BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gearstick vibration - how much is normal?

More
16 Apr 2021 14:23 #234507 by slickfonzy
Hi all,

I picked up a 2013 Jimny (23,000 miles) in December, the first Jimny I've owned.  There's some vibration through the gearstick (most noticeable at idle), nothing bone-shaking but still moderate.  Is some vibration normal for a Jimny?  It's not something I've noticed on any car I've owned before, but wondered if it's one of the peculiarties of the Jimny.  I've checked the transfer box mounts and rear engine mount, there's a very small amount of play (presumably a small amount in the rubber is normal?) but nothing excessive.

Any thoughts most welcome!

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• justintime441
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2021 15:09 #234508 by justintime441
Replied by justintime441 on topic Gearstick vibration - how much is normal?
light vibration is normal.. if you can, jack the engine up slightly and see if the vibration is reduced

More
16 Apr 2021 15:28 #234509 by jackonlyjack
When checking rear engine gearbox mount did you jack up the gearbox ?
These can delaminate and being a V shape can look in good condition
at a glance and giving it a wiggle 
Only way is jack up the box see if it separates 
The following user(s) said Thank You: slickfonzy

More
16 Apr 2021 20:00 #234511 by Scimike
I can't actually say that I have noticed any vibration at all from the gearstick in the years I have owned our Jimmy.
Is it a visual or audible vibrate, or both?
I'll start mine tomorrow (it's dark now) and take a look, maybe drop a video if I still think it's vibration free.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: slickfonzy

More
16 Apr 2021 21:06 #234519 by slickfonzy
Thanks all for your replies.  I didn't jack up the gearbox when looking at the rear engine mount, I'll do that and see what I find.  There is a visible shaking of the gearstick at idle, but it's the feel that's especially noticeable.  I'll take a video in the daylight on Sunday and pop a link on here.

More
16 Apr 2021 21:35 - 16 Apr 2021 21:37 #234520 by DrRobin
My 2011 gear stick vibrates a little bit, you can’t hear it or really see it, but if you put your hand on it you can feel it.

Still it is not surprising, a long rod connected to the engine, it would be a miracle if it didn’t vibrate a little.

If it is bad enough to jump out of gear then that would be something else.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 16 Apr 2021 21:37 by DrRobin.

More
17 Apr 2021 09:44 - 17 Apr 2021 09:49 #234524 by Scimike
As the Dr had said it vibrates a little I had to look again at mine as I could not recall this, and Yes, it vibrates a little!
I stand by my original comment in that I had never noticed, it so small and the "feel" is a much reduced damped version of engine vibration. It fades into insignificance compared to the general rumble and sway of a Jimny, I guess that's why it never registered with me.
It's not any worse or better than any other vehicle I have owned.
Here's a video of my Jimmy at about 900 rpm, engine still warming up. 2009 M13a VVT. Desperately trying trying to avoid all the double entendre that this subject evokes 

sorry about the sound, my engine does not normally sound like this, a few less birds / tractors for a start.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Apr 2021 09:49 by Scimike.

More
17 Apr 2021 12:44 #234526 by Michael83
Few things it could be.

Main v shape mount under neath as stated by lads above.

Two small top rubber mounts.

Bush on end of gear linkage rod where it meets the gearbox.

Dust seal on same rod and two needle bearing inside gear linkage.

I'd take the shroud and the clamping rings off the gearstick and have a look for water mud inside gear linkage. That'll tell you if the seal and/or needle bearings are knackered.

I've just had this issue myself. Loose and rattly slowly getting worse then one day gear stick stuck in 3rd. Two needle bearings and a seal was £70ish quid.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds