BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

New SJ owner - couple of q’s

More
20 May 2023 19:32 #249203 by mlines
If you look back at our posts, the panels went on and off many times until they were happy with them. We kept thinking it was coming together and then the next week it was back in bits.

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2023 20:05 #249224 by lesgrandepotato
  Milestone today and tonight, shot the bottom of the SJ with stone chip, well until I ran out! 

We aren’t building a show car here, but I’m pleased the repairs are broadly invisible. 
Attachments:

More
24 May 2023 20:27 #249275 by lesgrandepotato
Milestone accomplished! The body is back on for the last time. 
We are at Cubs tomorrow night. So Friday night is panels and petrol….

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, Soeley

More
26 May 2023 20:46 #249308 by mlines
You seem to have bought the same poor quality front wings that we have. Have you looked at the three headlight mounting points in the new wings and are they evenly spaced (TRIANGLE) or uneven ( Y shaped) If triangle and your original headlamp rims fit can you send me your VIN so I can order some.

Sent from my Lenovo TB125FU using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
27 May 2023 06:54 #249311 by lesgrandepotato
The project came with the wings. I’ve ordered headlamp rings from India.
When they arrive we can have a measure up. They’ll fit.
They just might need persuading!

Had the maiden voyage last night, up and down the drive. Rebuild transfer case seems smooth and quiet and it runs.
Couple of suspect pipes on the motor.. there is a loose push fit onto the inlet manifold from the rocker box. Seems to be engine side of the carb so god knows what that is doing to the fueling. Probably leaned right out …

More
08 Jun 2023 21:38 #249466 by lesgrandepotato
    I’ve been away for a bit so little progress made… but I do have a little to report. 

I’ve bought a devilbiss gun and I’m starting to prep for paint… never painted a car before… 

Also been on a road trip to pontefract to pick up a roll bar. It’s a jimny one but it fits in a treat 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
10 Jun 2023 20:33 #249495 by lesgrandepotato
        Well we’ve started on paint…. Bought a decent gun and I’ve been flatting down some panels. 

On balance I’m quite pleased with progress but I need to get the gun dialled in. 

We are now watching lemans from the camper to get the full experience :-) 
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2023 19:35 #249505 by lesgrandepotato
          Had a bit of a play in the morning. Trying to dial the gun in. Took a bit of doing to get the gun pressure right, then the fan spray and finally the paint volume. 
It’s not perfect yet, but my dolphin glaze should arrive tommorow and then I can shoot it again with hi build. 

Overall I’m pretty pleased so far. We’ll see how it looks after flatting to 800 grit and then we can lay some colour. Winchfields have nothing to worry about yet! 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

More
20 Jun 2023 19:18 #249568 by lesgrandepotato
Things are moving along in the paint booth. Will try for a final flat and polish at the weekend and see how we are doing.

Started on the electrics, what a mess. Lots of missing connectors and cut wires under the bonnet. 

Mostly sorted in the lighting department. But the wipers and washer seem pretty defunct. 

Had a root about in the spares box and I have a new ignition barrel, plastics and indicator/ wiper unit from a gypsy. 

None of the connectors match up…. so unless it’s the best answer I’m loath to start chopping it about. 

Anyone know the part number or have a spare wiper switch? Might need to dismantle and see what’s up with it 

More
24 Jun 2023 19:31 #249625 by lesgrandepotato
      loop Few bits going on. Electrics were all a bit funky. Decided to pull the dash and chop out all the non factory stuff. 
After unseizing the wiper rack and adding an earth that’s working. The new rear lights are shoddy from India. Rebuild the holders with additional springs and now we have broadly working electrics. 

Paint needs more work. Have started cutting and polishing and bought a bigger compressor to get a better gun finish… 

Connected the brakes up. Tommorows job is to get them water tight! 

Still it’s coming together! mOt in the next few weeks…
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
25 Jun 2023 11:57 #249628 by lesgrandepotato
What a bloody mess. Things I’ve learned. The new clusters weren’t identical for wiring. That really didn’t help.
The bulbs with the clusters blew in minutes.

The reverse lights are bridged from one unit to the other and there is wiring for a fog on the drivers unit.

Still we now have lights and fuel lights (and hopefully a gauge)

Brakes are getting better. Water tight but not much pedal. Wondering how many pumps it needs for the rears to self adjust to position as the handbrake is still useless

More
29 Jun 2023 19:51 #249657 by lesgrandepotato

Spent a bit of time on the wings. They are not looking easy to sort. Consoled myself with bleeding the brakes again and polishing the bonnet. Given it’s the first panel I’ve stripped and painted it’s alright. Deffo not great but it’s black and borderline shiny. 
Think it’s gonna work when it’s stickered up. 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds