BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Des Sol User experience/ Insuring Modified car in Ireland

• Charlie Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Dec 2021 13:16 #240609 by Charlie Horse
Finally ready to start kitting out my Jimny!

Topic 1. Based in Ireland there are not a lot of options for offroading/aftermarket parts.
I found a company based in South Africa DES SOL that look pretty legit.
des-sol.co.za/
Decent prices, good customer service so far...
Doe anyone have any experience in dealing with them? If so then any info would be greatly appreciated.

Topic 2. It looks like it is going to be difficult in getting insured on the Jimny if I do go ahead with modifications (specifically the lift kit).
Anyone have recommendations on Insurers in Ireland who will insure a car with modified suspension?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2021 15:34 #240612 by lookonimages
95% of aftermarket goodies for my previous gen3 and current gen4 came from Dessol.

exceptional value for your money.
can't fault any of their products to date.

always had exceptional after sales service.

their products are made for the off road enthusiasts and is being thoroughly tested. check out their Instagram page. it is not "bling" accessories for mall crawlers. their products are made to take abuse.

all their products are solid steel and extremely well build.

on gen4 I basically have all their products in their shop. only missing is the latest released roofrack, for which I have no purpose.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
13 Dec 2021 15:56 #240613 by Gadget
I've got the Des-Sol breather kit fitted to mine, good quality stuff. Communications were pretty good and although shipping took a while, I didn't have any trouble receiving the parts. I'd use them again.

• Charlie Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Dec 2021 17:05 #240620 by Charlie Horse
Thanks for the feedback! Can I ask what the rough cost of shipping was? I'm looking at bumper, lift kit, rock sliders and snorkel. that plus the VAT could push it outside my budget.

More
13 Dec 2021 17:39 #240621 by lookonimages
best to send Rob or Lynton an email. comparing shipping cost of breather kit with bumper / lift kit cannot be compared.

dessol will be able to give you a much better cost as he use actual shipping company prices.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

more contact details can be found here.
des-sol.co.za/contact/

for cell numbers. discard first 0 and add +27 to numbers

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie Horse

More
13 Dec 2021 17:44 #240622 by Soeley
Although I can't comment first hand on there products as I have never used them or seen them up close. I have just looked at there Rocksliders, they do look very much like JimnyBits Rocksliders from the outside. But the mounting on the Des Sol looks quite long, and I can imagine if you do get hung up on them there could be  a fair amount of flex due to the length of the mount, especially the front mount? They could also be extra points to get snagged on?

These are just my hyperthetical thoughts and I might be completely wrong. But look at the JimnyBits ones and see what you think, they might turn out cheaper as well with postage??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie Horse

More
15 Dec 2021 12:41 #240659 by saxj

Although I can't comment first hand on there products as I have never used them or seen them up close. I have just looked at there Rocksliders, they do look very much like JimnyBits Rocksliders from the outside. But the mounting on the Des Sol looks quite long, and I can imagine if you do get hung up on them there could be  a fair amount of flex due to the length of the mount, especially the front mount? They could also be extra points to get snagged on?

These are just my hyperthetical thoughts and I might be completely wrong. But look at the JimnyBits ones and see what you think, they might turn out cheaper as well with postage??
I'm not sure how the Jimnybits sliders are mounted, but I seem to recall they mount to the body mounts. I had a previous set of rock sliders that used that mounting system, and they transmitted a lot of noise into the interior of the car. The Des-Sol ones mount to the chassis. I have put mine through some serious abuse, and I have never got hung up on them. There is a bit of flex, but that is desirable.

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2021 12:17 #240694 by MrPaynterZA
It looks like you've been well advised already, but I wanted to just reiterate that the service and quality of accessories from Des Sol is top notch.

I have gone ahead with the lift kit, spacers and some of the under-body protection and the car handles infinitely better on and off road, and I have zero complaints!

More
17 Dec 2021 17:36 - 17 Dec 2021 18:07 #240701 by mlines
Not sure what you have? Be aware that the South African Gen4 Jimnys do not have the chassis strengthening boxes fitted. You will need to check if South African rocksliders will fit as the boxes will get in the way.

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 17 Dec 2021 18:07 by mlines.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds