BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2011 18:05 - 31 Aug 2011 18:11 #21102 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
Thought it was about time for an update. The Jimny has been working well and seen a couple of trips off road where it performed perfectly. On our last trip out a diesel Frontera managed to suck enough water in to soak the air filter and conked out. As it was turned over to restart it it appeared to sieze and we feared the worse. After a quick bit of spanering it was found that in fact the fuel solenoid had got wet and all was well but it was enough to push me into getting me Snorkle sorted even though after checking my air box after the same water hole the Jimnys was bone dry B) . I really liked the look of the short version (sorry Martin) and it was in stock so I placed my order. However It would seem that Jimny snorkels are not designed to fit soft tops ? The aerial is in the way :angry: After a lot of faffing about It is on and all sealed up B)

The A3 template (no instructions, but to be honest you really dont need them)

The scarey bit cutting the holes

And the fitted Snorkel c/w homemade top bracket.

Last edit: 31 Aug 2011 18:11 by srcars.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ShuDuck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2011 18:26 #21103 by ShuDuck
Replied by ShuDuck on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
looks awesome! B)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2011 18:28 #21104 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
neat job B)

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2011 13:25 #21130 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
Hey nice ;) . I have been wondering about these snorkels for some time. I couldnt decide if i should get one of these or try and get the hard to get TJM snorkel. Does it join into the system in the wheel arch? How easy is it to fit?. Looks great. Any other pics?

cheers

nobby

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2011 16:12 #21142 by srcars
Thanks for the comments.

The FTS Snorkle I have is very nicely finished and comes with stainless fixings. It is made in a completely different way than the TJM and feels more solid which in therory means more brittle although I would say they were both as strong as each other at the end of the day.
Yes it comes with a high quality length of flexible rubber hose with internal ribs to prevent any chance of collapsing.

I removed the connecting peice you can see on the floor from inside the wing and then the supplied rubber hose then plugs onto the snorkel inside the wing and connects straight onto the air box through the existing hole, there is also a small drain hole in the bottom of the air box which I sealed up. Simples ;)
I dont have any more pics but to be honest there is not much else to see, just shout if you want to know anything else though. ;)

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2011 18:35 #21150 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
Cheers srcars. Looks a lot easier than i thought. Also looks easier to install than the TJM one. I doesnt help that kno one supplies the TJM snorkel either. Seeing yours has made my mind up to go for the FTS. Compliments on the choice of paint colour's by the way. :laugh:.

Cheers

Nobby

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2011 08:49 #24165 by srcars
Fitted a steering damper this morning and what a difference. Since the lift and even with the camber correction bushes the steering was just that bit too light, it would self center Ok but at higher speeds (if thats possible in a Jimny) it was just wasnt quite enough feeling. Needs a longer run to really check out different road types but round the block I am well impressed. Throughly recomend this easy mod to everyone and with Martin's bracket the job only takes 1/2 hour B)

More
21 Oct 2011 16:29 - 21 Oct 2011 16:33 #24184 by dirtydogz
I agree with you, it's one of the best mods to do after you lift your jimny.B)
And with Martin's bracket and a damper off ebay,it's the cheapest steering damper kit around.:)

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 21 Oct 2011 16:33 by dirtydogz.

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2011 18:05 #26647 by srcars
Had a trip out today round a few local'ish lanes which we had'nt explored before.

All was good except one which got narrower and narrower :whistle:

There are a couple worse than them, do you think they will polish out :silly:

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2011 18:15 #26649 by panosd
Replied by panosd on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
No they won't. Just keep it derty outside. Clean only the inside of the car whenever is time.

Thats what i do after a lot medals like yous from trees.

More
26 Nov 2011 18:48 #26654 by supergaz
Ouch!! It looked so shiny before!

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2011 18:51 #26656 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
I really like the snorkel B)
How did the snorkel fair with the tight lanes.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds