BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:new Gen4 or not ?

More
05 Jan 2024 14:31 #253266 by Halford
new Gen4 or not ? was created by Halford
Hello, it's been a while ..... 
Since selling my 2007 jimny and getting a yeti (which was nice), then selling the yeti for my current AWD hybrid ignis (which is OK) - I recall that every time I got out of the Jimny, I had a smile on my face. When I get out the ignis, there's nothing, maybe sometimes there's relief that I made it home in one piece .... 

I've noticed that there are some new gen4's around at sensible prices (not the stupid post covid £5k hikes) and have started thinking mmmmh, might like one.

What do gen4 peeps think of the 1.5 engines compared to the old 1.3, and does the grin factor still exist. What are the tyres like on tarmac; thankfully they're not the pevious Bridgestone Sliders.

I see they've reverted to a gear selectable 4wd rather than button, assume this will be more reliable longer term.

OMG I really shouldn't be going down this road, but I think momentum may be building.
Thanks for comments
Hal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2024 14:54 #253267 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic new Gen4 or not ?
It’s still got the grin factor and when you see another one on the road you will smile. Engine wise I don’t think you will really notice much difference to the 1.3 so don’t be expecting it to be a rocket ship.

A lot of people are swapping out the tires to put All terrains on to give it more a chunkier look and some still say the standard tires aren’t good enough. I can’t comment as I put mud tires on my 3 straight away. The 4wd system is back to the more robust gear selector but they still have the vacuum hubs which we will no doubt see fail as they get older. Also since new there seems to some sort of transfer box chain issue in the new jimnys which Suzuki keep trying to fix. All 3 of mine have had to have replacement/multiple chains. My view is most people just put up with it or they don’t have the issue.

If you get one I don’t think you will be missing the ignis whereas if you sell a Jimny you will miss it so you should get one :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halford

More
05 Jan 2024 15:08 - 05 Jan 2024 15:09 #253268 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic new Gen4 or not ?
Can't say I had any issues with the standard tyres. They seemed to work well in all conditions IMO.

Engine is nice and smooth and eager to the red line. Although it does lack a bit of grunt. In many ways a 1.6-2.0 turbo diesel with 120hp and a fat torque curve would have been so much better.

Full details of my views here:

Last edit: 05 Jan 2024 15:09 by 300bhpton.

More
05 Jan 2024 16:02 - 05 Jan 2024 16:02 #253269 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic new Gen4 or not ?
They're the LCV, so no rear seats, test driving will be difficult if you're tall (the load divider needs taking out or moving for taller drivers) and spec is a bit basic - steel wheels, lots of black plastic on the outside.

None of that really bothers me - they at least have aircon - but it is a 2 seater van.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2024 16:02 by rogerzilla.

More
05 Jan 2024 16:24 #253270 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic new Gen4 or not ?
thanks rogerzilla
yeh my gen 3 only had 2 seats and I had seat runner extensions, so was expecting to take out or mod the rear divider, personally prefer steel rims and love black plastic rather than soft paint, lol the jimny has always been a van, marginally better than Trotters 3 wheeler

More
05 Jan 2024 16:29 #253271 by Halford
great video 300bhpton
love the front bumper, will watch it in full on TV

your dealership experience is shocking, bought my ignis new and salesman was brilliant, but aren't they all, service dept however was pretty crap, whilst cheaper for servicing than I'd expected, won't use them once warranty approaches expiry. looks like Suzuki have really gone down hill over the last few years.

More
05 Jan 2024 17:07 #253273 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic new Gen4 or not ?
A few of the dealers were selling the LCV at the old list price SIMS Suzuki was one of them and I don't know if Martin still has the deal, but he negotiated a BigJimny discount at one garage on a new LCV.

Not trying to talk you in to one and I am still on a Gen3 but looking round here a new LCV at £21,500 with warranty and 3 or 4 year old Gen4 (with four seats) at £23-£25k with little in the way of warranty, it doesn't make sense to go for the 3 or 4 year old, just to gain 2 more seats in the back unless you have to have them.

I would consider a new LCV, but my other car is a two seater and I am not sure I can drop down to only 2 seats in both cars. Of course my missus has 5 seats in her car, but getting a loan of it is near to impossible.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
05 Jan 2024 17:42 #253275 by Halford
Thanks Dr Robin where abouts are you, I'm in Allendale

More
05 Jan 2024 17:50 #253276 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic new Gen4 or not ?
I should also add that one downside to the LCV is higher tax and insurance compared to a 4 seat Jimny.

More
05 Jan 2024 17:58 #253277 by jackonlyjack

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jan 2024 20:00 #253279 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic new Gen4 or not ?
I have finally found a 4 that I like the look of, well a Japanese body kit for one anyway, makes it look a little like a Renault 5 rally car. But what puts me off is the as far as I am aware all lcv are manual and whilst I need a van I'm not going back to a clutch for anything that is not an lj80.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jan 2024 06:43 #253284 by Doctorchris
Replied by Doctorchris on topic new Gen4 or not ?
I have a four year old SZ4, therefore the same spec as the LCV but with the useful extra 2 seats. It has been driven nearly 35,000 miles without any problems.
I like the appearance of the black steel wheels and keeping them looking good is easier than with alloy wheels. I prefer the lower tech spec, except for the DAB radio which has dementia and regularly forgets the station settings. The Halogen headlights are fine on dark country lanes when fitted with upgraded bulbs.
We have taken many long motorway trips and at 65 mph they have been stress-free. However, local trips here in North Somerset are the best fun. The Jimny is ideally suited to the narrow, wet and muddy lanes across the Levels or up into The Mendips. The gearing is low and the engine has plenty of torque which means fewer gear changes.
The transfer box graunching sound was cured by the chain-replacement fix. Due to the very low depreciation, running costs are very low.
The standard tyres are fine as long you remember the Jimny is not a modern sports car on wet or muddy roads.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds