× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

gear box

More
22 Apr 2024 05:29 - 22 Apr 2024 05:38 #255724 by paul2u
gear box was created by paul2u
i have a new to me 2008 jimny in very good nick been well looked after , it is to replace my 2005 hard working model which has sadly  fell to rust , my new one has push button 4x4 and i already dont like it , so my question on this one is can i just swap over boxes and cut a hole out for the stick, my 2005 has a v v t engine same as new one
Last edit: 22 Apr 2024 05:38 by paul2u.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2024 05:55 #255725 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic gear box
Hi, you can replace the gearbox and transfer case from the older model, but you will drop high gear ration (about 10%). There is a plate to unbolt for the manual lever box.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w
The following user(s) said Thank You: paul2u

More
22 Apr 2024 06:20 #255726 by paul2u
Replied by paul2u on topic gear box
ahh thanx for that apart from driving it 300 miles home when i bought it , i tried the low box out and it didn't seem to work whilst the high box worked ok , are you saying that the newer one is a higher ratio than the old one , once i get it out of the garage i will get a better go at it to see if its ok or not , am fitting a tow bar just now , and still using my old jeep as my run around , what do you mean by transfer case ? would that be transfer box ? cheers for that

More
22 Apr 2024 10:19 #255727 by me101
Hi, the transfer box and gearbox are different ratios on the older style. If you want the stick shift transfer box, you will need to fit the older gearbox (unless someone tells me otherwise!). This will also allow you to run slightly bigger tyres (I have 215/75/15 on this set up), but you are at very high revs on the motorway. If you do this, you will probably be able to sell your current gearbox for enough to cover the swap if it is in good condition. Someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction for the gear ratio chart.

More
22 Apr 2024 10:30 #255729 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic gear box

ahh thanx for that apart from driving it 300 miles home when i bought it , i tried the low box out and it didn't seem to work whilst the high box worked ok

If you were used to the stick selection you might want to check out the wiki article on the differences in operation between stick and push buttons
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/4WD...ion_system_operation

I remember my Gen3 would always go in and out of 4WD but would sometimes refuse 4WD-L, I think it was something to do with the clutch been pressed in, possibly whilst in gear.  Certainly, at a complete stop (possibly hand brake on) and in neutral it seemed to go in and out of 4WD-L.

I am not sure what the indicator lights tell you when trying 4WD-L, perhaps you could check them against the fault finding guide here
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/4WD..._failure_diagnostics

I would have thought that a gearbox and transfer box change is quite a bit of work?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Apr 2024 10:30 #255730 by me101
Just a thought - did you have your foot on the pedals when trying low box?

More
22 Apr 2024 16:50 #255733 by paul2u
i think i had the clutch pressed as i would normally with the stick , will get a better go at it when i get this tow bar fitted tonight , will get back and let you know how i get on

More
22 Apr 2024 16:53 #255734 by paul2u
if the job needs to be done all i was after was changing the push button box out if that's possible , in all my years of suzuki jeeps its a job i have never had to do

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Apr 2024 18:47 #255736 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic gear box
If you just swap the transfer box then you go from 1:1 high to 1.3:1 high so unless you then fit a set of 235s you will have a very under geared high range resulting in very high revs for relatively low road speed.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 May 2024 19:54 #255909 by paul2u
just an update on where i got to ! the problem was in two parts firstly my bad , as with the old jeep you automatically pressed the clutch to go to four wheel drive , but when i got a button to press i failed to do this , once i got that sorted it was then just down to the lack of use due to a nice lady driver for many years on tarmac , so every day i kept working the buttons and now it all works perfect , just got the back seal to do and thats it thanx very much for all your input

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds