BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Hello from India

More
07 Oct 2020 22:01 - 07 Oct 2020 22:06 #228903 by G0bble
Hello from India was created by G0bble
Hey Guys
I joined this forum to get some help for my planned Quaife ATB LSD mod to my rear diff.
As an intro here is a pic of my not-a-Jimny. Its a currently in production Indian manufactured Maruti Gypsy 1.3L MPFI with everything almost same-same as the SJ413. This ones model is MG413W. Besides the custom bumpers front and rear and the Alloys with Yokohama 215/75/R15 you can see, the suspension is an Ironman Leafspring+Shocks+PU bush kit. Headlight assembly is some Japanese diamond-cut unit I forget which along with some Hellas. I am planning a complete makeover for my car to make it a long distance tourer (not comparing to International desert-Safari levels but at a more modest level). FWIW I don't off-road but plan to hit the Himalayan trail a year or two from now. I will post the ideas I have for the makeover and solicit advice from you folks one upgrade at a time.

Looking forwards to some fruitful exchanges and conversations on this topic!

Not sure how to put the picture inline but please click on the attachment to view. Thnx!
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2020 22:06 by G0bble.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2020 22:42 #228905 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Hello from India
The SJ series, the model your Gypsy is based on would be classed as a Gen.2 Jimny, so welcome and when do we get invited to a curry night:laugh:

Roger

More
12 Oct 2020 03:53 - 12 Oct 2020 03:58 #229040 by Rabid Rhino
Replied by Rabid Rhino on topic Hello from India
India has some great Gypsies/Jimnys.
My favorite is the 5 door ones and considering the close relations between India & the UK, I can't understand why no one is importing these to the UK. Just do a few at first to test the market. I'll take one high roof and one 4 door soft top like the Indonesian Katana Caribean & Corsica.

I wonder if you guys will really get the new Jimny in a 5 door.

I also like the custom stuff you guys do

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 03:58 by Rabid Rhino.

More
12 Oct 2020 14:45 - 12 Oct 2020 14:54 #229055 by G0bble
Replied by G0bble on topic Hello from India
Thanks Guys,
The 5-door version seems to be an aftermarket job by some Military unit - never seen that before and its not sold from factory for sure.
The stock ones come with terrible-to-horrible suspension but there are reports that simply adding an extra leaf at any local leaf-setter and switching to gas-shocks results in a much better ride although I wonder by how much. Yep lot of body work renovation can be done cheaper here in India than Western countries - Most privately owned Gypsies here are overused Military vehicles auctioned-off cheaply at end-of-life and renovated. I got mine straight from the showroom though.

Just saw a news item today that a 5-door version of the Jimny may be built using the Toyota Raize chassis - but a lot of fake news has typically been floating around the Jimny coming to India here since a decade - with periodic comet like regularity - mostly originating from day-dreaming Journos tasked with the next 200 word write-up by their bosses for some local magazine.

It looks like an actual trial-production run of Jimny for world markets has started in India - but the 3-door version will not sell in a single family-car oriented market like India, hence the 5-door is what people are hoping for and anticipating.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 14:54 by G0bble.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds