BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Really Want A Jimny Now

More
17 Jul 2012 12:10 #44323 by Alan16ac
How do you guys find driving them daily?
I'm really wanting one now.
Need to sell the Mini!

Anyone in the northwest area/north east wales fancy showing me a modified one?

Sent from my iPhone using klatapaT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ShuDuck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 12:19 #44325 by ShuDuck
Replied by ShuDuck on topic Re: Really Want A Jimny Now
I drive mine daily, and I always think about how much I love it B) 2" lift and 235/75, very good road manners. Rides better than stock with trailmaster comfort

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 12:51 #44328 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Really Want A Jimny Now
Mines not a daily drive, just a weekend toy but.
If you are driving any sort of distance then the Jimny is not great in my opinion. It starts to struggle at anything over 60mph and does like to wander around a bit. Its not terrible but its not great either, its rather tiring on the motrway

If you are just using it round town then its great for an everyday car, particulalry if you get one thats a bit off road battle scarred already so you don't worry about the paint work!

Overall its a hoot to drive but personally I wouldn't want to use it every day for any sort of distance (although plenty of people do).

Its a whole world of difference from your mini...

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 13:06 #44331 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Really Want A Jimny Now
I drive my largely standard Jimny daily... and its not the most comfortable... but fine for the odd longish journey.

As goatboy says... you can't really rush a Jimny, but they are great fun on and offroad.

If i could afford two cars (and had the room) i'd have a Swift Sport for the daily commute

More
17 Jul 2012 15:11 #44353 by gilburton
Go to a dealer who has a standard one for sale(new or s/h) and try it out first. They do grow on you but a lot depends on your driving style and route. They are not family cars.Try it out over bumpy side roads as well as smooth tarmac at speed and more sub 55mph driving.
Compared with a new mini it won't handle or perform. It's as bumpy/noisy as an old classic mini though but still doesn't handle as well.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
17 Jul 2012 15:51 #44358 by Alan16ac
Replied by Alan16ac on topic Really Want A Jimny Now
I understand it's going to be nothing like the Mini. But I fancy a change. Bought the Mini for fast cornering and fun driving.
Now I want to go where no Mini can!
Off road!

Most of my journeys are short. But I will do the occasional trip to Liverpool. But I tend to drive my Mini at 55 anyway on the M53 to save fuel.

Is the grand vitara as good off road?

More
17 Jul 2012 15:54 #44359 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Really Want A Jimny Now
Gary (FunkyJimny) on this forum has a full blown off-road version (road legal) for sale in the North West

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
17 Jul 2012 16:01 - 17 Jul 2012 16:01 #44360 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: Really Want A Jimny Now

Is the grand vitara as good off road?

don't know what era/age you're looking at

but if you are looking for new/nearly new = not as good as a Jimny offroad but still a good 4x4 (permanent 4x4) - and the wife's 2.4lt 3d 2011 is great on-road - fast, quiet, smooth and sure-footed - everything a Jimny isn't :lol:
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 16:01 by Halford.

More
17 Jul 2012 16:19 - 17 Jul 2012 16:21 #44363 by robs5230
i find i am using mine more and more , though i do not need to as we have a family car. the shorter , lesser proportioned driver may be more comfortable ( i'm 6ft and 14 1/2 stone ) . i have driven on the motorway at 65 and its better than round the lanes. if you don't want to rush around , do it.
even a standard jimny with better tyres will be good fun off road. i bought mine pretty much as is but would really have preferred a standard one , but its what came along at the time.

standard jimny - for now
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 16:21 by robs5230.

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 16:27 - 17 Jul 2012 16:28 #44365 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic Re: Really Want A Jimny Now
i recantly bought my self a jimny, the only modification i've made is mud terrains, and its fantastic, as long as your concentrating it will get you just about anywhere, the only thing thats managed to stop me up to now is rutts.

i personally wish i bought a modified jimny as i didnt realise the cost of the modifications, so i may be selling up and buying another,

but best purchase i've made in a very long time!

i would recomend one to anyone, the off road ability out weighs the not so great road ability, but if you see it more as a toy you will get on just great.

one point in the wet my jimny turns into a drift car on mud terrains all good fun and games though.

crock

edit: also mine is my solo car so get used for everything, only complaint lack of rear space.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 16:28 by ne-crock.

More
17 Jul 2012 17:44 #44375 by Alan16ac
Replied by Alan16ac on topic Really Want A Jimny Now
Eeee getting excited the Mini is basically my toy to be honest!

But I'm changing my fast road car for a slow off road car!

The thought of tackling mud and rocks gets me excited!

• Goat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 17:58 #44378 by Goat
Replied by Goat on topic Re: Really Want A Jimny Now
I drive it to work everyday. The ride is harsh, its noisy, the MPG is rubbish, you can barely fit your shopping in, the steering is vague. Only car I've had that I can't wait to get in every morning and that's just commuting ;)

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds