BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

petrol problems

• Dan.1298cc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2010 15:49 #6188 by Dan.1298cc
petrol problems was created by Dan.1298cc
i'v been having problems with the amount of fuel my 99 jimny is using, its been using about £15 a day and doing about 50 miles, and ideas what the problem could be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2010 16:04 - 20 Nov 2010 16:05 #6190 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: petrol problems
oxygen sensor (lambda sensor) most likely.

Could be stuck in 4wd low with the handbrake on I suppose, or have a fuel leak from the fuel pipes but you would notice ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 20 Nov 2010 16:05 by facade.

• Fieldsports
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2010 18:31 - 20 Nov 2010 18:34 #6199 by Fieldsports
Replied by Fieldsports on topic Re: petrol problems

Dan.1298cc wrote: i'v been having problems with the amount of fuel my 99 jimny is using, its been using about £15 a day and doing about 50 miles, and ideas what the problem could be?

Mine is crap as well.
Have a 1998 one.
Manual hubs on it that do work.
No fuel leaks,
No Handbrake stuck
And not stuck in 4x4
Mind you loads of pressure when I remove the fuel cap.
I get about 85 mile for £20 about the same miles as a Disco.
I have not tried the lambda sensor yet but I do have one to change.

My pal had one on a 1999 and he says his is pants on fuel as well.

Let me know if you fix this as I am gutted with the MPG, its spoiling a nice little car that I have restored from been a neglected shed to this.

PS: I notice in the morning mine revs like hell when I pull up at the junction at the bottom of my street.
And loves to knock a condensation cloud out till it gets warm that does not take long.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Nov 2010 18:34 by Fieldsports.

More
20 Nov 2010 18:39 #6201 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: petrol problems
I make that about 18 to the gallon.

Mine does about 17-19 to the gallon with lift, large tyres, roll cage, winch bumper etc.

Sounds a bit low to me. Could be a sensor on the way out, air filter or the catalytic converter could be getting blocked.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Fieldsports
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2010 18:56 #6203 by Fieldsports
Thanks Martin.
Sorry to Hi Jack this thread but hopefully by me babbling on and your reply Dan will get help to find his solution.

Just I read on other places that these do about 32-36 mpg on average and like you say mine is way below that.
( That's why I got one as I thought they were good on juice )
Mine has 58K on it....but I do have a full Jimny broke with 21K on it so I have all the bits. ( Found a one in a yard and bought the lot as the bits can be hard to get )
I will try the sensor....I don't think that the Cat is restricted in any way as I drive it with pleasure when hot / up to its temp and I recently had it tested with no probs.
My pal with the 1999 model had more money than me and put his into a dealer that replaced all the poss stuff at a great expense to him and its still as poop on fuel as it ever was.
I drive mine as a road car mainly and do off roading in connection with my job....not savage off roading like you lads do but driving grass fields in first trying to hit as little pot holes as I can.
I would like to hear if its just me my mate and Dan that has the 3 Jimnys that's crap on fuel or is this common.

Thanks

More
20 Nov 2010 21:12 #6217 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: petrol problems
[quote="Fieldsports"
[/quote]

That is normal: in fact at the MOT the tester is listening for the hiss to prove the seals are ok. (The tank vent goes to the cannister by the engine and absorbs any fumes when standing, the cannister is purged to the inlet when the engine is running, and there is a one way valve to let air into the tank.)

Mine is rubbish on fuel too: I doubt if it does more than 25/26 MPG to work and back. My 200TDi LWB Landrover did low 30s on the same journey.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Fieldsports
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2010 22:36 #6224 by Fieldsports

facade wrote: [quote="Fieldsports"

That is normal: in fact at the MOT the tester is listening for the hiss to prove the seals are ok. (The tank vent goes to the cannister by the engine and absorbs any fumes when standing, the cannister is purged to the inlet when the engine is running, and there is a one way valve to let air into the tank.)

Mine is rubbish on fuel too: I doubt if it does more than 25/26 MPG to work and back. My 200TDi LWB Landrover did low 30s on the same journey.[/quote]

• Fieldsports
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2010 22:56 #6225 by Fieldsports
SO....are these jimnys really crap on fuel ?

I think they are ! Please tell me different.

Suxuki Jimnys are SH1T on Fuel.....tell me the rest

• 4wheelers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2010 13:34 #6232 by 4wheelers
Replied by 4wheelers on topic Re: petrol problems
I mostly get between 32 and 35 out of mine. It is the VVT model. Not sure if that makes much difference. I must admit though that off road I probably only get 18mpg.

• leswilluk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2010 13:47 #6233 by leswilluk
Replied by leswilluk on topic Re: petrol problems
My 2009 Jimny which has only done about 3000 miles does 34 mpg in the summer it drops to about 30 mpg during the winter when used on normal roads, it is standard except for some steel modular wheels but I have the same size of tyre as the standard wheels the only time I had a low 20s mpg was in the snow we had last year.

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2010 16:51 #6483 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: petrol problems
ive just calculated my mpg with motorway driving and i get no more than 26mpg :( . the only things ive done which could affect the mpg is a 3" lift and slightly bigger nobbly tyres. its still worth every penny though, especially in this snow :) !

• a18suf
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2010 18:31 #6486 by a18suf
Replied by a18suf on topic Re: petrol problems
mine is pants to £40ish to fill and get 190miles ish. i thought there were economical i was a bit gutted. it does the same as my old car which was a 2lt turbo! and that went a hell of a lot faster lol

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds