BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Powder Coating

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2012 20:15 #30305 by Bigchridy
Powder Coating was created by Bigchridy
Just got myself a ORA front winch bumper for the Jimny!:) Obviously I need to get it painted or coated before I fit it. My question is how much should I be looking at to get it powder coated?

I've never had owt powder coated before so thought I'd best check what you guys first. Dont want to get ripped off!

Cheers

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2012 20:28 #30306 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Powder Coating
Personally i'd just DIY spray it, it's going to get some abuse and even though powder coating is tough its still reasonably easy to damage, especially on edges.
If you DIY you can at least rub it down and re do it when its looking a bit sorry. Take your time and prep it properly and theres no reason why it shouldn't look good.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2012 20:34 #30307 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Powder Coating

mcjimny wrote: Personally i'd just DIY spray it, it's going to get some abuse and even though powder coating is tough its still reasonably easy to damage, especially on edges.
If you DIY you can at least rub it down and re do it when its looking a bit sorry. Take your time and prep it properly and theres no reason why it shouldn't look good.

I did think about painting it myself. I have access to a workshop and compressor etc but I would need to buy a spray gun and thinners etc. Or do you mean brush paint it? I brush painted my last bumper on my disco and it was fine because like you said I could re paint it when it got damaged but it looked a bit crap up close as you could see the brush strokes.

Chris

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2012 20:46 - 08 Jan 2012 20:59 #30308 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Powder Coating
It all depends on the paint you use. Tekaloid is what coach painters use.But you can't rub it down like you can (could) with cellulose. However there is a new paint on the market called Rustoleum,that can be rubbed down and coated again. The VW fraternity use it a lot on there motors with amazing results. All from the end of a brush. Look it up on Google.
www.sickfly.virtualmidlands.co.uk/
Ian.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2012 20:59 by wanderinstar.

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2012 21:00 #30312 by Bigchridy

wanderinstar wrote: It all depends on the paint you use. Tekaloid is what coach painters use.But you can't rub it down like you can (could) with cellulose. However there is a new paint on the market called Rustoleum,that can be rubbed down and coated again. The VW fraternity use it a lot on there motors with amazing results. All from the end of a brush. Look it up on Google.
Ian.

Rustoleum does look pretty good. It's def worth considering. Would I need to prepare the bumper before I put primer on it?

Cheers

Chris

More
08 Jan 2012 21:03 - 08 Jan 2012 21:05 #30313 by mcjimny
A roller would eliminate the brush strokes unless you put enough coats on to wet sand it after to get a smooth finish. I'd go with rattle cans if you were to paint it yourself other than the products suggested above. Its all in the preparation of course but if its getting abuse a less than perfect finish will suffice.

I know people with over 10k in their trucks with powder coated roll cages and nice new resprayed panels. First outing and its all gashed up and they're bitching about it.

Last edit: 08 Jan 2012 21:05 by mcjimny.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2012 21:04 #30314 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Powder Coating
i just had quote of £40 for my newly purchased ora front and rear bumpers (for both)

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2012 21:04 #30315 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: Powder Coating
i got my cage blasted and powdercoated for £60 no bad i thought

but as others have said brush painted is easyer to touch up

More
08 Jan 2012 21:06 #30316 by mcjimny
How would something like protektakote(sp) stack up? The stuff used for painting pick up beds?

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2012 21:21 #30317 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Powder Coating

Rustoleum does look pretty good. It's def worth considering. Would I need to prepare the bumper before I put primer on it?

Cheers

Chris

I would just rub the metal bumper to take any knibs off it.You don't need primer.(They use this stuff on oil rigs and fishing boats). I painted a bonnet and bootlid on a Morris Minor with it.Got a fantastic finish.Still have about 1.5l left which I am painting my spare wheels with.Just putting black Hammerite on top of outward facing surfaces because the Rustoleum is in Trafalgar Blue and my Jimny is black.

More
09 Jan 2012 16:44 #30382 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Powder Coating

wanderinstar wrote: It all depends on the paint you use. Tekaloid is what coach painters use.But you can't rub it down like you can (could) with cellulose. However there is a new paint on the market called Rustoleum,that can be rubbed down and coated again. The VW fraternity use it a lot on there motors with amazing results. All from the end of a brush. Look it up on Google.
www.sickfly.virtualmidlands.co.uk/
Ian.

Wow, a whole 45 minute DVD of someone with a paint roller !! I can't wait to get a copy!! Seriously though it looks like good stuff.
Grey spray primer from poundworld does it for me though!! pity they don't do red primer as I wouldn't need a top coat for my Jim!!
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 18:01 #30389 by Bigchridy
Well my 1st quote for powder coating was £102!:woohoo:

I'm waiting on 2 more places to give me quotes but if their similar to that quote I will be painting it myself!!

Chris

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds