× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

MOT and ARB removal

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2014 23:02 #123499 by GuardianAngel
MOT and ARB removal was created by GuardianAngel
I have Googled this and all I get is speculation, so...

My MOT is due soon and I removed my ARB. Has anyone here ever passed their MOT with it removed?

I could just fit it but I had to grind off the drop links as the bolts had gone rusty so I don't want to buy new ones and fit them if I don't need to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2014 23:25 #123502 by kevant
Replied by kevant on topic MOT and ARB removal
if its not there they cant test it i have had 4 mots with no anti roll bar fitted and never had a problem
The following user(s) said Thank You: GuardianAngel

• JimnyRiddle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2014 23:36 #123503 by JimnyRiddle
Replied by JimnyRiddle on topic MOT and ARB removal
I've been thinking of removing it on mine. Can I ask how much difference does removal make to road handling? Sorry for hijacking.

Mike

More
06 Sep 2014 23:39 #123504 by kevant
Replied by kevant on topic MOT and ARB removal
I find its actually a lot better on the road i would not even consider putting it back on but then its personal preference isnt it.

• JimnyRiddle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2014 23:48 #123505 by JimnyRiddle
Replied by JimnyRiddle on topic MOT and ARB removal

kevant wrote: I find its actually a lot better on the road i would not even consider putting it back on but then its personal preference isnt it.

Out with the WD40 and socket set for me tomorrow.

Cheers
Mike

More
07 Sep 2014 07:01 #123509 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic MOT and ARB removal
mine has never had an arb since i bought it. gone through 2 mot's with me no issues.

standard jimny - for now

More
07 Sep 2014 08:04 #123510 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic MOT and ARB removal
As long as you remove the ARB and the bushes/brackets for it it'll pass if you remove the ARB but leave a bush on the car technically it should fail

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2014 09:15 #123518 by RichiesJimny
Replied by RichiesJimny on topic MOT and ARB removal
www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s02000408.htm

It tells you there if a component missing where one is know to be fitted as standard is a failure, so yes it should fail if the tester is familiar with jimny's but in reality most mot testers will pass it but it's no good kicking off with the tester if he fails it because he is right to do so. :)

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2014 12:18 #123529 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic MOT and ARB removal

RichiesJimny wrote: www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s02000408.htm

It tells you there if a component missing where one is know to be fitted as standard is a failure, so yes it should fail if the tester is familiar with jimny's but in reality most mot testers will pass it but it's no good kicking off with the tester if he fails it because he is right to do so. :)

I have no intention with arguing with him if he does ;-)

More
07 Sep 2014 12:22 #123531 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic MOT and ARB removal
I would just make it look as much like it was never there as possible and hope for the best!

It'll be fine!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Sep 2014 08:39 #123598 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic MOT and ARB removal
I've been running mine with just 1 drop link removed for 6 months now. It has the same handling/articulation benefits as removing the ARB completely, but come MOT time I can put the drop link back on in 5 minutes and be sure it won't be a problem.

• Leathery1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2014 22:30 #123665 by Leathery1
Replied by Leathery1 on topic MOT and ARB removal
2 MOTs with it missing, but both done by the garage which has done most of my mods for me, so no problems there. Find a 4x4 savvy tester and they wont expect you to keep it on.
A little more body roll on fast corners once its off, but Jimnys aint hot hatches! And much better articulation.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds