BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wind deflectors

More
25 Oct 2013 08:33 #87860 by helijohn
Wind deflectors was created by helijohn
I'm in half a mind to remove mine. This always happens. I love them but after a while I get dischuffed with the way they obscure my view particularly when wet or frosty. The ones that come on motors I get are soon removed and I have even fitted them and removed them later.

Are these easy-off ones? They are Suzuki ones I think. There seem to be clips in the glass chanelling; if I pull whats going to happen?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maxlee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Oct 2013 08:47 #87861 by maxlee
Replied by maxlee on topic Wind deflectors
i found that crane flys like sleeping in them and if you jump in the jeep, wind the window down with out looking they then try to mug you!

More
25 Oct 2013 09:11 #87865 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Wind deflectors

maxlee wrote: i found that crane flys like sleeping in them and if you jump in the jeep, wind the window down with out looking they then try to mug you!

:laugh: :laugh: Spiders are my problem. They jump off the privet and make a home in door mirrors and such so there is always one in the deflector.

• RichiesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Oct 2013 09:33 #87866 by RichiesJimny
Replied by RichiesJimny on topic Wind deflectors
Take them off and give them to me :laugh: :laugh:

More
25 Oct 2013 09:36 #87868 by grumyoldjoe
Replied by grumyoldjoe on topic Wind deflectors
I have the type which are stuck onto the door itself.
Never felt any benefit of having them on when driving with open windows.
They look ok though especially as my 13 plate is black/grey
Have considered removing them but not sure what mess may be left to the paintwork where the glue strips are in contact with paint.

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it

More
25 Oct 2013 09:50 - 25 Oct 2013 09:59 #87870 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Wind deflectors
looks like they are the same as mine and slot into the channels, they simply flex slightly and pull out, they aren't fixed in any way, just be gentle yet firm (will probably help if you open the windows first though) :blink:

hang onto them for a while as I think you might want to put them back in the not too distant future and if they're obscuring your vision you must be sitting on too many cushions :laugh:

;)
Last edit: 25 Oct 2013 09:59 by Halford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: helijohn

More
25 Oct 2013 09:54 #87871 by helijohn

grumyoldjoe wrote: I have the type which are stuck onto the door itself.
Never felt any benefit of having them on when driving with open windows.
They look ok though especially as my 13 plate is black/grey
Have considered removing them but not sure what mess may be left to the paintwork where the glue strips are in contact with paint.

OMG I thought that was my motor in your avatar pic

Anyhooo, my Paj came with those really big deflectors and they got right in the way of the view. They were stuck on too and had clips which are an invitation to rust. I find the window channel ones (I've had a few on Vitaras and such) mess up the electric windows so prefer the stick on ones. I fitted some stick on ones to another Vitara and removed them a few weeks later before the glue had really take hold. They were tinted and a pain.

You can remove them 95-98% successfully. You need to go carefully and use lots of warmth. If they have been on a long time the glue will have probably reacted with the paint so you might find a colour difference or glue which will remain on the paint surface. Take a look at the pic of my Paj, the paintwork looks OK where they were fitted but if you go close up and take a very careful look you can see there were some fitted once. Most of the paint can be restored with T cut type of stuff as makes no never mind.
I got them off first by using thin cord like a toilet light pull as a swaing motion to cut through the padding. Once off I cleaned off teh residue as much as possible then cleaned up the paint.

Same thing when I debadge really. Some faint marks are to be expected but it's why I like older motors - I care a little less.

Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2013 09:56 #87872 by helijohn

RichiesJimny wrote: Take them off and give them to me :laugh: :laugh:

Much as I would love to :kiss: :kiss: I want to refit them in the summer which is why I need to know if they are a quick dismount.

More
25 Oct 2013 10:00 #87873 by helijohn

Halford wrote: looks like they are the same as mine and slot into the channels, they simply flex slightly and pull out, they aren't fixed in any way, just be gentle yet firm :blink:

hang onto them for a while as I think you might want to put them back in the not too distant future and if they're obscuring your vision you must be sitting on too many cushions :laugh:

;)

Thanks. I am sure I see clips in the channel so I'll need to take a close look in a moment. Bit cold just now for messing with plastic but I might give them a tug.
Well spotted, I actually have my seat raised by 3 to 4 inches but even before that I knew they would obscure the view as I am over 6' particularly at the A pillar when frosted or wet.

More
25 Oct 2013 10:28 #87876 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Wind deflectors

I actually have my seat raised by 3 to 4 inches ...................... I am over 6'

:blink: you don't live in Sleepy hollow do you, you must be pretty close to the roof :pinch:

that's got to be the cheapest 4 inch lift ever :whistle:

the wife wants a Jimny now

Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2013 10:48 - 25 Oct 2013 10:51 #87879 by helijohn

Halford wrote:
that's got to be the cheapest 4 inch lift ever :whistle:

the wife wants a Jimny now

It does make a difference actually.
Love the pic.

Anyhooooo, the deflectors are off. I want to see if the near misses I have been having now disappear. I was right. I have 4 clips holding the deflectors in place.

The fact you can see the clip here shows what I mean, I think it should not be visible but then again maybe the clip needs to hold the deflector between window and rubber. I am well mucking fuddled now. I might see if using only one clip in the tip edge will be enough

The clips are U sectioned and fit behind the rubber flaps; I guess the clips spread the rubber apart to make room for the glass. I tried refitting one without the clips and the glass slightly stuck but I will try them on again with some silicone spray when I get a chance. Some of the clips as you can see were not fitted like the others. Most of the clips had both flanges behind flaps in the window channel rubber but a few had only one behind so the glass was running in the one side of the clip. I wish I had take n a pic as words don't explain.

TBH, they might be off for good!! :( :(

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Oct 2013 10:51 by helijohn.

More
30 Oct 2013 18:33 #88626 by helijohn
Nearly a week now with them off and I must say the difference is noticeable.............they will be staying off. :)

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds