BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

DIY steel wheel refurb

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2011 21:28 #12371 by little jimny
DIY steel wheel refurb was created by little jimny
Hi, I've just bought a 2002 Jimny that I'm very happy with. The steel wheels are discoloured and quite rusty so I want to refurb them, but on a budget - there are other more pressing things that need addressing (brakes, wheel alignment and a decent service). I'm thinking of sanding down the rust with a wire brush attachment on a drill and then spraying them with smoothrite - anyone refurbed their steel wheels and have any comments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2011 21:36 #12374 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: DIY steel wheel refurb
Hi mate,

A mate of mine has just refurbed his steel rims.

-If possible get a 5" grinder with a wire wheel and strip the whole lot of the old paint of.
-give the bear steel a light rub with some fine sand paper
-rub the rim down with thinner's before you paint just to get all the dirty out
-and then paint like you normally would a few coats of what ever colour and then a clear coat.

That's long way of doing it but they come up nicely.

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2011 21:43 #12375 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: DIY steel wheel refurb
I was thinking grind back the rust then a few coats of silver smoothrite with no lacquer (I'd read that lacquer tends to react wiht the smoothrite), or a couple of coats each of primer, then silver and finally lacquer although that's bit of a long winded way of doing it and I'm not sure I've got the patience!!!! If a couple of coats of smoothrite will give a presentable finish with no rust and no flaking then that 's the way I'll probably go unless htere's anything better out there anyone would recommend.

More
02 Mar 2011 06:53 #12381 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: DIY steel wheel refurb

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2011 08:28 #12384 by little jimny
The enamel finish looks really good. Did you brush or spray it?

More
02 Mar 2011 08:59 #12390 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: DIY steel wheel refurb
Rattle can enamel from Halfrauds

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Mar 2011 10:59 #12395 by Johnniehec

little jimny wrote: I was thinking grind back the rust then a few coats of silver smoothrite with no lacquer (I'd read that lacquer tends to react wiht the smoothrite), or a couple of coats each of primer, then silver and finally lacquer although that's bit of a long winded way of doing it and I'm not sure I've got the patience!!!! If a couple of coats of smoothrite will give a presentable finish with no rust and no flaking then that 's the way I'll probably go unless htere's anything better out there anyone would recommend.

I've found that anythin made by Finnigans (hammerite, smoothrite, etc) reacts with anything and everything, it's a nightmare if ther's any old paint and even reacts with their own primer. Because of that and the cost (Aberdonian speak again) I always avoid it like the plague!
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
02 Mar 2011 11:47 #12397 by Johnniehec

mlines wrote: Heres what I did.....

www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_co...accessories&Itemid=2

Yes they've got to be done with the tyres off to be right and you really need to go behind the edges of the holes as well.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2011 12:21 #12399 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: DIY steel wheel refurb

Johnniehec wrote:
I've found that anythin made by Finnigans (hammerite, smoothrite, etc) reacts with anything and everything, it's a nightmare if ther's any old paint and even reacts with their own primer. Because of that and the cost (Aberdonian speak again) I always avoid it like the plague!
John.

interesting cos I brush painted my wheels, front winch bumper and roll cage with smoothrite with no problems with bubbling etc - just scratched off when its been in contact with trees etc :huh:

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2011 07:35 - 03 Mar 2011 07:37 #12454 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: DIY steel wheel refurb
Heres what I did
www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_ku...itstart=48&Itemid=75

wire brush on a drill, hammerite smooth, heater, tires on
--- it would have been better with tires off..... but looks a million times better than it did before :)

--- also no problems with bubbling or anything, no reactions and I didnt take the old paint off.....just the rust and ruff bits :) ---- John obviously canna paint hahaha
Last edit: 03 Mar 2011 07:37 by bertbuckie.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2011 10:24 #12462 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: DIY steel wheel refurb
You can always let the air out the tyres and a couple or four G-clamps to squeeze the tyre away from the rim.
You should be able to paint round the lip then and not get any on the tyre.

I do it that way, rather than have the tyres taken off.

Just a thought?

K :)

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2011 15:04 #14602 by little jimny
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Found myself with some spare time, so armed with a power drill, wire wool attachment, masking tape and some rattle cans of primer, wheel silver and lacquer I set to work.

I had already lightly sanded the wheels in the hope that it would tidy up the discolouration from the rust, but it didn't really smarten them up very much. Anyway, here's a wheel ready for some refurb action.

Here it is after receiving the attention of the drill and wire wool bit

Next up was to brush paint the back of the wheel with black smoothrite, and the front with some kurust. Leaving that overnight to dry, the next job was to mask the tyre. This worked out quite well because of the lip on the steel wheel - I wouldn't fancy doing it on an alloy! With it all masked up it was out with primer, and then a light rub down where some dog hairs found their way onto the wet paint!

Now it's time for the silver. Well, I say 'silver' - I used Simoniz 5 Wheel Silver and it looks a fair bit darker than the standard silver the wheel used to be. If I was just doing one wheel I would be pretty annoyed, but seeing as I'm doing the lot it doesn't really matter.

I'll lacquer it in a couple of hours once it's dried. This is the last wheel I had to do, I got the rest of them done last week but forgot to take pictures!!!

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds