BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

cambelt change

More
21 Dec 2021 17:59 #240728 by mag
cambelt change was created by mag
Hi all

1999 Jimny , what is recommended mileage / age change for cambelt , struggling to find any info

If it snaps , does it wipe out the engine or is it a " safe " engine

Only ever owned newer , chain driven jimnys 
TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2021 19:46 - 21 Dec 2021 19:47 #240729 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic cambelt change
60,000 miles or 100,000 km, as far as I know, it's non-interference, but I'd prefer not to take the chance.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2021 19:47 by fordem. Reason: correct typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

• Michaelc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2021 09:51 #240748 by Michaelc
Replied by Michaelc on topic cambelt change
If the cam belt snaps, the valves hit the top of the pistons and depending on the revs of the engine it will bend the valve rods or destroy the pistons and the valves. It’s not a good think to happy. Best if you are unsure if it’s not been done get the belt and it’s followers replaced, not just the belt.

More
23 Dec 2021 12:05 #240750 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic cambelt change
My cambelt came loose on my 1999 Jimny a few years ago, so I think you'll most definitely have the G13b engine which is non-interfacing (as mentioned) - no damage in theory. I was on the motorway doing 65 when mine had its issue and it still lives to tell the tale. 

• Michaelc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2021 14:07 #240754 by Michaelc
Replied by Michaelc on topic cambelt change
You must be lucky. I had a cam belt go just after I started my car. When I took the head off, I found three valve rods bend and one piston head marked but ok to keep. I found a bolt for one of the rollers had come off and got between the belt and the cam, leading to the belt giving out. But as I said if you are unsure if it’s been done or not best to get it done.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds