BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Vitara starter Motor

More
05 Apr 2023 20:06 #248393 by Tr3v
Vitara starter Motor was created by Tr3v
Good evening all. Hope all is well. I have bought a sj with a vitara engine for my daughter to compete off road with a Dicky ring gear. Ring gear looks good- could she have the wrong starter motor? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2023 09:26 #248420 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Vitara starter Motor
Hi! The ring gear will fail at only parts of the circumference, so might check it all around by Rolling the car slightly in gear.
Vitara and SJ starter can be used on the G engines. Might have to grind off a bit to fit the SJ starter. Some grind the starter and some the engine. Must be done carefully of course.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
07 Apr 2023 17:42 #248427 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Vitara starter Motor
How is the ring gear manufactured on the Jimny, machined into the flywheel or separate item shrunk onto flywheel?
Only asking as back in the past I had a Hilman Avenger that would spin over the starter but not "turn over" the engine. It was the "shrunk on" ring gear slipping on the flywheel, confirmed by levering / moving with a screwdriver with the starter removed. Fixed by equally spaced welds between ring gear and flywheel, through starter bell housing mount.
Just showing my age and putting it forward this idea just in case the Jimny has two piece Ring /flywheel construction. I don't know how it's done on the Jimny, luck enough never to have gone this far in the engine.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
13 Apr 2023 08:33 #248535 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Vitara starter Motor
From my pictures and failing memory it is shrunk on.
Never heard of it coming loose, but still a good tip.

So they can be turned 90 degrees to use a not so worn part of the wheel if cogs are worn, but most easy is to take it off the engine and put it back 60degrees off (skip one bolt) from where it is not so worn.

Often done on other marks.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds