BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gearbox swap

• Shaun
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2019 00:20 #210641 by Shaun
Gearbox swap was created by Shaun
Hi all, i am new to this forum and i am trying my best to locate a 2005 suzuki jimny 5 speed gearbox R72..I have been seeing a lot of the previous 1998 to 2004, 5 speed gearbox online..Question is, can i use the 5 speed gearbox of the 2001 jimny on the 2005 jimny..My transfer case is electronic push button..Can anyone help or have information on this, Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jul 2019 04:23 #210646 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gearbox swap
Welcome to the forum. Swapping between the two gearbox types is definitely possible but not straightforward, firstly because of the gearshift remote needing modification and second the ratios are different between the two. Most often it is done to accommodate other modifications like huge tyres. Also be aware that any similar age gearbox is going to suffer from the same weakness of not having sealed type bearings unless it's already been rebuilt. The more reliable alternative is to either repair your existing or look for a post 2009 gearbox as they have the better bearings and are more likely to be lower mileage. Good luck.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Jul 2019 16:53 #210672 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Gearbox swap
Short answer is no.

If you change to the earlier R7ME box from the early VVT, you can't run the later pushbutton transfer box. Early M13A gearbox and transfer box can be fitted with a little engineering but they will alter your final drive ratio's so much that you need to run 30-31" tyres..... That needs a suspension lift and then so much more......

I've just spent £720 getting my R72 box rebuilt because of the above issues.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds