BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tip for oil filter removal

• Chilgrove
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 15:01 #22487 by Chilgrove
Tip for oil filter removal was created by Chilgrove
I am sure many of you will already know this but it may be that some do not so I want to pass on a hint I discovered yesterday. I had bought a Draper chain oil filter removal tool but found the chain just slipped around and was as much use as a chocolate tea cosy.
So, brianwave, how about a piece of sandpaper (could not find any emery) and fold that around the filter to give more grip. I had the rough side to the filter. Still did not work so ultimate brainwave was to fold the sandpaper over so rough side onto both filter and the chain. It worked a treat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• happypig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 15:09 #22490 by happypig
Replied by happypig on topic Re: Tip for oil filter removal
A mate of mine used to advocate banging a nail into it.

More
25 Sep 2011 15:32 #22492 by facade
It shouldn't be that tight: smear oil on the sealing washer and tighten with one hand on the filter body only.
The book says spin it on and 3/4 turn tighter.

I have knocked a screwdriver though one before to undo it: very messy, and if it hadn't come undone then I would really have been in trouble :ohmy:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
25 Sep 2011 15:58 #22494 by mcjimny
I've always just knocked a screwdriver through! Everytime i go to the motor factors i say i'll get a proper tool.

Screwdriver method works well on the jimny but not so on the mrs' focus. You can't even see the filter from above, after much swearing and cursing i got it off and looked like i'd rebuilt a whole car :angry:

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Northern-Wanderer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 18:54 #22528 by Northern-Wanderer
Replied by Northern-Wanderer on topic Re: Tip for oil filter removal
The best way to remove the oil filter is to buy the type with the large nut fabricated on the end & use a socket to remove it,or a filter with "flats"on the end & use the special socket driven tool which fits to remove.They only cost a fiver and save a lot of bother.

• meanbgreen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2011 07:12 #22551 by meanbgreen
Replied by meanbgreen on topic Re: Tip for oil filter removal
ya only have to hand tighten it. That does not mean torque the livin ho ha outta it. As it heats it expands the seal causin it to tighten up more so if ya tighten the piss outta it to begin with it'll be hell gettin off. I can understand if the previous guy did it but when yer in control of puttin yer filter on there is no reason to be that tight. I can take mine off come changin time with just my hand. Alot of folks over tighten oil filters

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2011 07:40 #22554 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Tip for oil filter removal
I have never come across an oil filter I can undo by hand, ever when I have only tightened it by hand in the first place.
I always used the screwdriver punched through method but its nasty if you are doing it underneath or space is tight so I purchased one of these.
www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/detai...ench?da=1&TC=SRC-oil filter

Little bit fiddly to use but works reasonably well...

Anyway back on topic, sandpaper is a good tip!

More
26 Sep 2011 15:03 #22583 by facade
I've got one of those, but I can't make it work :blush:

I use the strap and lever type if I have overtightened it and it won't undo by hand.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
28 Sep 2011 16:24 #22724 by kirkynut
I use the type with the three legs that close in.on it and grip where there is room, such as on a Jimny. You can't lose with those.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• teafortwo0789
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Sep 2011 17:09 #22729 by teafortwo0789
Replied by teafortwo0789 on topic Re: Tip for oil filter removal
I use a 'Laser Tool' which is like a pair of pliers which grip the filter and being slim will get into most places, also they provide a good feel so you know how much torque you are using.
I've used to use the old screw driver through the filter, too messy but convenient..
I've used a strap which grips the filter and is rotated by using a ratchet, clumsy and won't get into tight places.
Also used a chain with a handle which hooks and tightens, but still slips and not user friendly.
So far the pliers are best for me.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Sep 2011 17:47 #22734 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Tip for oil filter removal
I've always just hand-tightened my filter with a smear of oil and removed it by hand too. The filter is easy to get at and no probs.

More
28 Sep 2011 17:52 #22738 by dirtydogz
Who ever fitted your oil filters must have hands like a gorilla.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds