BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

How low can you go with big tyres?

• Paul4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2012 18:04 #35457 by Paul4x4
How low can you go with big tyres? was created by Paul4x4
And by big tyres I mean mainly bigger than 31", but all pics are welcome!B)

I'm going with 3" spring lift + 33" tyres on my Jimny.

And bodylift is a curse word here, lol!:laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2012 18:31 #35460 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: How low can you go with big tyres?
Depends how much cutting you want to do , ultimatly you will lose out as smaller lifts offer less articulation

More
13 Mar 2012 19:24 #35469 by mcjimny
The only other option is to keep a minimal lift then get busy with the cutting gear! You'll still suffer with clearance though, especially at the front on the inner arch.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2012 20:25 #35480 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: How low can you go with big tyres?
Nowt wrong with a bodylift mate, doesn't bugger handling up like a spring lift does !!!

• Paul4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 03:43 #35492 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Re: How low can you go with big tyres?
There's everything wrong with bodylifts, because all you gain is some room for tyres, but that can be accomplished with cutting the arches too. And the biggest reason not to do it, is that you lift up the center of gravity of a truck that's already narrow and unstable in stock form.

I know what it takes to get big tyres fitted with minimal lift, but the main reason for this topic was that "how tall is your jimny" thread. There must be other than me who don't like to have the tallest truck in town, and still run big tyres!

So, let's see them pics!

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 08:15 #35495 by reaper
you seem to be missing tge point paul
we fit big tyres to gain ground clearence but in doing so it reduces articulatulation , so then we add spring lift
yes it raises c.o.g. but the benifts are a worth it.

if yoy dont use lift then its wings and most of the inner wings thay need removing at which point you are no longer road legal

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 08:20 #35497 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: How low can you go with big tyres?
37" With quite a lot of hacking around though ;) .

As mentioned, by savagely cutting the arches, you can gain 60mm or so radius. However, once that's done, the limiting factor is the width not the height. Extending the wheelbase by a couple of inches makes quite a big difference to what you can run.

Si

• Paul4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 10:38 #35501 by Paul4x4

reaper wrote: you seem to be missing tge point paul
we fit big tyres to gain ground clearence but in doing so it reduces articulatulation , so then we add spring lift
yes it raises c.o.g. but the benifts are a worth it.

if yoy dont use lift then its wings and most of the inner wings thay need removing at which point you are no longer road legal

No, I'm not missing anything. When you fit big tyres, you need to limit suspension travel in, I get that, BUT even though one would think you would lose a lot of articulation by doing so, you actually don't.

You only need like 2-3" of in travel, and you limit it to that with bumpstops. And when the axle articulates, the wheel pushes the axle against the bumpstop and that actually levers the wheel on the other end of the axle downwards. So in other words, what you loose in travel in, you get that back in travel out. And this is based on my own observations.

And when it comes to road legality, I don't have all the stupid rules that you guys might have there in the UK as I live in Finland...

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 10:44 - 14 Mar 2012 10:45 #35502 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: How low can you go with big tyres?
You seem to have your own opinion and dont want to listen to anyone elses... so why dont you just get on with it??
Last edit: 14 Mar 2012 10:45 by doncarlyon.

• Paul4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 10:51 #35503 by Paul4x4

doncarlyon wrote: You seem to have your own opinion and dont want to listen to anyone elses... so why dont you just get on with it??

That's exactly what I'm going to do!

I didn't ask for anyone's opinions, but instead wanted to see if anyone else liked to keep their trucks as low as possible, and maybe see some photos of those "low riders" with big tyres. :-)

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 11:37 #35504 by reaper
you wont find any , because we all do it the tryed an tested way ......yoy feel free to do it your way as you seem to just want to tell everyone else they are wrong

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 12:15 #35505 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: How low can you go with big tyres?

Paul4x4 wrote:

doncarlyon wrote: You seem to have your own opinion and dont want to listen to anyone elses... so why dont you just get on with it??

That's exactly what I'm going to do!

I didn't ask for anyone's opinions, but instead wanted to see if anyone else liked to keep their trucks as low as possible, and maybe see some photos of those "low riders" with big tyres. :-)

have a look at this thread
www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_ku...itstart=12&Itemid=75
the icelandic jimnies are the lowest i've seen with big diameter wheels

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds