BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Petrol?????

• Rob2933
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 07:28 #52435 by Rob2933
Petrol????? was created by Rob2933
After sorting out a few problems with the little fella it seems that I still had a problem with a flat spot on pulling away or still struggling with hills but at last it's sorted I've been putting normal unleaded in my tank after talking to my mate he said use the prem fuel so I put a tank of shell vpower in it and bingo problem gone just wonderd if any body else has done this and notice the difference !! Thanks bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2012 08:28 #52439 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Petrol?????
What juice were you using before?

The premium stuff has benefits and i use a tank every now and then but not all the time. Despite people claiming its the same i avoid supermarket fuels in all my cars and avoid BP especially like the plague! Every car i've put BP in runs rough, most notably our focus a few weeks ago. I put £10 in and it was like it was running on 3, all lumpy and hesitant.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 08:36 #52441 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Petrol?????
Do you folks have ethanol blends? I find that my Jimny runs best on a 10% ethanol blend with a ron rating of 95. Our standard unleaded is only 91 ron and our premium is 96 ron. Given that the ethanol blend is cleaner burning I have stuck with it for years and the car is very happy with it. Also it's the cheapest fuel available here.

• Rob2933
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 08:44 #52443 by Rob2933
Replied by Rob2933 on topic Petrol?????
I used esso from the top of my road but I've never had a problem until now as I had a diesel truck this is the first time I've used petrol in a few years it just amazed me the difference between the fuels makes you wonder how many people take ther cars to the garage because there running lumpy and get hammers with a large bill at the end of it why can't they bring back four star lol

• Rob2933
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 08:46 #52444 by Rob2933
Zook I think they only use it for racing here

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 10:30 #52449 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Petrol?????
Thanks Rob, I've always wondered. We have fuels up to 85% ethanol here, it's a bi-product from the sugar-cane industry. What about LPG fuel? That is half price or less than petrol and I run my Shelby on it, $35 for 550k's on a supercharged 300c.i. (4.9l) straight DOHC six. A few guys with Jimny's here have the Liquid Injection LPG systems and they cost nothing to run and have 68l gas tanks.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 10:42 #52450 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Petrol?????
For quite a few years now I have only used Shell or Esso.
No matter what you hear that it all comes from the same refinery, ‘supermarket’ fuel (petrol) is not the same imo.

• Headless
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 12:21 #52454 by Headless
Replied by Headless on topic Petrol?????
I think with small low powered engines the difference in fuel can be felt the most, I've only had my Jimny about 2 weeks now so can't comment on that, but I have a smart car with a small 700cc turbo engine and the difference in grades and makes can be huge, I now only use the Shell V-power, it's 99RON and it suits my smart well, and I've noticed that £40 of V-power although more expensive per litre gets you just as far as £40 of cheapo stuff, cos it burns more efficiently and the added bonus of loads more power, so I might try a tank of this in the Jimny!!!!

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 15:49 #52469 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic Petrol?????

Do you folks have ethanol blends?

Yes but they are not very common, my nearest supplier is 20 miles away (although my nearest petrol station is 10 miles away). I would have to agree with you about engines running well on it my chainsaw hates regular or even premium unleaded in comparison.

Mark

More
06 Nov 2012 17:14 #52482 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Petrol?????

Tadpole wrote: For quite a few years now I have only used Shell or Esso.
No matter what you hear that it all comes from the same refinery, ‘supermarket’ fuel (petrol) is not the same imo.

I'm the same, only use esso, shell or total. As a rule i can use shell without having to go out of my way so stick to that. Ive not used supermarket fuel for 5years or more now. Some say that the branded stuff has additives in the tankers but use the same refinery as the supermarkets? Regardless, i know the car runs better without the supermarket stuff or BP(being the worst and dearest) so see little point in changing. Price is irrelevant too as the stations price match the supermarkets round here.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Rob2933
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 18:08 #52494 by Rob2933
Just a thought can we add ethanol to our petrol to give it more bang or is that not possible also would it do damage

• DVs-Jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2012 18:17 #52497 by DVs-Jimny
Replied by DVs-Jimny on topic Petrol?????
I see no reason to increase the octane level unless your ECU is mapped for higher octane fuel. To the best of my knowledge there is no improvement by using super fuels in a standard Jim that is calibrated for 95 ron go go juice...

95 ron is the ordinary juice in the UK but in Aus they have 91 ron which may be why their cars respond better with higher octane fuels/additives??

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds