BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wagtail Tyres ?

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2011 10:49 #21858 by Back in Black
Wagtail Tyres ? was created by Back in Black
Hi,

I'm going to the meet at Wagtails and am unsure about my tyres - I currently have General Grabber AW 225/75's fitted, they have couped with the snow and what mud I have driven in to date. But will they be upto a full on mud fest? What with the lovely weather we've been having, I can't see the ground being dry??

I was hoping to see what tyres people were using at wagtails, and then afterwards get some off roady tyres on my old wheels and swap as required.

Any guidence/information would be gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2011 11:22 #21860 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
They look like road tyres. Wagtail is basicly clay, and with those tyres you're not going to get far :)

I suggest recip trials, cheap enough and they are perfect for wagtail, nice chunky tyres to dig into the clay. if you are using your jimny as a daily driver I would suggest some kumho KL71s, thats what I've got, but recip trials are the ones i'll be getting next.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2011 11:24 #21862 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
or insa turbo special tracks or one of the look a likes

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2011 15:38 #21882 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
Brilliant. I've started trawling the net for either for delivery asap.

Presumably they're good in snow too?

• hulatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2011 16:18 #21884 by hulatt
Replied by hulatt on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
I had KL71's before and they were good off road and pretty reasonable on road (snow too). Just ordered myself some more as compared to other mud terrains they behaved better on the road!

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2011 16:32 #21886 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
My Insa Turbo Sahara's seem to go pretty much anywhere... not too bad a price.

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2011 16:53 #21887 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
Insa turbo sahara's seem good to me. Only taken them into serious mud once and worked well. Good price to at www.4x4tyres.co.uk. They are remoulds but look brand new and, so far, seem to be wearing well.

Attachment Copy1ofIMG_0009.jpg not found

Look cool to. :cheer:
Attachments:

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2011 20:10 #21909 by viciouspenguin

Back in Black wrote: Brilliant. I've started trawling the net for either for delivery asap.

Presumably they're good in snow too?

they are good all round, get the recip trials if you can, they have lugs on the sidewalls where as the others dont.

try www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/home.php?cat=277

More
14 Sep 2011 20:30 #21912 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
If it's clay at Wagtail you will need some aggressive Mud Terrains like Insa Turbo Special Tracks or their copies such as Malatesta Kaimans - which I run.

Kumho KL71's are a compromise MT tyre - good on road and OK in mud but nothing special - I have a set of these also and have tried them in every condition possible - they are not a brilliant MT tyre.

Then going less aggressive thn the Special Track / Kaiman tread pattern you have the Sahara and it's copies and the Recip Trial which in my experience from others who have owned them that I know are all similar in performance - so it may come down to price.

If you already own a set of AT tyres for the road / greenlaning, I would suggest you get a second set of wheels quickly, maybe new modulars in a wheel tyre deal with a set of aggressive MT's on, then you'll have the best of both worlds whenever you want either.

You just have to have room to store a second set of tyres and wheels.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2011 05:57 #21922 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
have people driven Wagtail before?
Is there any tame sections?
I've only got ATs (crappy ones at that) on and won't be able to get any muds before next weekend.
Any idea if I will I be able to do anything or will I get stuck straight away?

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2011 07:16 #21924 by viciouspenguin

goatboy wrote: have people driven Wagtail before?
Is there any tame sections?
I've only got ATs (crappy ones at that) on and won't be able to get any muds before next weekend.
Any idea if I will I be able to do anything or will I get stuck straight away?

Wagtail has all types of terrains, from the canal to woods to rolling mud-filled mounds and puddles. the ground is clay and it does clogg tyres and stick to everything. but It is a good site for everyone, and suitable for all. there are simple tracks that run around the site and go into all sections.

• Back in Black
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2011 15:58 #21943 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: Wagtail Tyres ?
Thank you everyone for the advice. I've landed up with some Kingpin Amazon's (I've not ignored the advice, but due to budget contraints and the need for delivery this weekend and in the last month I've brought a body lift, extended break lines and steering damper and now these tyres - Mrs Back in Black is pretty miffed).

Hopefully I'll see some of you at Wagtails next weekend and be able to keep up in the rough stuff. If the Amazons prove to be pants I'll start saving up for whatever performs best next Sunday.

Thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds