BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2018 16:43 #193097 by Daniel30
Ah ok, I see now how that can save a lot of time, yeah I bet they do i bet they think your parking it there for the sake of it :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2018 14:35 - 01 Jul 2018 21:41 #193295 by kirkynut
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI have a few changes planned for Daddy's Tractor.

I want to have some spot lights on the front as the current X-Eng cage mounted lights do no more than the standard full beams. I used to have a cheap set of Ring Driving Lamps on my SJ and they were superb.

File Attachment:

I am therefore going to buck the trend for LED light bars and go for another set of those at £20 from Halfords! It doesn't matter if they get smashed and they might be longer lasting than cheap LEDs.

I have therefore bought these spot light mounting brackets:

File Attachment:

from here:

I had to send a pair back as they were welded wonky but the eBay seller was good and sent me a good pair quickly.

I then plan to put the X-Eng cage mounted lights on the back facing down and wire them to come on with the reversing lamps as my drive can get quite dark and the standard reversing lights don't light the way much.

I'll likely have them switched as well so I can use them as work lights.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 21:41 by kirkynut.

More
08 Jun 2018 14:41 #193296 by X8GGY
(One of mine was slightly wonky too!)

More
08 Jun 2018 15:04 #193297 by kirkynut

S200KYS wrote: (One of mine was slightly wonky too!)

I could have accepted slightly wonky but these were awful! The new ones are quite straight.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
29 Jun 2018 14:56 - 19 Feb 2019 08:12 #193855 by kirkynut
I have fitted my spot lights using this relay wiring diagram:

I got it from this post: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...-wiring?limitstart=0

So thank you Dave!

On the back of the headlamp plug you need to pull the rubber insulation off of the plug its self and look at the back of the plug where the wires are crimped into place. You need the red wire with grey dots on it marked 'drive' on the plug. You'd think it would be the one marked 'pass' but it's not.

I scotch locked onto it. I don't like using them but it was the easiest way to do it.

I have to tidy it all up somewhat as I did the wiring in a field at the Mrs Mum's place.

Photos when I've tidied it all up.

Kirkynut

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 08:12 by kirkynut.

More
29 Jun 2018 18:23 #193868 by X8GGY
Diagram from 2003 still going strong?! I still have my uses then? ;)

More
29 Jun 2018 21:36 - 29 Jun 2018 21:39 #193871 by kirkynut

S200KYS wrote: Diagram from 2003 still going strong?! I still have my uses then? ;)

Oh yes! Worked a treat once I'd got the right wire off the back of the headlight to tap into.

I did worry about putting a live to both 85 & 86. I realise that 85 drops to earth when the switch is thrown to main beam or flash but until that point it's live. I had faith in my Welsh friend though, so thanks again!

I've tidied it all up with some electrical tape and conduit. Piccies another day. I do think big round spotties look better than LED light bars and I'm glad I bucked the trend with my £20 Ring ones. KC Daylighters would be cooler but the price isn't!

Kirkynut

Last edit: 29 Jun 2018 21:39 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2018 08:04 #193881 by Daniel30
Yeah would have loved some Kc's on mine and its being able to keep them on without someone else helping themselves to them :(

More
01 Jul 2018 21:26 #193913 by kirkynut

Daniel30 wrote: Yeah would have loved some Kc's on mine and its being able to keep them on without someone else helping themselves to them :(

Another reason for Halfords £20 spotties!

An LED light bar would be the same.

Kirkynut

More
01 Jul 2018 21:29 - 01 Jul 2018 21:37 #193914 by kirkynut
Here's piccies of the spotties all on and wired up to the main beam. Obviously not of them working though but they do. I'm sure you can use your imagination!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I think they have a bit of coolness to them!

I was looking to put the X-Eng cage lights on the back and wire them up to come on with the reversing lights, however I started to think how I'd have to put a switch on them as reversing on the road with those beaming backwards would blind people. At which point they may as well be work lights off the current switch with the wiring extended.

The only thing is to point them down enough to be of use when reversing, they will likely catch on the rear door and there will be a shadow cast by them as the cage isn't past the back of the car.

So I've left them at the moment. I'll perhaps try them one day when I have time as they serve no useful purpose where they are now so for the sake of extending the wiring I've not got much to lose.

Kirkynut

Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 21:37 by kirkynut.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2018 22:26 #193915 by Daniel30
They look SPOT on very nice :D

More
13 Sep 2018 18:08 - 13 Sep 2018 18:30 #195978 by kirkynut
Oil and filter changed today for Castrol Edge 5w30 fully synthetic, which was half price in Tescos the other week. Air filter changed too. It's so quiet now, especially at idle. From inside the fan set to no.1 is louder than the engine at idle.

I moved the X lights to the back to act as work lights off the front fog light switch as they were before. I thought better of them being wired to the reversing lights.

They don't point too far down, so might be useless, but the wiring is there for others if that proves to be the case. They should make reversing into the garage in the dark easier though!

Photos to follow when I get time.

MOT tomorrow. Mileage at the time of this service is 71800.

Kirkynut

Last edit: 13 Sep 2018 18:30 by kirkynut.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds