BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

I think my Jimnys dying

More
25 Sep 2012 17:56 #48753 by Obarno
My auto Jimny seems to be getting slower and slower and using more petrol! It's not too bad on the flat but on hills has no go at all. Not only that but I need to use more throttle to maintain any speed. I suspect it's the cat on the way out as the car is now 11 yrs old and has done about 55,000 miles. The cat has a small rattle but not too bad.
Anybody have any ideas please?

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2012 20:11 #48781 by facade
Replied by facade on topic I think my Jimnys dying
Could be a blocked catalyst.

May be a transmission fault, check the fluid for amount, colour and burnt smell.
also might be blocked air filter or air intake.
Blocked fuel filter (unlikely) is a faint possibility.

Or your engine could have had it: check compressions.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2012 20:18 #48785 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic I think my Jimnys dying
when in netual does the engine rev freely it could be a brake binding and as you drive thing get hot and exspand so your binding brake would get tighter could also be a colapsed brake flexi pipe

More
26 Sep 2012 12:23 #48855 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic I think my Jimnys dying
Thanks for your replies. I don't think it's the brakes as they don't get hot and the car free wheels easily. Not sure about the auto box although it changes gear ok, exactly the same as before. Also it has a separate oil cooler but haven't checked the oil to see what it's like. The engine doesn't leak oil or water nor does it get hot, so not sure if the problem is that. It revs freely in neutral but under load doesn't rev like it used to.
I haven't checked the air intake for blockage so something else to have a look at. The air cleaner is/was ok but again I need to check. I suppose it's just possible it has collapsed inside the box.
Unfortunately I am now out of the country for the next 3 weeks so it will have to wait until I get back.
Will post again when I know what the problem is!
Thanks again.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 12:57 #48859 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic I think my Jimnys dying
Anyone of your sensors could be on the way out too. I'd be guessing lambda sensor on its last legs if its overfuelling...

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 13:06 #48860 by g187eev
Replied by g187eev on topic I think my Jimnys dying

markyp2000 wrote: when in netual does the engine rev freely it could be a brake binding and as you drive thing get hot and exspand so your binding brake would get tighter could also be a colapsed brake flexi pipe

I always thought "N" was for "NIGHT MODE"?... and "R" was for Race mode?... I think my race mode is broken tho, when I used it in race mode the other day I hit the car behind me??? :pinch:

RB

More
26 Sep 2012 14:16 #48862 by Obarno
Good one Rob and so helpful!!

Goatboy - the Lambda sensor is not very old, but of course could still fail but, the engine light's not on, so anyway something else to check. Thanks

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 18:19 #48883 by g187eev
Replied by g187eev on topic I think my Jimnys dying
I have had a cat fall to bits and block the pipe before on a 1.3 Suzuki Carry.

RB

• thatbigbloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 18:33 #48887 by thatbigbloke
Replied by thatbigbloke on topic I think my Jimnys dying
maybe the gearbox has had it, if it revs freely in N and free wheels ok and doesnt get hot its got to be the box

More
26 Sep 2012 20:26 #48927 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic I think my Jimnys dying
Sounds very much like a blocked cat, they disintegrate and can weld the internals to the casing.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
27 Sep 2012 09:24 #48960 by Obarno
Thanks for your ideas. I imagine the only way to know if its the cat is to change it. I don't think it's the box as it seems to be behaving normally. The car had been standing for a couple of months and it was after that that the problem occurred.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2012 17:00 #48982 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic I think my Jimnys dying
get some one to hold the revs at 2000rpm and feel what is coming out the exhaust

you could take the cat off and see how it runs might be abit loud or when its off see if you can see down the pipe to the cat

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds