BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Converting Hubs on a push button 2005

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2019 07:41 - 26 Aug 2019 07:43 #212681 by Godfather68
Converting Hubs on a push button 2005 was created by Godfather68
Having experienced the 4x4 system failing on me while out yesterday I have been trying to read through all the threads on converting to manual hubs.

Please can I check my understanding.

1. I replace the hubs with manual locking ones.
2. When I now select 4wd the system will give me the flashing green 4x4 symbol because it won’t know the system has changed.
3. I need to permanently short out the wires on the grey vacuum sensor so the system thinks it has vac.

4. Operate 4wd and 4wd-l from cabin as required.

Oh yes and then I can remove all the vac pipes, solenoids and all that stuff, just blocking the manifold?

5. If I forget to switch manual hubs back to 2wd nothing too bad happens, just a bit less economic on fuel tyres etc?

Is that it? Or is there something more to it?

Apologies if a stupid question, but all the write ups seemed to be for lever based systems not the buttons.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2019 07:43 by Godfather68.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2019 07:53 #212683 by sniper
Make sure to block the vacuum pipe that leads to the system from the manifold. Follow the pipes to the manifold and block the pipe at the first union.

You can then remove the whole system but remember to loop the vacuum ports on each hub, or block them, water can get into the hub otherwise.

Other than that, you've got it. Literally a 5 minute job to put the bypass in.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Godfather68

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2019 14:59 #212696 by Godfather68
Replied by Godfather68 on topic Converting Hubs on a push button 2005
So on further investigation turns out that my failure caused by a wire broken of the front 4wd switch of the transfer box.

I fixed the wires back on and if somebody presses the 4wd button in the cabin and I manually press the button under the car the car goes into a mode where the green light flashes. But when I fit the button back into the box it does not work. So the issue is either the switch is faulty or the thing that ought to be pressing the switch is not pressing it.

So where to go next?

More
26 Aug 2019 16:43 #212699 by sniper
Switches are about £60, make sure to identify the correct one.

sniper

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 08:10 #212711 by Godfather68
In reading around, it appears there may be a ball bearing behind the switch? Is that true? If so how big is it? I did not notice it falling out when I took the switch out and I don't think it is in there now (see pics below) and I cannot see it on the floor anywhere.

So my question is, if there is meant to be a ball bearing in there? If there is and it was not there, is there any way that the system could have worked, because at least for a few minutes it used to work a week ago.

Any advice would be really welcome as I am totally confussed about what is now going on.
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Aug 2019 15:44 #212738 by Lambert
I was going to say earlier that there's a ball detente between the two, not that that's much use to you now.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 15:49 #212739 by Godfather68
But can you think of any way it could have worked without the BB being in there?

Cus something very strange is going on!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Aug 2019 16:43 #212744 by Lambert
The ball probably was there but the issue could have been a bad wire.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 16:49 #212745 by Godfather68
Yes I am beginning to think that is the only logical explanation. I am guessing given it was oily that it must have dropped out after I left to go fix the switch and is now lurking somewhere on the drive!

I have found some replacement ones on ebay (suzuki part number is 06111-10003 if anybody else has the same issue) and will stick one in and see what happens. I was really pleased to have fixed the switch with a bit of solder and some UV activated resin, but its all gone a bit flat now it does not owrk.

More
27 Aug 2019 21:56 #212762 by bryn
The ball baring is vital to the switch operating, if its not there then flashing lights etc.
The switch is a simple on off switch which you can test with a meter when off .
Best bet is to get one from a dealer.

Attachments:

• invincible
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2019 09:01 #212769 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic Converting Hubs on a push button 2005
hey god,68, please could you PM me a pick of the connector wires you said were
broken and the button under neath the car you said you press please.
ive had my 4x4 flashing for days and it wont go back to 2wd. i,m stuck with this problem too. i have manual hubs on thou. cheers , liam.

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2019 09:15 #212770 by Godfather68
Hi,
If you look at the picture that Bryn sent it is part number 30.

I am afraid I am working away from home so can't nip out and take the pic you want.

But it is easy to see under the car, it is the front most switch on the transfer box, it has two pink wires coming out of it and has a blue plastic ring around a black cap. One of my pink wires was broken. I had to dismantle the switch by carefully cutting the blue and black bits off. I was then able to solder wires back onto the exposed stubs and seal the whole thing back up with UV activated resin. Off the car I was able to test the switch with a meter and it works. But on the car nothing has changed.

I am suspicious that in taking out the switch the little ball bearing has fallen out and so now when the 4wd button is pressed nothing happens.

I plan when back from holiday to get back under the car with a meter and test that when 4wd is selected that the button does in fact close, if it does not then it will I hope confirm that the BB is missing and I will drain down the box again, fit a new BB and see if that chamnges anything.

To be clear there is no switch you can press under the car without removing it from the transfer box first (and oil will come out when you undo the switch!).

Hope that makes sense.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds