BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise

• 888nmc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2019 17:51 #214706 by 888nmc
GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise was created by 888nmc
Does anybody think it's a bit excessive? I'm finding myself checking over my shoulder to make sure the door's closed properly.

Maybe i'm noticing it more now the roads are wet. Having the rear seats up muffles it, but I usually drive with mine flat.

I've checked my door rubbers and it seems to have a good seal. Can anything be done to reduce the noise?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2019 17:57 #214707 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise
Can't help I'm afraid gen 3 owner

But a subwoofer would..... :whistle: :whistle: :)

More
13 Oct 2019 18:40 #214708 by facade
Replied by facade on topic GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise
I haven't noticed anything, but I don't drive it in the wet.

It cost £20,000. I am NOT getting it wet, that is what the Renault Nissan is for :)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
13 Oct 2019 18:43 - 13 Oct 2019 18:46 #214709 by mlines
I have not noticed it as excessive for a vehicle with a lot of bare metal inside. I can hear it in both the Gen3 and Gen4 but not so it's annoying.

We have a vibration buzz from the dashboard that goes when something warms up. Something like part of the heater vents or something with a warm bulb in it. Has anyone had this? Also, when solo driving I get a rattle from the metal end of the unused seat belt on the passenger side against the plastic cover on the B pillar?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 13 Oct 2019 18:46 by mlines.

More
13 Oct 2019 18:46 #214711 by mlines

facade wrote: I haven't noticed anything, but I don't drive it in the wet.

It cost £20,000. I am NOT getting it wet, that is what the Renault Nissan is for :)

That's exactly James' policy, he was tramatised today as we felt we had to take it out as the rain had kept it in the garage all week

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
13 Oct 2019 19:11 - 13 Oct 2019 19:15 #214712 by Gadget
Not noticed any noise from the rear in mine, but I've soundproofed the rear panels and floor with Dynamat which might have killed any noise. Details on the soundproofing here:

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...sz5?start=132#209035
Last edit: 13 Oct 2019 19:15 by Gadget.

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2019 19:15 #214713 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise
I have only ever driven with the seats down as I have a tray fitted and dont need the rear seats. I have never had any issue about wind noise from the rear door. I have driven in all weathers, including a very wet 3 hour drive last week.

• 888nmc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2019 19:28 #214714 by 888nmc
Replied by 888nmc on topic GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise
Hmmm. Sounds like it warrants a bit more investigation then. I'll get someone to chauffeur me while I sit in the back I think.

@Gadget. I dynamat'ed my rear outer panels when I did my speaker install so don't think it's that. I wondered if it was my spare wheel cover amplifying things but you have the same one.

Thanks all

More
13 Oct 2019 20:36 #214717 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise
Can't say I have noticed the noise to tell the truth (no other rattles or squeaks either :cheer: )

There are some vents behind the rear bumper, they have a rubber flap on them, wondering if one is stuck open?

• nogbad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2019 21:04 #214718 by nogbad
Replied by nogbad on topic GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise
We have a buzzing noise from dashboard only lasts a couple of minutes when we start up from cold then it's gone.

• Martyin3d
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2021 11:43 #239516 by Martyin3d
Replied by Martyin3d on topic GEN 4 - Rear door wind noise
Where did you get to in the end with this? The wife and I have just bought a new Jimny and this was the first thing we noticed on the test drive. I actually stopped to check the door was closed properly. I assumed this was normal and just somethign we'd need to put up with but maybe that's not the case?

More
19 Oct 2021 15:29 #239520 by Roger Fairclough
Just being latched properly may not mean that it is closed properly.

Closed and latched requires the door to compress the rubber seal and be flush with the body and this includes the hinge side. On the 2 rear door system on the LC there was a very fussy system that you had to adhere to to get a proper seal that didn't squeak or rattle or let water in..

Best to pester the dealer.

Roger.

PS If he tries the comment "they all do it",

Mine doesn't.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds