BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

HELP! 06 Jimny sound system!

• OzJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2013 12:50 - 28 Oct 2013 03:18 #88025 by OzJim
HELP! 06 Jimny sound system! was created by OzJim
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi guys... I am sorry, i know this has been covered before but I am still very confused. :S

I'm looking at a pretty cheap / mediocre sound system for my 06 Jimny. Nothing to fancy. I need some clarification on buying the right gear as it's the first audio mods i have done to a car... Can you guys advice on whether this stuff is compatible with the 06 Jimny? (the sites are for Aus but you should still be able to view them)

4x 4" speakers: www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigati...-speakers-sku-91044/ (will these fit the two front side stock speaker slots as well as the two rear slots)

I have also found this, I don't know how to explain it other then will this work instead of paying hundreds for a new fascia: www.aliexpress.com/item/11-357-Car-Radio...scia/1324493949.html :unsure:

IF that works can I then fit this Double din head unit: www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45806_JVC-KW-R500.html

And finally I would be looking at buying this under seat 10" sub + amp:

Thanks very much! Jack. :)
Last edit: 28 Oct 2013 03:18 by OzJim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2013 13:47 #88030 by Halford
4x 4" speakers OK for front, but for rear go bigger - see here

that Car Radio Fascia should work fine with the JVC double DIN head unit - see here

guide to removing rear panels

but first you need to

remove the rear seats

and

centre panel dash removal

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OzJim

More
26 Oct 2013 17:34 #88058 by helijohn

Halford wrote:
and

centre panel dash removal

;)

Great link, ;) wish I'd read something like this but for an earlier motor before I had to rip out my dash cos the radio wouldn't come out.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Stori
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2013 07:58 #88126 by Stori
Replied by Stori on topic HELP! 06 Jimny sounds system!
I upgraded the sound system in my 04 jimny yesterday. There are a few areas to watch out for but nothing major. Depending on if you want to start cutting panels make sure the speaker profile will fit within the depth allowed. Youll notice when disconnecting the front speakers there is a distinct lack of + / - labeling. you can find out Which is which by googling but in short the connect closest to an arrow shaped clip is the +.

However.. to be aware (I am trying to fix today) the panel that goes back over the top is not a snug fit and if anything slightly off centre. This has meant there is a rather noticeable distortion of sound. They will either be off or I may try some felt backing.

More
27 Oct 2013 08:39 #88131 by helijohn

Stori wrote: the panel that goes back over the top is not a snug fit

Is that the panel in the footwell. Mine have been on and off so often they are more or less flapping about. :laugh: I am tempted to leave them off but it looks a bit too utility like that.
Nice info about the leads +ve and -ve; it all helps.

• jonathan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2013 10:15 #88137 by jonathan
Replied by jonathan on topic HELP! 06 Jimny sounds system!
www.aliexpress.com/item/2006-2012-Suzuki...Audio/530543949.html

here is the link to the one i got for mine and it is great and looks the part in the dash

More
27 Oct 2013 10:31 #88139 by helijohn

jonathan wrote: www.aliexpress.com/item/2006-2012-Suzuki...Audio/530543949.html

here is the link to the one i got for mine and it is great and looks the part in the dash

Gosh, impressive. I wouldn't know what button to press. ;)

• OzJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2013 11:39 - 27 Oct 2013 14:49 #88143 by OzJim
Replied by OzJim on topic HELP! 06 Jimny sound system!
Thanks for the details and info everyone! Especially Halford, your experience with this in those links will definitely help me out! Appreciate it! B)

I've just ordered the 11-357 Radio Facia mod from here:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11-357-Radio-Fascia-SUZUKI-Jimny-Stereo-Install-Facia-Trim-CD-Dash-Plate-Kit-/281162939896

and will purchase some speakers / head unit sometime next month followed by the underseat 10" sub and amp! :cheer:

Will this double din head unit fit in with the fascia mod listed above? www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45806_JVC-KW-R500.html

Halford - you mentioned that I should go bigger for the speakers in the rear. I don't want to be cutting into anything so what would be the biggest I could get away with be? Would 5" speakers fit with no modding the existing hole. Also, I've heard the wiring is already there, is that true?

Thanks! :)
Last edit: 27 Oct 2013 14:49 by OzJim.

More
27 Oct 2013 16:05 - 27 Oct 2013 16:07 #88163 by Halford
The JVC double DIN unit should work fine with that trim fascia on ebay, look forward to seeing your pics when fitted

5 inch speakers will fit fine in the rear, however, may need to drill some new screw fixing holes (but the recess for the actual speaker magnet will be plenty big enough)

wiring behind rear trim panel

;)
Last edit: 27 Oct 2013 16:07 by Halford.

• OzJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2013 03:21 - 28 Oct 2013 03:33 #88279 by OzJim
Replied by OzJim on topic HELP! 06 Jimny sounds system!
Great! Thanks for all your help Halford! :)

Looks like i'll be getting some 5" speakers in the back along with my 4" in the front! Is there any specific wiring that i need? I am in the process of purchasing that head unit and it is asking me to choose a free wiring kit specific to my vehicle. For the Suzuki's I am given these options: (theres no options for the Jimny as it is does not fit a stock fascia).

For Suzuki Grand Vitara:
Scosche SI04B / SI04 - www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5699_Scosche-SI04B-SI04.html

For Suzuki Reno, Forenza, Verona:
Scosche DO01B / DO01 - www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4439_Scosche-DO01B-DO01.html

Which one will be needed for the Jimny? The second link is the most common for Suzuki, but the Jimny may be similar to the vitara.

Jack.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2013 03:33 by OzJim.

More
28 Oct 2013 07:04 #88289 by Halford
not sure which you need :(
cheap enough to get both I suppose :unsure:

does it show any connectors in your manual for your existing double DIN unit

;)

• CheeseSteakJimmys
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2013 22:28 #88562 by CheeseSteakJimmys
Replied by CheeseSteakJimmys on topic HELP! 06 Jimny sound system!
Hi,
I just put in the JVC 500.
If you don't want blue tooth, or the ability to change the colours to match the car, the 400 is the same but cheaper.
A friend of mine got the 400 after seeing my 500 and is very happy with it.

Some notes from when I did mine

The Suzuki cradle fits the head unit with no modifications.

I looked at the fascia surround filler as an option. I did a test fit with the curvy fascia and found that the gap at the top was larger than the gap at the bottom. So I splashed out and got the Suzuki square fascia, simply because I knew it would just work, and it meant I could fit any standard head unit latter. I got it from the local stealer for $83 AUD.

For the wiring a company called aeropro makes connectors, so I bought Suzuki to ISO, and ISO to JVC from REPCO. simply connect the plugs no soldering or crimping . . . except.
The only wire not part of the loom was the dimmer. The dimmer takes a signal from the lights so you can change the colour and the brightness based on if its night or day.
You'll find a yellow mustard coloured wire in the plug from the Suzuki which matches the same colour from the JVC connector, I used a voltage tester with the lights on and off to confirm the colours were right first.

There is plenty of volume, it's easy to use, I have a USB stick in the front which works perfectly, haven't tried apple stuff as I don't have any.

So the bad bits and gotchas
The JVC only has a three way graphic equaliser, it is a "pro" which means you can change the peak points for base, middle and treble. For example base is normally at 100h but you can change it to 60, 80, 100 or 200.
You can also change the Q which is if you visualise the equaliser as curves, it means you can change how sharp or flat the curve is.
This gives you lots of fiddling for a three way equaliser, but . . .

Car acoustics are crap at the best of times, and Jimny is really bad. Then factor in the poor location of the speakers and you need to really work the settings to get good sound. If I did it again I’d go for a Sony I was looking at that has a 7 way equaliser.

For bad speaker location example, I had the back panels and seats out to get the rear speakers installed, then sat there testing all four speakers were in phase before reassembly. It actually sounded pretty damn good. By the time you put everything back in the rear speakers in particular are really muffled.

With only Sony 4 inch in the front, and 5 inch Pollack in the back, base sound is still pretty awful, read non-existent. I'm not talking about doof, doof dance music just in general. A friend brought over a test CD and decibel meter and there is not much below 150/200h.
I've been researching the a sub for a couple of months. I’m looking at a Fusion 8 inch or the JayCar 8 inch under-seat units. I want the under seat so I can keep what space I can available. Both are a single box with the amp and speaker inside.
Their not as good as a real sub/amp set-up but you get to keep usable space.
With my later model (2013) there is a sensor cable under the drivers seat to tell you if your seat belt isn't on. So I’m working out how to put it under the passenger seat without wires getting jammed, or the box getting damaged when occasionally stuffing some victim in the back seats.

Keep in mind the original set-up is so atrocious that, even just speakers and/or a head unit will make a huge difference.
I did look at the Chinese models that fit directly and have video, DVD, and sat-nav. I was tempted, but a few other forums people had reliability problems and the sound was only average. I use my phone for sat-nav and the other stuff would just be a toy, so stuck with a standard stereo.

During the day the colour is white and very bright

At night it matches the car and is dimmer

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds