BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Problem after doing lift

More
08 Mar 2010 18:25 #2617 by kevant
Have just finished my 2 1/2" Rhino Ray lift and i can no longer select low ration on my transfer box also i have vibration when accelerating does anyone have any ideas what it might be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2010 18:39 #2619 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Problem after doing lift
I would guess that the position of the transfer box is now wrong in some way, is it a spring lift or body lift.

If the transfer box has moved then the lever may not fully pull back. This could also cause the prop to wobble (out of balance)

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
08 Mar 2010 18:54 #2620 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic Re:Problem after doing lift
tups of here and my friend has the Rhino Ray 2 1/2 inch spring lift, no problems with it

More
08 Mar 2010 19:50 #2624 by kevant
Replied by kevant on topic Re:Problem after doing lift
yeah its the full radius arms and springs new shocks and to be honest the quality of rhino rays gear is excellent so i have no doubt that its something i have done prob like you say martin i have moved the transfer box but does anyone any know if i need prop spacers as i was wondering if they were at full extent would they put pressure on the transfer box and knock it out of balance or would it all settle down after a week or so

More
08 Mar 2010 20:31 #2626 by jonplace
strange one. i have the same lift kit on mine without issue. no prop spacers required. the transfer box is not affected by a suspension lift. what do you mean when you say you moved the transfer box ? must be something to do with this
does the lever not pull all the way back ?

More
08 Mar 2010 20:43 #2628 by kevant
no the lever does not pull all the way back i can only select normal 2 wheel drive and 4 hi not 4 lo and i also have a constant vibration when driving. I noticed yesterday that the rear prop had slipped out of the transfer box a little when we put the new arms springs etc on the back so i thought nothing of it and just pushed it in again on reflection it could have moved then and caused everything to go pear shaped but when we put the front on today i checked everything and it all looked fine so its strange.

More
10 Mar 2010 08:17 #2649 by kevant
Just an update for anyone who is interested I have managed to free my transfer box lever and it now works like a dream i just have no idea why it stuck but now its ok but i still have my vibration so i rang Rhino Ray and its quite possible that i could have a prop out of balance so i will check them when i get time off work he told me that the props have flat spots on to show which way they should line up. Also going to have a look at my rear brakes as now there is extra tension on the hanbrake cable so who knows its worth a look and thanks for the helpfull replies i love this forum keep up the good work.

More
10 Mar 2010 19:31 #2652 by kirkynut
Did you split the prop or simply push it back in as soon as it came out?

If the prop got split you needd to put it back on the exact same splines it came apart from as it's balanced like that.

I've not split a Jimny prop but if it's like an SJ it will have dimples or punch marks that should match up on both parts when you slide one inside the other.

Otherwise, I can't see how it could have coe out of balance.

Did you actually move hte transfer box? What's the condition of the mounts? I can dig out to part number of new mounts should one have not taken any movement.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
10 Mar 2010 22:34 #2658 by kevant
no i didnt split the prop i just pushed it back in and i dont even think it came all the way out so i am with you on this one in that it shouldnt be the prop but i cant rule anything out at the moment. I have just been out in it tonight and its almost like its labouring on the engine almost like the brakes are holding it back but i can push the car quite easily with the handbrake off and i dont get any resistance although i havnt had time to check the back drums yet just to see if the handbrake cable might have wound the adjusters up on the back brakes ( is that possible? ) i was also thinking that it might be out of track buy rhino ray assured me that it should be ok and i have to admit it seems to run straight enough with hands off the wheel.

More
11 Mar 2010 20:56 #2662 by kirkynut
Did you change the rear radius arms too?

The handbrake cable bolts to them with P clips, so I suppose it's possibl that the handbrake may be on a bit, although I can't see how from that, unless the new position of the axle is pulling it tighter as it may have moved the axle position, therefore pulled the cable tighter.

You can push it easy though, so that might not be the prob unless they are rubbing and heating up when it's driven? Youd have to jack it up and see if you can hear them binding I suppose.

I take it the transfer box is all in straight, can't think how it could be wonky on it's mounts as doesn't seem possible but just wondering if the prop UJ angle is out causing it ot bind a touch?

I'm wild guessing though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
11 Mar 2010 22:34 #2663 by kevant
Changed everything front and rear raidus arms new springs all round from rhino ray then adjustable panhard rods from ORA and rough country shocks. Have had it on a four poster today and tracked it up and we did find that the rear adjustable panhard was out a little bit but nothing that would make a lot of difference so im going to check brakes tommorow as i have had to do some work as well today. I have to admit that even though i have a little problem with the vibration i would highly recommend the rhino ray arms and springs they are just quality items.

More
12 Mar 2010 07:25 - 12 Mar 2010 07:27 #2664 by jonplace
does the standard transfer box have a neutral setting ? I run SJ box it has neutral so i can put car in gear to check drive train to tbox

if not disconnect front / rear props from TBox end, stick in 4th and see if vibes occur from Tbox with car not moving.

or, a bit crude but get rear end up off ground, make sure its very safe / secure. rear wheels off. stick it in 4th and see whats going on with rear drive train
let us know how you get on, strange one this
Last edit: 12 Mar 2010 07:27 by jonplace.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds