BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Breaking a Jimny...

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2011 13:10 #28691 by doncarlyon
Breaking a Jimny... was created by doncarlyon
Many people on here done it?

How much are you likely to make from breaking one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zuki andy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2011 13:17 #28694 by zuki andy
Replied by zuki andy on topic Re: Breaking a Jimny...
if you do, i want a passenger door handle. thanks andy.

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2011 13:58 #28699 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: Breaking a Jimny...
ha ha I will keep you in mind... its not something i have ever done before and dont even know if i would have the room to do it. Just wondering if it would be worth more in bits?

More
20 Dec 2011 18:50 #28728 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Breaking a Jimny...
After a certain age all cars are worth more in the sum of parts than as a whole, even if scrapped. The biggest problem is that you can wait forever to get your money back. You could strip everything off it and weigh in the shell and sell each bit or leave it and take bits off as you need to.
I've thought about it myself, buying a crashed jimny and keeping what i want and expensive parts for the future sensors etc, then sell the rest to at least break even. I just can't be bothered with the moeny drip feeding in.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
20 Dec 2011 19:33 #28741 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Breaking a Jimny...
You will very likely sell the engine, gearbox and front axle quickly, and then get stuck with the rest.

When I sold the Range Rover, I could have got more for the tailgate, axles and gearbox than I actually did for the whole car with an MOT :blink:

Then I'd have been stuck with a mess and disposing of the carcass.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• aniesigh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2011 21:31 #28768 by aniesigh
Replied by aniesigh on topic Re: Breaking a Jimny...
Depends what you pay for it as to wether its worthwhile, i paid £800, sold both axles and rad for £135 ,
engine for £175, spotlights for £50, and little bits and bobs, think i sold you something maybe?
still got bumpers (havent decided to sell them or not), gearbox, t-box and the interior, body and chassis but i need them for my project.

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2011 21:35 #28770 by doncarlyon
I will be ready to sell up around April time when the insurance runs out. It will have MOT and tax still so could just sell it. Just wondering if i would be better off breaking it, money-wise...?

Probably wont end up doing it though as I dont think i would have room to store all the bits. :(

More
21 Dec 2011 06:51 #28783 by mcjimny
If its not heavily modded, return it to standard and sell the off road bits then sell it as it stands.

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2011 11:47 #28808 by doncarlyon
I dont have the standard bits :(

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2011 15:26 #28820 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Breaking a Jimny...
I'm not convinced it would be worth breaking it,
If often is if the car is very rare or parts are very epxensive, the Jimny is neither of those.

have a quick look on ebay for all the major components, body panels, seats, engine, axles etc and see how much they are on there for. Add it up and see if it goes for more than you will get just selling.

I suspect it will be close but the ball ache and hours spent splitting the car, having a jimny in bits outside your house, and all the trips to the post office would probably make it not worth it.

More
21 Dec 2011 18:13 #28853 by mcjimny
It will make little difference if its modded but you have a bigger market with a standard truck.

As above though its just not worth it, it will be close. Save yourself the effort, advertise it properly and in the right places and you should have no real trouble.

Missing the obvious question though, how come your getting out of the Jimny?

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2011 19:10 #28860 by doncarlyon
I got it for some offroading and for winter use while my other car is off the road. I had hoped it would also be better on fuel that my Focus RS but it isnt...

Im planning on getting something cheap to run for work, so the Jimny will have to go unfortunately. :(

2 cars that do 25-26mpg and cost 200+ to tax isnt ideal :(

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds