BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

speakers

• BIG-P
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2012 18:58 #37772 by BIG-P
speakers was created by BIG-P
Hi folks.
Is there a big difference in bass distortion moving the speakers from the usual place in the front to the gaps near the seat belt tensioners?
Just fitted a fancy stereo and nice speakers and the bass sounds appalling ,coughing and farting lolll.
Wasted money on a nice head unit and speakers right now :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2012 19:17 #37777 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: speakers
Make sure you have the trebble/bass adjusted, the speakers wont ever sound perfect due to the cheap plastic interior and thin metals.
Dynamat makes a huge difference but doesn't come cheap, A friend of mine has just completely covered a VW T5 van and its super quiet inside.

• BIG-P
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2012 19:24 #37780 by BIG-P
Replied by BIG-P on topic Re: speakers

supergaz wrote: Make sure you have the trebble/bass adjusted, the speakers wont ever sound perfect due to the cheap plastic interior and thin metals.
Dynamat makes a huge difference but doesn't come cheap, A friend of mine has just completely covered a VW T5 van and its super quiet inside.

I know fella,everythings adjusted fine but it's just the bass that sounds terrible,the lad who fit them for me say's there are gaps near to where they are fitted so I guess that's the reason.

Alpine head unit and speakers too,wasted :(

Just wondering if it is worth routing them to the gaps behind the seats or is it just gonna sound the same but coming from a different direction . ?

Cheers for the reply

More
16 Apr 2012 19:29 #37781 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: speakers
You can get small MDF carpeted boxes to mount speakers, only problem is finding somewhere to put them, but the sound will be better.

More
16 Apr 2012 19:38 #37784 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: speakers
get rears fitted - huge difference - see here ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIG-P

• BIG-P
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2012 19:55 #37786 by BIG-P

Halford wrote: get rears fitted - huge difference - see here ;)

Cheers pal,I suspected they would sound better,look more enclosed there.
Will get my mate on to it !!

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2012 20:00 #37787 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: speakers
Hi mate if you fit rear speakers as already mentioned this will make an improvement. The old Boom Box as they used to be called in my boy racer days would make a huge difference if you want the bass.Even a small one makes a massive difference mate.Or you could try making a small parcel shelf with some 6x9 speakers mounted in it.
I used to have two 14 inch subs with a massive Amp fitted into an mdf carpeted box this is when I was 17 it used to shake the village to bits. Ha ha funny looking back. :unsure: :unsure:

• stevedumptruck63
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2012 20:05 #37789 by stevedumptruck63
Replied by stevedumptruck63 on topic Re: speakers
i nicked the speakers from the house stereo and fitted them in my mini,MINT. :evil:

• BIG-P
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2012 20:15 #37791 by BIG-P
LOL @ Steve,yes been there done that in my boy racer days :laugh: :laugh:

I don't want booming bass,I know i'll never get that unless I put a big box in there but rooms a premium as it is.
I just want a better bass response than i'm getting right now,it really does sound sh1t !!

I've heard £5 stereos in mini metro's that didn't fart as bad :laugh:

Any improvement is welcomed so will definately move them from the front to behind the seats.

Cheers all for input and look forward to meeting some @ Burnley this Sunday!!
I'm the big lad in the black one,well one of the black ones :P :P

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2012 20:46 #37795 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: speakers
The best thing to do now you've got your nice speakers and head unit is to get some rear ones and fit those too. But also take off the door cards and anywhere there's space fit some sort of self adhesive matting to stop the panels vibrating as much, when they can vibrate some of the energy of the speaker is used to move the speaker rather than the air.

I'm just wondering if there's a cheeky way to fit a subwoofer and amp in the car. Maybe thinking also since it's a 4x4 that using audio designed for boats might be a good idea.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2012 22:22 #37805 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: speakers
Get some self adhesive foam and put that between speaker and mounting surface. Stops the rattle inturn helps the bass

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2012 10:42 - 17 Apr 2012 10:43 #37818 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: speakers
Well, from my experience: the fronts will not "boom boom" no matter what. I bought some of the most expensive 10 cm speakers available here; they sound great, but bass will not come out of a 10 cm speaker.

As said, add speakers in the rear mounts; a 13 cm speaker will fit, you just have to make new holes. I used bitumen-based self-adhesive insulation material to fill the gaps between the speaker lip and body in order to improve the "speaker box". Something like this:

File Attachment:

It is better, but don't expect subwoofer-grade bass levels.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 10:43 by VAXXi.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds