BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

loud screeching noise

• george
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2011 06:37 #13931 by george
loud screeching noise was created by george
hi new member here,a bit green with jimny,s having had a landrover previous.bought mine as its more economical but it came with a loud screeching noise which comes from i presume lower middle to front of the vehicle.the noise is not consistent,does not start for the first mile but kicks in inconsistently after.if i engage 4wd the noise is a lot worse after about 500yds as if its destroying itself.if i freewheel out of gear the noise is still there.also noticed the 4wd light on dash flashes while 4wd is engaged but i do not have a manual.i think it may be transfer box wheel bearings or diff/front, propshafts look ok,any ideas,p.s.what did you think of the off road show,i feel its turning landrover kap etc did not bother this year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2011 08:57 #13942 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: loud screeching noise
At first the description of screeching noise make me think alternator belt slipping. Then you seem convinced it is mechanical.

I wonder if the freewheeling hubs or at least one of them is partially engaged only. There must be a problem with them as the light flashes. The two parts of partially engaged hub may make the noise as metal grins against metal and will be made worse in 4wd as you try to put drive through them.

Just a thought but its hard to diagnose from here, where are you?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: george

• george
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2011 09:55 #13948 by george
Replied by george on topic Re: loud screeching noise
kirky thanks for your response though ive had a good 8yrs off roading i have no expereance with freewheeling hubs you may be correct with your diagnosis.how do they work on these jimnys,also it is not connected with the alternator belt,eagerly await your response,i am in the midlands by the way.

More
24 Mar 2011 14:37 #13956 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: loud screeching noise
see my reply to your other post in Jimny chat.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
24 Mar 2011 16:55 #13966 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: loud screeching noise
Take the hubs right off and go for a ride in the dry (in 2wd) Nothing will fall off, they are just drive flanges.

If the noise is still there it isn't the hubs or inside the front axle.

Jack the front up and see if the wheels will wobble side to side, but not wobble with a foot on the brake.
(wheel bearings)

Look and see if there is a brake pad worn down to the metal.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• george
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2011 19:34 #13983 by george
Replied by george on topic Re: loud screeching noise
ok took off both hubs no noise,great replaced n/s only noise was back but not so loud,replaced o/s noise was louder but not as often.to sum up no noise without both but it returned with either on,could this be diff or hub

• downhilldude
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2011 21:37 #14379 by downhilldude
Replied by downhilldude on topic Re: loud screeching noise
My friends 2001 Jimny does this, he has a problem with the panhard rod and at 45mph it starts jumping around the road, so bad that you've got to stop to go away.
Getting that fixed, but the noise you talk about is the same on his, not sure if it is related or not, as we first thought the problem was a Kingpin bearing and I thought the noise was the bearing destroying itself.
Kingpins seem fine so I'm no longer sure what the noise is. When the noise started (about 30mins into a motorway journey) we took it out of gear, still there so tryed turning the engine off and it was no better.
So I've ruled out engine trouble. The noise seems to be coming from the passanger front wheel. It goes away once you slow down to a near stop.
Something in the front right is doing it!

• badboy-jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2012 10:17 #51849 by badboy-jimny
Replied by badboy-jimny on topic Re: loud screeching noise
This has just started on my jimny too. Did anyone find out what was the matter with it? My jimnys in a garage at the moment and they are not surw what it could be after changing the bearing and several other things

More
05 Nov 2012 08:37 #52370 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic loud screeching noise
mine did exactly the same. it was the auto hubs not properly engaging and disengaging. the cure - fit manual hubs or permanently lock the vac hubs. no more noise

standard jimny - for now

• badboy-jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2012 22:04 #54533 by badboy-jimny
Replied by badboy-jimny on topic loud screeching noise
Yeh thats the same as the garage guy said cheers for reply

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds