BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

So what is your experience with Jimny + G16B ?

• jimknows
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2011 21:13 #29393 by jimknows
Hello, i had much fun reading the forum and to see how much work people have done on their jimny. ive seen many photo's from very skilled people.

I was reading a topic from member: smiffkid
He changed to the G16B type, but no driving experience is posted.

My question is, switching to the G16B, what do you actualy gain?
I mean , i know you get + 20pk , but how does driving go, anyone who can describe the differences in detail?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimknows
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jan 2012 00:33 #29630 by jimknows
all best wishes for 2012, but 3 days later, 66 views, and no reply....
thats pretty amazing...

More
01 Jan 2012 11:57 - 14 Oct 2012 18:10 #29647 by dirtydogz
I don't think many members have fitted the G16B engine in there jimny as they find the 1.3 fitted with a rock lobster is all they need,to go off-roading.

This might be why, it's a lot of work to fit one.
The write up below is for putting a Baleno Engine into a Jimny. But with the comments below it should be clear about fitting the Vit / Grand Vit 1.6 engine as well.

You can use the Vitara 1.6 16v, Grand Vitara 1.6 16v or the Baleno 1.6 16v engines. It's best to go for the distributorless engine like the Jimny is - 2 coils on the cam cover. I used the Baleno engine as it was all I could find at the time.

If you use the Vitara / Grand Vitara there is a very good chance you wont need to swap the sump / mod the pickup pipe like I had to as the Baleno has the sump pot at the front not the back. Just look at the engine you buy and you'll be able to work out if it'll fit.
Also if using the Vitara / Grand Vitara engine you shouldn't need to replace the waterpump inlet pipe and the use the blanking plate on the cylinder head like you do with the Baleno engine as they should already be there.

OK from the bottom up Baleno 1.6 into a Jimny....
Sump:
I used the Jimny Sump and modded the Jimny Pickup pipe. The pickup pipe where it goes into the oil pump is wider on the 1.6, so I cut the end of the baleno pipe 1" down from where it goes into the pump, did the same thing with the Jimny Pipe and and welded the Jimny pickup to the baleno pump inlet pipe.
Also remember you need to drill and 6mm tap No. 4 main bearing cap with a blind hole for the mounting of the pickup pipe as well.
If your Jimny is a hard top then there's a good chance it doesn't have a crank sensor. Mine didn't. So you may will also have to address the issue that the baleno engine might have had. This could leave a hole that goes directly into the sump below the timing belt pulley.
Conversely if it's a soft top you may need the crank sensor so you'll need to make sure the baleno engine does have one!
Solution: Belzona!

Flywheel / Clutch:
Jimny one - Put a new clutch in while you're there.

Bell housing:
Either re-drill the block or buy an adapter plate. Same as the SJ conversion write up on here.
Note: If buying an adapter plate buy one that has the full ring around the bottom of the bellhousing. Every adapter plate I have seen was for an SJ and didn't accommodate for revised clutch cable on the Jimny. So we simply cut that bit of the plate out so that the clutch cable entry mount fitted snugly. You will also need to drill the top 2 gearbox bolt holes out to 12mm from 10mm so you'll need the bellhousing bolts from the Baleno as well if you can pinch them.
Also the countersunk bolts to mount the plate... They'll probably be 1.25mm pitch thread. The Jimny box is 1mm pitch. Most just graunch the bolts in. I re-threaded them to 1mm.

Starter motor.
The Jimny "fat" starter will not fit. You can either grind the block a bit OR get get the Skinny bosch starter fitted to some vitaras. I use the skinny starter.

Engine Mounts:
Driver's side engine mount will be about 30mm as the engine mount castings on the block are set about 30mm back from the G13BB ones. I went completely freestyle on this and made made my own mount from 6mm steel plate. I have read of people redrilling the bottom of the mount to accommodate for this move backwards so it's a case of have a look and decide how you want to proceed. Passenger side is a bolt on replacement.

Water pump inlet pipe.
Remove the Baleno one and chuck it! It's no use whatsoever.
Use the jimny one. You will need to make up a small flat bar mounting bracket to fit it to the block as the 1.6 engine the castings are about 30mm towards the back of the block. When you see it you'll understand. I also found the jimny pipe was a loose fit into the hole so I fitted a slightly oversized o-ring.

Baleno Thermostat on rear of the head:
Remove it and put on the blanking plate on from the back of the Jimny head.

Camshaft. If you have a Hardtop Jimny then it probably wont have a crank sensor. If it doesn't and the Baleno engine does then please pull the cam sensor off the back of the cam on the baleno engine. if you are lucky there'll be 11 pickup lugs on the end of the cam. if there's 2 then you need to use the jimny cam - I had to use the Jimny cam it just doesn't rev as hard (6000 + rpm) as the baleno.

Inlet manifold / Injectors. Use the Jimny manifold in it's entirety apart from you NEED the green injectors from the Baleno. It'll run on the orange jimny ones but it runs like a bag of poo! Also no need to change the ECU. The standard Jimny one works very well.

Exhaust Manifold.
Use the Jimny one complete with sensor but you'll need to put a dent in the exhaust pipe to make it clear the bottom of the block where the old gearbox bolt holes were.

I know the above may seem a bit daunting, but it is worth it.
You could always go down the 16V Grand Vitara 1.6 engine route and save yourself the mucking about with the sumps / pickup pipes and crank sensors as that should all fit nicely.
Write up by PsiDOC

www.bigjimny.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=120#
Hope this helps.
DIRTYDOGZ B)

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Oct 2012 18:10 by dirtydogz.

• jimny5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2012 19:48 #29801 by jimny5
if its anything like my sj was, 1.3 to 1.6. compleate difference. alot more power.
i ve looked into it for my jimny but engines aint cheap.

• jimknows
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2012 01:05 #29818 by jimknows
Thanks for the replies guys...i did read the whole howto story....
What i would like to know is....how does the other engine sound compared to the 1300 of the jimny.
I guess its to be expected that it would be more powerful but how is it driving on thr road...etc...

• zuki andy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2012 15:13 #29860 by zuki andy
Hi, i've recently done this conversion and yes i would recommend it. the reason i did it was to replace the very tired 1.3 and this was the cheapest option for me (got a baleno engine for £50) gives it alot more bottom end power, in my opinon makes it nicer to drive as you can put it in an higher gear earlier and have less rev's on. and it seems to be better on the fuel now.

More
03 Jan 2012 15:36 #29863 by mcjimny
Guy i know that used to be on here had it fitted, only sounded different as it had a different exhaust fitted. No personal experience but it seemed to get about quick enough.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• jimknows
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2012 19:18 #29897 by jimknows
lol...i guess less fuel right?
Any indication how much it changed?

I do hope its faster in driving of..

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2012 20:17 #29909 by myers647
I was following Zuki Andy last week and his tyres are two inches bigger than mine and i couldnt keep u with him on the road. If my engine goes I will definatley swop it.

James

• jimknows
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2012 00:07 #30036 by jimknows
well joames, thats funny we both have a look a like model...., well....mine is blue to...not sure about the tires...but in not going offroad...

• Dave c
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2012 09:32 #39579 by Dave c
Hi
I have just carried out the G16 B conversion and as you you correctly discribe now runs like a bag of poo looking around for injectors but struggling to identify the baleno units any help would be appreciated

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2012 17:46 #39610 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: So what is your experience with Jimny + G16B ?
Having driven with a 1.6 in my old truck and the G series 1.3 engine in my current Jimny - there is not a great deal to call it between them in terms of power or torque at the wheels.

I think the trouble is, many people compare a knackered engine with a less knackered new one and the new one is usually better. I had planned to put the 1.6 in my Jimny, but now I've seen how well it goes, I'm not going to bother!

The 1.6 was 16v with a carburettor where the 1.3 is injection. I have an injection manifold to go on the 1.6 and was planning to use Megasquirt to perk it up a bit. Instead I'm going to Megasquirt the Jimny engine.

I agree that a 1.6 into an SJ413 makes a huge difference but the Jimny engine is about 20 years newer and the difference is much less marked.

Si

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds