BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wobbly O2

• JivingDaddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 17:07 #59712 by JivingDaddy
Wobbly O2 was created by JivingDaddy
Hi all you clever people.

Right, bought the wife an O2 on Thursday and we took it out into the country today and it didn't miss a beat. Although I think I'l buy the CO a sports bra - nearly got knocked out twice!

Anyway, took the dual carriageway home and climbing to 45mph all was fine, then the front started wobbling, reached 50 and all went smooth again. Slowing back down, same thing at 45 and then OK again. I suspect (hope) it's just wheel balancing as the problem is speed specific. Any opinions please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2013 17:20 #59716 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Wobbly O2
Most likely kingpin bearings. If the bearings are not worn, they may require shimming.
www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/Changi...KingPin_Bearings.pdf

Also try and find a tyre fitter who actually knows how to balance a wheel! This is often a discussed problem on the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JivingDaddy

• JivingDaddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 17:34 #59721 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic Wobbly O2
Many thanks for that supergaz (I think :ohmy: ). Fingers crossed it is just the balancing (which I'll try first) as I don't have the tools/skills to change the bearings and she (the car, not the wife) will end up at a garage (mega £££ probably).

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

More
26 Jan 2013 17:47 #59722 by supergaz
Maybe someone on here would do your Kingpin bearings? I can if you are within Lancashire, I can do it in my sleep now!
There is talk of the Spannish built O2 jimnys suffering this more due to manufacturing tollerence within the hubs, Suzuki's fix was to shim the bearings, but these are a weak point of the jimny, especially when used off road and with larger tyres.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 17:48 #59723 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Wobbly O2
When we had the o2 (2003) the kingpin bearings were ok but after many atempts at fixing the woble it came down to a shim on the bearings , had the tyres ballenced 5 or 6 times at different places and didnt solve it

• JivingDaddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 17:51 #59725 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic Wobbly O2
Thanks supergaz & reaper.

I'm on the borders of London & Kent. Bit of a treck to Lancashire, but a great idea. Thanks.

Anyone know a good reliable mechanic locally that I can trust with the wife's O2?

• Jimnyash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 18:33 #59735 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic Wobbly O2
Was shims on mine too (had the wheels balanced at 3 places).

Got them from the BigJimny online shop (very quick delivery) and did it within 30 minutes.

Made a big difference.

More
26 Jan 2013 19:50 #59751 by supergaz

JivingDaddy wrote: Thanks supergaz & reaper.

I'm on the borders of London & Kent. Bit of a treck to Lancashire, but a great idea. Thanks.

Anyone know a good reliable mechanic locally that I can trust with the wife's O2?

Markyp2000 is a mechanic on here down that area, might be worth sending him a message.

More
26 Jan 2013 20:32 #59757 by fast forward
Replied by fast forward on topic Wobbly O2
i have the same problem on my 02 54 plate . king pins ! now also needing brake pads and discs so can fit all new at the same time , good job reaper lives round the corner nudge nudge :blush:

if you cant go round it go over it ! or vice versa ?

More
26 Jan 2013 20:35 #59758 by fast forward
Replied by fast forward on topic Wobbly O2
just kidding mate ! :laugh:

if you cant go round it go over it ! or vice versa ?

More
26 Jan 2013 20:39 #59760 by pgatensuk
Replied by pgatensuk on topic Wobbly O2
I have read on here somewhere that the alloy wheels fitted to the O2 can also cause this problem and it was a known fault. I think the wheels can warp?? I am sure someone on here will correct me.

The dreaded Jimny death wobble is a most annoying fault that most owners have experienced at sometime and can be difficult to fix.

Not sure JivingDaddy if you know, but all soft tops where built in Spain and the hard tops come form Japan. There is talk of differences in build quality, but I'm not convinced.

I have had wobble on both the Jimny's I have owned. After checking wheel balance; wheel bearings and king pins. Check discs for warp (this fixed my problem in the past).

If you fit bigger tyres and wheel (heavier), this can also make the problem worse.

Shims have also been reported many times as a fix.

If you have checked all the above and still no joy, fitting a steering damper will also help (this worked on my current Jimny).

Good luck and let us know what fixed the problem.

Paul

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 21:31 #59767 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Wobbly O2

fast forward wrote: i have the same problem on my 02 54 plate . king pins ! now also needing brake pads and discs so can fit all new at the same time , good job reaper lives round the corner nudge nudge :blush:

No problem mate if you need a hand pop round . . . . .and i can show you where sponnie lives :-)

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds