BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Right, next up......Wiper arms lengths

More
17 Jun 2013 07:56 - 17 Jun 2013 07:58 #74082 by helijohn
Have I got a hybrid or should the wiper arms be different lengths. :huh: Blades are the same at 16" but my passenger gets a higher swept area than me. :(

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2013 07:58 by helijohn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2013 08:32 #74083 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Right, next up......Wiper arms lengths
This should help www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...blade?start=12#60417 the search button is your friend ........ ;)

More
17 Jun 2013 08:35 - 17 Jun 2013 08:40 #74084 by gilburton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationDrivers side blade should be 18"
I bought a set similar to these. Easy to fit and work well.
At these sort of prices it's best just to buy a complete set rather than individual blades.

Despite my posts in tadpoles link the arms were correct. From inside the car they look as if they are going off the screen but it's only the dark tint around the edge of the screen. If you try to swap the arms over they touch each other.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 17 Jun 2013 08:40 by gilburton.

More
17 Jun 2013 09:16 #74089 by helijohn

Tadpole wrote: This should help www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...blade?start=12#60417 the search button is your friend ........ ;)

Yes. :blush:

Thanks for the link. ;)

It seems I have the correct set up. Driver arm length approx 16"; passenger arm length approx 18" and blade length both approx 16". The wipers are working fine so I won't need any blades but the lack of symmetry is irritating. :(

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2013 09:59 #74097 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Right, next up......Wiper arms lengths

helijohn wrote:

Tadpole wrote: This should help www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...blade?start=12#60417 the search button is your friend ........ ;)

Yes. :blush:

Thanks for the link. ;)

It seems I have the correct set up. Driver arm length approx 16"; passenger arm length approx 18" and blade length both approx 16". The wipers are working fine so I won't need any blades but the lack of symmetry is irritating. :(

I think people are confused are you after the arm length from the linkage to the end of the arm or the wiper blade length

More
17 Jun 2013 10:07 #74098 by helijohn

markyp2000 wrote:
I think people are confused are you after the arm length from the linkage to the end of the arm or the wiper blade length

Aha, yes I see. Bit of both really. Sorry for confusing peeps.
I was just wanting to know if someone had put on the wrong wiper kit somewhere in the 12 months since the last owner flogged the car and my getting it.
I could see that the wiper arc on the driver's side was not reaching the top of the screen; annoying to me being over 6 feet and with the seat jacked up for my scrawny lanky legs because I look through the top part of the screen.

It looked weird having two different length wiper arms. At first I thought the blades were different lengths.

Hope you are not even more confused now. Sorry. :blush:

More
17 Jun 2013 13:48 - 17 Jun 2013 14:33 #74109 by gilburton
Your wiper arm lengths are correct but you need an 18" wiper blade on the drivers side.
If you look at the links the set is composed of 18" 16" and 11" for the rear.
I know it seems stupid to have a shorter arm on the drivers side but put a longer 18" blade on. It's to do with the sweep. If you try to swap the arms over the blades collide so to get the correct setup you need the 16" arm with an 18" blade on the drivers side, 18" arm with 16" blade on the passenger side.
Don't skimp and just buy a new set. ;)

Last edit: 17 Jun 2013 14:33 by gilburton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: helijohn

More
17 Jun 2013 15:11 #74120 by helijohn

gilburton wrote: Your wiper arm lengths are correct but you need an 18" wiper blade on the drivers side.
If you look at the links the set is composed of 18" 16" and 11" for the rear.
I know it seems stupid to have a shorter arm on the drivers side but put a longer 18" blade on. It's to do with the sweep. If you try to swap the arms over the blades collide so to get the correct setup you need the 16" arm with an 18" blade on the drivers side, 18" arm with 16" blade on the passenger side.
Don't skimp and just buy a new set. ;)

OMG, I am in a mucking fuddle almost now.

You are right, it does seem stupid.

I can see the sweep on the driver's side would wipe right off the screen if it was 18 +18. I have a collection of blades spares so I'll sort out an 18 for the driver.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll let you know.

More
17 Jun 2013 15:16 #74122 by gilburton
No problem I've been there done that lol
As you now understand all you need is an 18" blade on the drivers side :)
Any luck with the mirror??

More
17 Jun 2013 15:34 #74124 by helijohn

gilburton wrote: No problem I've been there done that lol
As you now understand all you need is an 18" blade on the drivers side :)
Any luck with the mirror??

I just dug out one of my Vitara spare blades (they are 18") and lo, wonderful. The arc is the same now and the pair look like a pair. So many thanks.

As for the mirror it was hissing down earlier so I left it but I'll try tomoz when I have an hour or so to play as I only get time in the mornings.

Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2013 17:14 #74143 by gilburton
It's these niggly little faults that are so easy to fix that you sometimes wonder why the correct parts weren't fitted in the first place? :unsure:

More
17 Jun 2013 18:37 #74165 by helijohn

gilburton wrote: It's these niggly little faults that are so easy to fix that you sometimes wonder why the correct parts weren't fitted in the first place? :unsure:

I'm guessing she (it was a female previous owner) had a garage do it as they did everything else and they probably bought a pair of 16" and just used them.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds