BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dodgey handling after 3" lift

• Phillingham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2011 17:35 #14780 by Phillingham
Dodgey handling after 3" lift was created by Phillingham
Can anyone offer me advice? After lifting the Jimny 3", adjustable pan hard rods, castor correction bushes and extended brake lines all had gone quite well, until i took in for a blast! It feels like a brick on top of a blamange at the moment, i have put some of this down to 'settlement period'. The steering is a bit over sensitive and twitchy, tends to pull you into corners a bit. Do you think the pan hards may need adjusting, or would adding a damper to assist with the twitchy bump steer help? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2011 18:03 - 10 Apr 2011 18:10 #14786 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Dodgey handling after 3" lift
sounds about right, lol.

mines terrible going round sharp courners, and I definatley need a steering stabiliser. in fact thats the next thing i am fitting and then wheel spacers after that.

it will take you a while to get used to the new 'handling', but once you do you will be more confident with the brick-on-blamange.

EDIT: There is also the possibility that there is something wrong with mine too :silly:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2011 18:10 by viciouspenguin.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2011 18:19 #14788 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: Dodgey handling after 3" lift
mine used to handle (very) terrible massive body roll with the cage etc, but after i fitted polybushes the handling improved greatly, but still has body roll, i didnt think the bushes would make a great difference but it did

but yes your view sounds right, have you took the ARB off?

More
10 Apr 2011 19:15 #14801 by facade

Phillingham wrote: The steering is a bit over sensitive and twitchy, tends to pull you into corners a bit.

Not enough castor angle. Moving the swivel axis back at the top to increase castor angle will increase the self centring action.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2011 06:09 #14809 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: Dodgey handling after 3" lift
Think it must just be the lift... mines quite soft and rolls around a bit. But then i havent driven a standard one to compare.

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2011 07:28 #14815 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: Dodgey handling after 3" lift

facade wrote:

Phillingham wrote: The steering is a bit over sensitive and twitchy, tends to pull you into corners a bit.

Not enough castor angle. Moving the swivel axis back at the top to increase castor angle will increase the self centring action.

Yep spot on. The only way you will be able to make it "fell right" is to change the front radius arms to suit the 3" lift and yes a damper will help big time.

• Phillingham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2011 16:18 #14829 by Phillingham
Replied by Phillingham on topic Re: Dodgey handling after 3" lift
Can you let me know how you get on with the damper? Jimny bits have a rough country one for about £68

• Phillingham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2011 16:21 #14830 by Phillingham
Replied by Phillingham on topic Re: Dodgey handling after 3" lift
Hi, i have just fitted super pro castor correction bushes, but still have the ARB on, the drop link angle gives the impression it's not doing much. Do you recommend removing ARB? Will it still pass MOT without it?

More
11 Apr 2011 16:43 - 11 Apr 2011 16:44 #14832 by MigCooper
I removed my one as it will give you more flex wile off roading, on the road will make it worse (At leas mine got worse) but a lot better in the wild ;)

A steering dumper will make it fill a lot better ......

My one pass MOT without the ARB, guess I was lucky as he licked the Jimny :evil:

Snorkel and plenty of rust to be treated :)
Last edit: 11 Apr 2011 16:44 by MigCooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phillingham

More
11 Apr 2011 16:44 - 11 Apr 2011 16:44 #14833 by kirkynut
Hi there and welcome along!

It will drive with massive body roll compared to normal and without the full castor correction ( bushes will only sort out a 2" lift) the steering will feel different.

I have somply got used to mine and I have no caster correction and have no issues wth it. You just have to drive it according to it's handling characteristics, like any modified and lifted offroader really.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 11 Apr 2011 16:44 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phillingham

• NickG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2011 19:41 #14849 by NickG
Replied by NickG on topic Re: Dodgey handling after 3" lift
My Jimny with a 4.5" spring fift and a 2 " body lift is not that bad realy
but i fitted a ORA stablizer kit and it made the steering heavy and
realy drove like a dog so i pulled it of ( after 30 miles ) much happer
now .:P :P
So if any body wants it £££ PM me

More
11 Apr 2011 20:03 #14852 by maverick
D&G Arms is the way forward ...

Jalapeño, IISY?

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds