BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

driving in snow

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 21:29 #59574 by Carrow
driving in snow was created by Carrow
Hi, I was driving home from work this evening in bad snow blizzard conditions, drifts across road, I had 4x4 engaged, and was doing great 20MPH, then i drove into an area of deeper snow, say 5 cm, where I slowed down a little with the gears to arround 10MPH(no Brakes applied), and then it happened, the tail end of the jimny was all over the place, I tried steering into the skid but the only way I managed to get back control was slight acceleration. Anyone else had this problem, is it a Jimny problem, or a bad 4x4 driver. :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 21:37 #59578 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic driving in snow
Your front wheels may not have engaged 4wd correctly
Search the forum there are loads of theads detailing how to check them :-)

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 21:44 #59580 by Carrow
Replied by Carrow on topic driving in snow
heard the usual click when the hubs locked, and the green 4wd light was lit up on dashboard. Without the 4x4 on, i was just wheel skidding, so I'm pretty sure it was engaged.

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 21:50 #59581 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic driving in snow
what tyres are you running, and how much tread is on them?

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 21:56 #59583 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic driving in snow
I find if i gear down in the snow my back end tends to try meet the front, but i'd say i'm alot more agressive than what you described,

say plodding in 4th and dropped to second, this is purposly to kick the back end into a slide for drifting etc, it happens in 4wd but more so in 2wd its great!

enjoy it whilst it here will be gone soon and everyone can go back to driving sensibly

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 21:57 #59584 by Carrow
Matador izzarda mp71 A/T, tread depth 6mm 'ish
www.matador-tyres.co.uk/products/4x4-tyr...tador-mp-71-izzarda/

• badboy-jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 22:39 #59592 by badboy-jimny
Replied by badboy-jimny on topic driving in snow
Id say it depends on tyres a fair bit. Plus snow is still snow whatever your driving, all I have done is pushed my jimny to the limit to see where the limits are in the ice and snow. Im with Ne Crock.... enjoy it while its here. I love the snow in my jim :)

• trevorjd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 22:48 - 25 Jan 2013 22:49 #59596 by trevorjd
Replied by trevorjd on topic driving in snow
It's does happen. So it's probably not your driving.i was driving on forestry roads doing a treasure hunt in a hilux last weekend and when your change down sometimes the back end would twitch a bit.....just enjoy it......not so bad after its happened a few times as you come to expect it a bit. The hilux was on road tyres.

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 22:49 by trevorjd.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 23:15 #59609 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: driving in snow
The J is very light and any variation in thickness and density of the snow as the wheels run through will give it the wobbles.

Just take it easy and it will get you through, just enjoy the ride :)

• Jimny J
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 00:38 #59627 by Jimny J
Replied by Jimny J on topic driving in snow
Its called lift off over steer. I had the same thing a few times, just gave it a lil bit more throttle and sorted itself out. Well most of the times anyway :)

Have to say, the fact you can go too and from 4wd whilst moving is quite handy at times!

• Jimny J
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 00:44 - 26 Jan 2013 00:45 #59629 by Jimny J
Replied by Jimny J on topic driving in snow
Should add if it starts too do it in rwd, dont give it more throttle as it will slide even more! Worst case if your not going to fast is just go for the brakes and hope you dont slide into anything. I had mine completely sideways a few times the other night.

I find in the snow that my steering wheel knob really helped keep the front pulling in the right direction! Can really throw it around.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2013 00:45 by Jimny J.

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 18:40 #59739 by Carrow
Thanks for all your help, I did have another play in the snow ;) and managed to replicate the problem and a bit of acceleration brought it back, under control, it felt as though the front wheels lost grip.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds