BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Has anyone retro fitted a tailgate spoiler?

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2018 08:02 #192741 by NineCherries
Has anyone retro fitted a tailgate spoiler? was created by NineCherries
Just wondering how you attached it? The spoiler has 2 removable threaded locating pins on the feet but I’ve considered just bonding it on with tiger seal so I don’t have to drill any holes. The foot on each side has quite a large contact area so I think it would be ok.

If you’ve had one off before what do the pins press into on the tailgate? I’m guessing some sort of plastic cup but my googling has came up blank.

Cheers T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2018 15:53 #192756 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Has anyone retro fitted a tailgate spoiler?
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/18-buil...ner-edition?start=96

This chap did but no mention of how, think he sold his jimny but might still answer a pm.

More
16 May 2018 18:46 - 16 May 2018 18:52 #192758 by helijohn

NineCherries wrote: Just wondering how you attached it?

Not that it helps much but my Junior's spoiler is bolted from above.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2018 18:52 by helijohn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

More
17 May 2018 21:19 #192782 by Darthblaker7474
I did!

Was straight forward enough, get your spoiler and put something "creamy" on the bolt holes underneath, I used Polish.
Next place the spoiler on the tailgate carefully and then lift it off, the polish leaves two marks that you can drill into.

Drill a hole large enough to get the thread of the bolt through on the outside of the tailgate, then on the inside drill a hole that is large enough to get a socket into (10mm I used).

To fill in the hole on the inside I used two grommets to neaten things up, once I've gotten mine resprayed I'll probably tigerseal around it too.

I'm interested to see how Suzuki do it though :huh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

More
18 May 2018 17:19 #192791 by helijohn

Darthblaker7474 wrote: I did!

Superb job; I like the pics too as it all helps.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
06 Sep 2018 14:03 #195742 by Bosanek
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSo did you just use two screws and no glue or some padding between the spoiler and the rear door?

I bought a new (primed, unpainted) aftermarket Polish-made spoiler from Ebay. It is not an original Suzuki accessory but a copy. It is tailor made for Jimnys. I has two threaded holes in the feet (one hole per foot) and comes with two screws.

However, when I position the spoiler on the top of the rear door, it does not fit perfectly. The curvature of the spoiler's feet is not perfectly molded according to the shape of the upper curvature of the rear door - there are slight gaps in between when I position the spoiler against the door.

The seller did mention in the item description that some sanding or filling of the spoiler for adjustment might be needed. So they insured themselves against these kind of complaints.

I would like to know if Suzuki's original rear door spoiler fits perfectly on the upper curvature of the rear door or not?

And what would you suggest that I do in order to make if a perfect fit?

Did anyone else buy those Polish spoilers on Ebay?

This is the item:

More
06 Sep 2018 18:00 #195746 by Keithy
Same one I fitted to mine....a copy of the original.....it fitted like a sock on a hens head.

I just sanded it to fit and glued it on....I used Sikaflex Acrylic...drilled the holes where the studding went but didn't fancy the holes in the inner panel.

Just been and had a look.....time to re-glue....maybe the holes can be tolerated lol.

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2018 22:20 - 12 Sep 2018 22:22 #195959 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Has anyone retro fitted a tailgate spoiler?
The spoiler I got was a 2nd hand Suzuki original. It fitted well and followed the curve of the tailgate.
I did a write up with pics of the installation if that’s any help

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...oiler-fitting-how-to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edit: 12 Sep 2018 22:22 by NineCherries.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds