BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacing air hub pipes with silicone hose.

• Fuzzoire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2011 20:03 #22884 by Fuzzoire
Hi,
My air hub pipes have corroded through completely and it's looking pretty costly to replace them. I am wondering if anyone has successfully replaced the steel pipes with silicone hose at a fraction of the cost. I know most advise binning the air hubs for manual versions but I do not wish to do so.
My Jimny is a 2000 X reg with a M13a 1328cc DOHC engine.
For the sake of £10-15 I am going to give it a go. Just looking for a bit of advice or encouragement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• p1ngu32
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2011 20:25 #22886 by p1ngu32
There is no reason why it wouldnt work, only drawback might be that they will be more likely to get caught on some thing and ripped off. You could use standard copper brake line to make up the straight sections, and silicone for the joints on to the suspension arms, might make them a little more sturdy, and shouldnt be too costly.

• Fuzzoire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2011 20:38 #22888 by Fuzzoire
I thought about using copper brake piping but I am not sure what to do where the single pipes from the solenoids split into two off to each wheel. I was going to to use a nylon t-junction connector with the silicone hose.

More
01 Oct 2011 21:24 #22891 by MigCooper
Yes any T junction will do ... I have redone mine and will create a schematic when I get a chance .... Off to bed now ... :silly:

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 05:59 #22895 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Replacing air hub pipes with silicone hose.
Might the silicon tube collapse due to the vacuum?

• Fuzzoire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 06:14 #22896 by Fuzzoire
Not sure about it collapsing, it is sold as vacuum hose. MigCooper has apparently done it. Found a shop on ebay selling 3mm for £1.55 a metre free p+p.

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 11:37 #22909 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Re: Replacing air hub pipes with silicone hose.
Not an expert on this by any means but wouldn't nylon air line tube - designed for high pressures, be better suited and possibly cheaper than silicon for this job?
atb
Mike

• Fuzzoire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 15:33 #22923 by Fuzzoire
I am no expert either and your dead right, Nylon tubing it is way cheaper than silicone. As I understand there is no air actually being blown down the tube, it is being sucked causing the vacuum which would potentially collapse the tube which is why I initially thought of vacuum hose. Not sure what material the flexible portions of the stock system are?

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 15:58 - 02 Oct 2011 15:58 #22924 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Replacing air hub pipes with silicone hose.
why not fit manual hubs? :P
Last edit: 02 Oct 2011 15:58 by viciouspenguin.

• Fuzzoire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 16:25 #22926 by Fuzzoire
My missus wouldn't thank me for that in the snow. Besides I quite like the clonk, clonk and the click, click (when it works).

More
02 Oct 2011 20:15 #22943 by facade
I copied my pipes in copper brakepipe: took ages to make and braze on the tee pieces, but you can buy ready made tee pieces for brakepipe if you have a flaring tool..

You could use microbore heating pipe if it is still available, there must be solder tee pieces available.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
02 Oct 2011 20:44 #22947 by dirtydogz
Yes you can still get microbore heating pipe from screwfix
www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/poly...lene-pipe/cat2330006

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds