BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

*STOLEN* Jimny White SZ4 north east Derbyshire

More
04 May 2023 19:12 #248959 by lightning
Are we talking old model or new (2018 onwards) Jimny here?
l've not heard of any new versions being stolen, but as there's no specific forum for stolen Jimnys (there is one for Land Rover) we may not find out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 May 2023 03:26 #248962 by Lambert
I think for the most part all Jimny are relatively safe from theft much like most other models, they do get taken but don't seem to be particularly targeted. Land rover defender on the other hand is both desirable and easily stolen using not much more than a stick so it's inevitable that they are a priority target.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 May 2023 04:49 - 05 May 2023 04:51 #248963 by yakuza
I bought some SJ413 gear off a lady some 20-25 years ago. Alloy wheels, soft top and a front bull bar. Sold because her car was stolen. At the time I thought it was funny why someone had stolen a SJ. But I guess she was telling the truth as she worked at the Police / Court House.
Car theft is very rare here, only the odd joy rider or drug head in need of transport so you will get your car back when it is left in the next town.

I have seen videos of how easy Toyotas are stolen and new electronic starting systems easily hacked or the key copied wireless.
One should think that there are both more desirable and easy targets than your Jimny.

I tend to leave my SJ doors unlocked so no stupid theif smash the window or ruin the door lock or cut open the soft top.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 05 May 2023 04:51 by yakuza.

More
05 May 2023 10:56 #248965 by facade
Can someone ask the thieves what they do to bypass the immobiliser?
And then tell the rest of us, AFAIK no-one here has managed it in the few seconds that they can.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
05 May 2023 12:33 #248966 by Scimike
I was wondering the same, is it that easy to override the immobilizer or did they steal the key?
How did this SZ4 get stolen?  An idea may help improve the security. The tea leafs already know, it's the rest of us kept in the dark.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
05 May 2023 14:53 - 05 May 2023 14:55 #248970 by facade
Easy to speculate, but they could have software to re-programme the immobiliser to a transponder they have, but if that was the case you'd expect them to have some master keys as well, and they could clear an area of jimnys in an evening with no damage, and move onto the next area the next day.

They shouldn't be able to bypass the immobiliser with wiring, if they can it would be very useful to know how.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 05 May 2023 14:55 by facade.

More
05 May 2023 17:19 #248972 by LM42
Read somewhere that some cars can be unlocked by plugging in a special obd reader/writer (In this case it was made to look like a game boy ) thru the headlight connection

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

More
05 May 2023 17:21 #248973 by LM42

More
07 May 2023 19:04 #248997 by martinjsmith6

www.theregister.com/2023/04/06/can_injection_attack_car_theft/

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I’m a tech for Toyota main dealer and we have least 1-2 CHR and RAV4 a month that have been attempted theft or stolen then recovered. 

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds