BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2010 10:20 #7709 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset soon to be 2
Thaks every one, I got my wheels and tyres as a package from here www.4x4tyres.com/ and used Insa Turbo Dakar MTs They were very helpfull and the service was spot on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2011 19:36 #12073 by srcars
Ok decided against buying a 2nd Jimny as I really needed something bigger so found a Cherokee for the right money its a bit different to driving the little Zuk :laugh:

With the change of plans my existing Jimny which has proved to be very reliable has started to be modded. Installed a CB with aerial on tailgate and I fitted a 2nd hand set of +2" springs which for some reason stuck the back up nearly 3" and the front 2" so fitted a pair of shims up front to get it sat level B) I fitted extended brake hoses and removed the anti roll bar. Its sat on the original Modulars and 205 MTs for now. The castor doesnt seem to bad, I think the lack of the anti roll bar has made the most difference, so may try correction bushes to start wit. Please so far with stage 1B)

Std Height

Post Lift just under + 3"

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2011 20:09 - 23 Feb 2011 20:10 #12077 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset soon to be 2
nice mods B)

also like the cherokee - is it a limited?

my wife wants a 4x4 to replace her ibiza - fancy a cherokee - either a limited or an 'extreme sport' as it will also make a good tow car to take the jimbob to bigjimny events :laugh:
Last edit: 23 Feb 2011 20:10 by darthloachie.

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2011 20:37 #12082 by srcars
Cheers

Re the Cherokee, I was looking at a Sports Extreme but you actually get more for your money in the Limited which I went for, I am really pleased so far, talk about value for money B) Mine is the 210hp V6 3.7L petrol which is unbelivebly quick and I can squeeze 20mpg round town which isnt the end of the world when I probably only get 25-28mpg from the Jimny. It also has a great 4wd system, RWD as standard, Full Time 4wd for the road (no axle wind up), and part time 4wd and 4wd low for off road.

We wanted a boot for camping trips and I will probably mod the Cherokee next year with a 2" lift and some bigger ATs ect for some gentle lanning ;)

But I still love my Suzukis and you cant beat them for fun B)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2011 20:43 #12083 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset soon to be 2
3.7 petrol ! :ohmy:

ours would have to be a deseasel as my wife has a heavy right foot :(
when I asked her which one she preferred she said a blue one :P

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2011 20:51 #12086 by srcars
Yes but the sound of the 3.7 V6 is lovley B)

Dont get a 2.5 diesel go for the 2.8 as the2.5s had major issues and as for Blue, I dont think you will match your Jimnys blue :laugh:

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2011 19:04 #12174 by srcars
Had a play with the 235s on the back to check what it was like with the std gearing and to be honest I was impressed. So I set about the front arches :whistle:

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2011 07:57 #15997 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
Had most of the parts for an in car PC knocing about for ages but never got round to fitting them in anything untill now. Its very similar in principal to Viciouspenguin's set up but in theory the hole thing is operated via a touch screen instead of a keyboard.
After a chat with my MOT man I removed my air bags (if you dissconnect the airbag brain under the gearbox console you dont get a dash light)

This left me a nice space to play with

After a bit of cutting I managed to fit a 8" touch screen which had been left in its box for a good couple of years :blush:

Its not the best job but I managed to fill the gaps and still manage to get the cover on which clips on and off to hide the screen when not in use.

The on/off button

And a couple of USB ports for memory sticks ect.

And the PC itself. It cant be seen when the seat is in its normal position

Just messing with the software now but it is running my on road sat nav and memory map for off road trips. Its also plays mp3s stored on the pc even when in sat nav mode with the sound playing through the uprated stereo/speakers fitted. This is all operated via a front end program with nice big buttons to make operating the system nice and easy. Soon to come are video cameras front and rear which will record to the hard drive. Permanent Internet access via my mobile and lots lots more.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2011 08:19 #15999 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
Wow! I like it, keep the updates coming.
Obviously you have good door seals?
Or you don't do deep water.;)

You are giving me ideas, I have a laptop in the shed that could be 'reclaimed' for a faff with. A net book might be a better option though?

Like it.

K :)

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2011 20:35 - 07 May 2011 20:37 #16024 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
nice setup, bit like mine :)
i suggest you get a keyboard of some sort. the first pc i put into my SJ didnt have one and it drove me nuts.

Attachment 23.jpg not found

Attachment netbook.jpg not found

www.sj410.co.uk/charger/garage/090531.html

what spec if the pc, how much did it cost if i can ask. what software do you run?
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 May 2011 20:37 by viciouspenguin.

More
08 May 2011 15:14 #16037 by Asbojimny
Nice set up/install. I was thinkin of gettin somethin to run MM. Would love a touch screen. Those 7" notebook things look are a good idea. I have a Garmin E trex i could use as a GPS unit,but have also noticed the dongle type on eblag.

scottishmudclub.com

• srcars
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2011 15:49 #16042 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: Jimny from Dorset Now with Carputer
keefe, I mainly do lanes and have never had water in the car yet but I will be a lot more vigilant untill I know the door seals are OK, I read somewhere that a Jimny will float when water gets to the top of the headlights so they must be pretty watertight :laugh: Time will tell....
I did have it running on a net book while I was testing things out and fitting the screen and it worked great so worth trying, the only reason I went with the pc was I had most of the parts and couldnt be bothered to keep taking in in and out :S

VisciousPenguin. I have had a good look round you website, Lots of interesting stuff on there. B)

I havent missed the keyboard yet and have only used the on screen keyboard once so far but I have seen a wireless one the size of a remote I could leave in the glovebox which I may get sometime.
Apart from the screen and the power supply its made up from 2nd hand parts and spares I already had and owes me a tad under £200, its not going to be the fastest thing in the world but then it doesnt need to be.
The main components are an Intel mini itx motherboard D945GCLF with a Atom processor 230. 1gb of ram and a 120GB hard drive. Its powered by a M2-Atx Intelligent power supply.
At the moment I have installed Windows XP and a program called 'Media Engine' which is a bit of software that allows access to any programs you use via nice big buttons and easy to read menus designed for in car use. I am using Memory Map for off road mapping and a program called Sygic Drive for on road sat nav. I can access any music stored on the hard drive while these are running and the sound plays through the uprated car stereo and speakers. I have lots of plans including internet access through my mobile and onboard cameras front and rear to record off road trips ect ect. I am learning as I go so I am sure as long as I dont flood the car the system will keep evolving as time and knowledge allow.

Rich

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds