BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Spray standard steels black or buy new modulars?

More
02 Feb 2013 22:56 #60718 by minibbb
Am stuck between spraying my standard fairly rusty wheels black or buying new black modulars for about £40 each. What do most people do? I think the modulars have a better offset?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2013 23:02 #60719 by facade
I bought a set of standard steel wheels off eBay for £50 in good condition, so I have nice silver wheels again, not like the dirty dull black ones on my avatar.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• jerry
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2013 08:38 #60737 by jerry
I have black offset modulars, no need for wheel spacers to fill out the arches ..... ;)

More
04 Feb 2013 11:35 #60835 by 2013gary
I bought black modulars when I bought my M/T tyres. That way I've got a spare set of Jimny wheels with A/T tyres to stick on if I ever sell the Jimny.

If you've got somewhere to prep and paint the wheels, then this would be the cheapest option and it still looks good. As Facade says though they look quite dull when dirty. I think they look really nice when clean though.

Gary

More
04 Feb 2013 14:41 #60841 by minibbb
Thanks guys, although I'd love modulars I think ill try painting my steels and see how they look. Can they be balanced on the inside btw?

Also the plastic cone on the rear wheels

Do people tend to remove them or keep them on?

• Skinhead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2013 15:25 #60847 by Skinhead
I painted my standard wheels, they were in the same condition as yours, i cleaned the rust off an gave them a good clean with thinners to get any brake fluid off but the paint still chipped off. Ive bought modulars now, try tyres direct on ebay but buy them over phone its cheaper, or at least ring an get a quote.

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2013 19:47 #60888 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Spray standard steels black or buy new modulars?
I refurbed my old steel wheels. Took ages to sand off the rust even using a wire brush attachment on a power drill, then clean them up, then mask them, then primer, then paint (and then lacquer 'cos I did mine silver). They looked quite good at first, but after a while the rust started showing through again - they were still more presentable than when I started, but nonetheless they weren't exactly pristine. In the end I bought a set of alloys and sold the steels. If I had the time all over again I'd never have bothered with all the time and cost of refurbing the steels - go and buy the new wheels!

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2013 20:10 #60896 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Spray standard steels black or buy new modulars?
tin of hammerite and a brush :)

before

after

this was 2 years ago

now

Attachments:

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2013 21:20 #60909 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Spray standard steels black or buy new modulars?
I fitted white Sunraysia rims to my Jimny and trailer so that they are all the same.

Just have to change the boat trailer wheels next. Sunraysia's are only $80 each with standard (read el cheapo) road tyres on them.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2013 21:32 #60911 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Spray standard steels black or buy new modulars?
Static balance would have weights on the inside rim

More
05 Feb 2013 06:59 #60944 by minibbb
Thanks for the thought everyone, the condition of the set Im looking to refurb are like this

Not sure how salvageable this set is mind you!!

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2013 09:01 - 05 Feb 2013 09:09 #60948 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Spray standard steels black or buy new modulars?

minibbb wrote: Thanks for the thought everyone, the condition of the set Im looking to refurb are like this

Not sure how salvageable this set is mind you!!

give them a good clean up, brush off any lose rust and hammerite them smooth black - it will make them look much better for £7 + a brush until you decide if your going to invest in modulars or alloys

hammerite is designed to go over rust and the brushstokes smooth out as it dries - if you kerb them or rub them against a rock or tree :whistle: then they are easy to touch in
Last edit: 05 Feb 2013 09:09 by darthloachie.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds