emissions, then it is triggered by the post- catalyst sensor.

There are two sensors:

One in the exhaust before the catalyst (pre-cat sensor) that is used for fuelling. If it fails the fuel consumption usually goes up as the car defaults to a basic fuelling map.

One after the catalyst (post-cat sensor) this checks the catalyst is working by looking for a reduction in oxygen content compared to the pre-cat sensor. (It reduces because the catalyst reacts any nasties with oxygen)

If the oxygen doesn't go down, the emissions warning is triggered (catalyst system below threshold), but the car drives just fine, no limp mode, no increase in fuel consumption.

This may be because

1) the catalyst is worn out/poisoned and it cannot do its job (new catalyst required)
2) The catalyst isn't reaching operating temperature as yakuza says- maybe you are driving trough a lot of water which is cooling it down.
3) there is a leak in the exhaust somewhere before the post-cat sensor, and air is being drawn in, which provides the extra oxygen.
4) the sensor is out of calibration (new sensor required)

I'd have a look for a leak in the exhaust where the pipe goes into the catalyst.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 27 Dec 2023 09:25 by facade.

More
27 Dec 2023 11:26 #253109 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Emission Warning Light

Unfortunately that obd code reader recommended by Pheaton isn’t compatible with my iPhone. Can anyone recommend one please
Bryn
And just for clarity it’s the yellow engine management light which I have assumed is the emissions light. Thanks
Apologies for that, as it's Bluetooth I just assumed it was suitable for both flavours as I know Torque is compatible

More
27 Dec 2023 13:25 #253111 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Emission Warning Light

My neighbour has a reader and so it’s come up with “P0420 catalyst system below threshold” which guessing is something to do with the lambada sensor. Suggestions please
Bryn

First, be aware that on newer (anything built after 2003) vehicles there are two lambda sensors, one before the catalytic converter and one after.

The first sensor, known as the upstream sensor or B1S1 (Bank 1 Sensor 1 on an inline engine) is used to determine the fuel mixture, the second  sensor, the down stream sensor or B1S2 (Bank 1 Sensor 2) is used to ensure the catalytic system is working properly - the output of B1S1 would normally be a constantly changing voltage between roughly 0.1~0.9 VDC, the output of B1S2 would normally be a relatively stable voltage around 0.5~0.7 VDC - a P0420 code is set when the output of B1S2 closely matches the output of the B1S1 sensor

You need to look at the waveforms being output from the sensors, an exhaust leak upstream the B1S1 sensor can cause that sensor to "level out" so the output is similar to that of the B1S2 sensor, or a defective cat converter can cause the B1S2 to vary in the same manner as the B1S1 sensor.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds