BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

my mates vit build

More
05 Jul 2014 08:37 #119326 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic my mates vit build
Been driven last night gearing high but the v6 helps over come that it's going out to muddy bottom on the 20th but I won't be going I hate the place but I mite pop over to gave a walk about and get some pics

JIMNYLESS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2014 13:23 - 05 Jul 2014 13:29 #119334 by panosd
Replied by panosd on topic my mates vit build
defender axles can come up to maxxis 37'' with hd ashcroft inner stuff.

My friend races with an range rover V8 and full ashcroft axles(lockers-axleshafts etc)

ay Croatia Trophy and other trophy races and until now no blow up's.

with a lot of abuse, at the next video it's the first car
Last edit: 05 Jul 2014 13:29 by panosd.

More
05 Jul 2014 19:45 #119345 by idiotmobil
that second ones in the second vid is cool

JIMNYLESS

• Jutwit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2014 22:28 #119360 by Jutwit
Replied by Jutwit on topic my mates vit build

Bits4Vits wrote: There are crawler gears for a Vitara transfer box , but the highside of the transfer box is 1:1, so he'll have to blank off the back of the gear box and graft in a Sammy transfer box to alter the gearing to suit the new final drive (R&P) ratios in the landy axles...

When I had Superzuki on 35"s (photo from Tom's Farm, RIP Tom) I had a Sammy box installed by Rob Storr, the gearing was about right with 5.125 early Vit R&Ps in, but as (the other) Dave said above, the Landy axles final drive ratio is rather different...

Toms farm was epic, loved that place, there will never be a place like that again, thanks to good old elf and safety

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2014 23:21 #119363 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic my mates vit build

panosd wrote: defender axles can come up to maxxis 37'' with hd ashcroft inner stuff.

My friend races with an range rover V8 and full ashcroft axles(lockers-axleshafts etc)

ay Croatia Trophy and other trophy races and until now no blow up's.

with a lot of abuse, at the next video it's the first car

Exactly.
Most people on this forum tends to forget that. Standard internals may be crap. But you can get some pretty heavy duty uprated internals from Ashcroft, RCV etc.

So for at comp truck, LR axles would be an excellent choice.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2014 07:43 #119371 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic my mates vit build
Not a ,matter of what internals you can fit its getting the ratio correct so you can turn the size of tyres you want

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2014 09:32 #119379 by panosd
Replied by panosd on topic my mates vit build
Big tyres only with diff ratio is not good.

The best is a combination of diff ratio, t-case gears and a high torque motor engine.

That's the success story.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2014 16:36 - 06 Jul 2014 16:37 #119396 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic my mates vit build

panosd wrote: Big tyres only with diff ratio is not good.

The best is a combination of diff ratio, t-case gears and a high torque motor engine.

That's the success story.

I have always been led to beleive reduction in ratio is far better taken care of in the axle hence why milatry style axle like G wagon Volvo 303 are respectilley 4.99:1 and 6.99:1 yes it would be nice to have a transfer case that will allow you to chop down the motoway at 80mph and crawl over rocks at 2mph but regretably itsdoesnt seem to work like that.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2014 16:37 by Dave cc.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2014 18:47 - 06 Jul 2014 18:48 #119401 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic my mates vit build

Dave cc wrote: Not a ,matter of what internals you can fit its getting the ratio correct so you can turn the size of tyres you want

There are lots of options for transfer case reductions. So it should be possible to make something work.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2014 18:48 by TomDK.

More
07 Jul 2014 17:00 #119471 by idiotmobil
tom would you be intrested in one of my roofs if I could get the weight down to under 4kg in carbon

JIMNYLESS

• suzukivit01
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2014 12:19 #121757 by suzukivit01
Replied by suzukivit01 on topic my mates vit build
im running landy axles on mine 24 spline rear with ARB and 10 spline front soon to be locked with ARB also running the AFN TDI 110 bhp std 413 transfer box and vitara gearbox and 3.54 diffs on 31" simex copys. I have never had any problems yet with breakages and the gearing is low enough for good road speed and more than low enough for off road. we have just started to convert Geo's Jimny to landy axles.
I do use it hard as its only a play toy and have been doing punch hunts now just about every event we go to with no problems where as George has smashed 2 CV joints in bits I have just been in.
Colin

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds