BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Anyone else's Jimny not like the cold?!

More
16 Jan 2013 23:48 #58347 by minibbb
Used the Jim today for first time in a couple of days.......

Inside of windscreen frozen up!!

Strange squeal from the engine on acceleration... Seemed to go after a while. Belt?

Bloody check engine light come on again, was on when I bought it in November but went soon after until today!

Anyone else's having a funny turn?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 00:07 #58350 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Anyone else's Jimny not like the cold?!
Fingers crossed all OK , but internal icing just shows how much moisture is about fronm the rain and winter weather, squealing probably a belt - check puleys for bits of rubber dust to see which one it is, they need to be really tight,
atb
Mike

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 12:26 - 17 Jan 2013 12:39 #58368 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Anyone else's Jimny not like the cold?!
Mine has been bad for steaming up this winter with all the rain we have had... and it has frozen inside on the odd occasion

She is all ready for the heavy snowfall forecast tonight however :laugh:
According to the local forecast my area is high risk B)
Last edit: 17 Jan 2013 12:39 by adamatdraycott.

• BigMat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 12:32 #58370 by BigMat
Replied by BigMat on topic Anyone else's Jimny not like the cold?!
Lol my locks were frozen solid this morning joy of joys especially when you are in a rush :(

More
17 Jan 2013 14:47 #58383 by minibbb
Shall check the belts but they all looked fine the other week!

Could the engine light be cold weather related?

Hope it snows down in Sussex tomorrow as itching to see how the Jim copes!

More
17 Jan 2013 14:58 #58384 by gilburton
Definately the alternator belt. It's surprising the amount of drag the generator creates when charging the battery and you have the heater/wipers/lights all switched on.
As a temporary measure you can tighten it up but I would recommend a new belt if the surface of the belt is below the pulley edges or appears worn in any other way.
As for misting up this has been a long standing complaint of mine re the jimny. There is no through flow ventilation in the rear. My old 98 Jimny was terrible and I had hoped my 08 Jimny would solve it with the air con but not quite.
It helps a lot of course but the rear window and rear side windows still mist up.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
17 Jan 2013 15:07 #58387 by minibbb

gilburton wrote: Definately the alternator belt. It's surprising the amount of drag the generator creates when charging the battery and you have the heater/wipers/lights all switched on.
As a temporary measure you can tighten it up but I would recommend a new belt if the surface of the belt is below the pulley edges or appears worn in any other way.
As for misting up this has been a long standing complaint of mine re the jimny. There is no through flow ventilation in the rear. My old 98 Jimny was terrible and I had hoped my 08 Jimny would solve it with the air con but not quite.
It helps a lot of course but the rear window and rear side windows still mist up.

That's very helpful thanks mate!! Is it an easy job to change the alternator belt? Is it likely to just snap? Looks like ill need the car this weekend!

More
17 Jan 2013 15:13 - 17 Jan 2013 15:15 #58388 by gilburton
see how much slack you have at the moment but the old rule of thumb used to be around 1/2" deflection at the longest part of the belt without force.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...0035-alternator-belt

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 17 Jan 2013 15:15 by gilburton.

More
17 Jan 2013 15:24 #58391 by kirkynut
I'd change the alternator belt, it's probably gone harder with age so moisture causes it to slip easier.

The moisture causing the frozen screen could come from your shoes in view of how wet it's been everywhere recently. It's hard to solve if the car's not used daily to heat it up and get it out the windows.

I've seen these little bags like hesian sacks in Landrover mags that soak up moisture to stop this. Not sure what they call them or where you'd get them.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• MalcolmB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 17:39 #58399 by MalcolmB
Replied by MalcolmB on topic Anyone else's Jimny not like the cold?!
Hi...

Change the alternator belt ASAP!

I ignored the squeaking for a week or so and the belt snapped! Alternator light on, temp gauge rising rapidly. I was only a couple of miles away from home so I nursed the Jimny back OK apart from popping the expansion tank top off and ejecting half the coolant just as I pulled up!

I got both belts for about eight quid at my local Motor Factors (Speedo at Crook - highly recommended) You might as well change both while you're on. And get a spare pair.

I really advise taking the radiator out - it's much easier and it'll probably be quicker than trying to fiddle around behind the radiator cowl and leaving flesh all over the place.

Cheers

Malc

More
17 Jan 2013 17:40 #58400 by minibbb
Ill deffo try and get it changed I think.

Is it likely to just go suddenly though?

More
18 Jan 2013 20:12 #58543 by minibbb
Took the jimny into the garage today, turns out the lamda sensor has gone and the power steering belt looks worn so both being replaced on Monday. Hopefully will solve the problems!

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds