BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2020 15:35 #226568 by CC Baxter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2020 11:25 - 15 Aug 2020 18:41 #226711 by lookonimages
Made up my quick connect winch.
This will be able to go front and rear.
Rear is using current towbar.
Front, i have ordered winch plate that will be changed to contain simmilar tow bar tube where winch can be mounted if needed.

Thus winch only added when going on trips.

As I do most trips alone and remote places. I want to be able to have winch front and rear. This setup leave me with most options.

When mounted at rear it will run of second battery.

Connections are with large andderson connectors.

As I only want to get myself unstuck if ever situation might arise. I think 4500 pound winch more than adequate for a little tuck.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 18:41 by lookonimages.

More
09 Sep 2020 11:48 - 09 Sep 2020 11:49 #227985 by lookonimages
Added recovery point and some ropes to the jimny. Recovery kit comming along really nicely.
- Bridle
- ĶERR snatch rope
- Tow rope
- Soft shackles
- D ring shackles
- Towing rope
- Gloves

And most probably never going to be used, but rather have it just in case. Never been stuck with my gen3 but then again there is always a first time. 90% off roading is desert/sand/dunes.

I found the jimny with wheels down to 1bar, it just float on the sand.

After this lockdown (now sorta being lifted) I seriously started planning a long trip. Time to get out and play

Last edit: 09 Sep 2020 11:49 by lookonimages.

More
22 Sep 2020 14:34 - 22 Sep 2020 15:28 #228447 by lookonimages
Bought the South African local Jimny suspension upgrade from Des Sol manufacturers.

These guys are brilliant and has become the "go to" place in South Africa for jimny upgrades and great value for money products.

Bought the gen4 50mm upgrade.
des-sol.co.za/product/jimny-gabriel-shocks-springs-set-gen4/

Kit also include adjusted cross member to facilitate longer down travel. So this set do not just have cross member extentions but the full new bar. For me that was a huge PLUS. Will post pics later of bar installed.
They also sell this as a single item.
des-sol.co.za/product/cross-member/

Before lift back

Before lift front

Springs new

Springs front comparison

Springs back comparison

Shocks front comparison

Shocks back comparison

After lift back

After lift front

A geniune 50mm lift.

Had the same gabriel HDP shocks on the gen3 with a spacer lift. They are briliant and specifically designed for the jimny's.

Handling sooo much better. Will give feedback on handling after a bit more driving, but it is made 150% difference on handling. Just feels so much more solid on the road yet still very comfortable.
Super happy.
Cant wait to take it off the road. That is where the cherry will be on the cake.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2020 15:28 by lookonimages.

More
22 Sep 2020 20:14 - 22 Sep 2020 20:15 #228462 by lookonimages
For interesting stats on inwards and extend lengths

Std shocks front
Compressed 290mm extended 380mm

Std shocks rear
Compressed 300mm extended 450mm

Gabriel safari HDP front item number GS56283
Compressed 280mm extended 450mm

Fabriel Safari HDP rear item number GS56284
Compressed 314mm extended 501mm

So fronts HDP will push in 10mm (290-280) more then std shocks, but extent 70 mm longer (450-380) then std shocks.

So the rear HDP will push in 14mm less (300-314) then std shocks, but extent 51 mm longer (501-450) than std stock

So now you see reason that i came with custom cross bar memberthat have access to longer front down travel without moving the complete crossmember lower, so here we loose no height with lower sitting cross member.

Last edit: 22 Sep 2020 20:15 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300bhpton

More
22 Sep 2020 20:35 #228463 by Soeley
It might be just the way it looks in that picture, but the cross-member does look to be weakened a bit, just wondering how much support it is giving compared to removing the cross-member?

More
23 Sep 2020 11:08 - 23 Sep 2020 11:16 #228476 by lookonimages
Dont think it is structurally inferior.

They just clipped off the lip where it can possibly touch.

Feel like a very solid crossmember. Who know, it might be even stronger than standard one

And it has quality check performed and passed. They not backyard manufacturers. All products quality tested and approved.

Last edit: 23 Sep 2020 11:16 by lookonimages.

More
23 Sep 2020 20:28 #228493 by Soeley
Ah, thanks that is a better picture. From the first one it looked like the notch went across the full with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
24 Sep 2020 15:33 #228503 by Dunders
Great mods and you've used good quality parts and providers. Hope you can get out soon for a decent trip to test it all out!
On YouTube check out a channel called Roam Overlanding. He did a series on overlanding in a his modded Gen4 in Southern Africa. Lots of ideas for Jimny mods and trips.

I'm a South African living in Edinburgh so it's nice to see some more of us on this group :-)

More
24 Sep 2020 18:01 - 24 Sep 2020 18:02 #228509 by lookonimages

Dunders wrote: Great mods and you've used good quality parts and providers. Hope you can get out soon for a decent trip to test it all out!
On YouTube check out a channel called Roam Overlanding. He did a series on overlanding in a his modded Gen4 in Southern Africa. Lots of ideas for Jimny mods and trips.

I'm a South African living in Edinburgh so it's nice to see some more of us on this group :-)

Yes i have followed the whole Roam series with the jimny. That is actually from Roam series that I decided to go for the Des Sol aftermarket suspension/lift upgrade.

See however Roam is now busy with a Toyota build. That jimny was an awesome build.

Great to see SA people here.

Last edit: 24 Sep 2020 18:02 by lookonimages.

More
08 Oct 2020 17:34 #228924 by Pspies
Greetings from Durban guys. Leave tomorrow for a trip up to the Moz border area, Tembe, Kosi bay. First long trip with our new Jimny. All very excited.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
08 Oct 2020 17:38 #228925 by lookonimages

Pspies wrote: Greetings from Durban guys. Leave tomorrow for a trip up to the Moz border area, Tembe, Kosi bay. First long trip with our new Jimny. All very excited.

Enjoy the trip. Safe travels

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds