BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

More
10 Aug 2021 12:12 - 10 Aug 2021 12:14 #237468 by lookonimages
These are the crates I use. What is nice is that bottom fit into top of a crate so no sliding around when you stack them. You just strap them down and they not going anywhere.

Lids is fastened locked with clips. Local equivalent of the frontrunner crates and 1/3 rd of the price.

Last edit: 10 Aug 2021 12:14 by lookonimages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2021 13:51 #237596 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread
Hello from Durban!
Very nice to see more South Africans and to run through this thread! 
So many very neat mods! I've had my Gen 4 almost 3 years now, and whilst it's predominantly a daily driver, we've definitely had some adventures!

I'm also very happy to see your positive feedback on the Des Sol 50mm lift. I've just pulled the trigger on the same kit for my November 2018 Gen 4 and I am hoping they can fit this for me this week before I'm away this weekend!

More
16 Aug 2021 21:06 #237616 by lookonimages

MrPaynterZA wrote: Hello from Durban!
So many very neat mods! I've had my Gen 4 almost 3 years now, and whilst it's predominantly a daily driver, we've definitely had some adventures!

I'm also very happy to see your positive feedback on the Des Sol 50mm lift. I've just pulled the trigger on the same kit for my November 2018 Gen 4 and I am hoping they can fit this for me this week before I'm away this weekend!

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Yòu will enjòy the 50mm ĺift kit from des sol. I await their adjustable panhard bar front and back. Would love to get alignment back to zero. I know I am padantic but that me. Ĺots of people driving 50mm lift without correcting the panuhard bar. Des sol panhard bars are to be released this week from my understanding.

Yes indeed here are a couple SA people.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
17 Aug 2021 08:26 #237633 by saxj

MrPaynterZA wrote: Hello from Durban!

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Yòu will enjòy the 50mm ĺift kit from des sol. I await their adjustable panhard bar front and back. Would love to get alignment back to zero. I know I am padantic but that me. Ĺots of people driving 50mm lift without correcting the panuhard bar. Des sol panhard bars are to be released this week from my understanding.

Yes indeed here are a couple SA people.

There are a few guys who have already received their adjustable panhard rods from Des Sol. I unfortunately had to replace my rear one with an OEM one, just before the Des Sol ones became available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
17 Aug 2021 08:54 - 17 Aug 2021 08:56 #237635 by lookonimages

saxj wrote: There are a few guys who have already received their adjustable panhard rods from Des Sol. I unfortunately had to replace my rear one with an OEM one, just before the Des Sol ones became available.

That is not good news.
I was supposed to be in front of the line at dessol. :)

Maybe time to start looking into other options.

Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 08:56 by lookonimages.

More
17 Aug 2021 09:02 #237636 by HFPE
Silly question, but when is it necessary to use the adjustable panhard rod? With any lift or only from 50mm and up?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

More
17 Aug 2021 09:49 #237638 by saxj

saxj wrote: There are a few guys who have already received their adjustable panhard rods from Des Sol. I unfortunately had to replace my rear one with an OEM one, just before the Des Sol ones became available.

That is not good news.
I was supposed to be in front of the line at dessol. :)

Maybe time to start looking into other options.

There are a few that have helped Des Sol with R&D, and they get pre production versions. e.g. I assisted with the design of the headlight levelling bracket, so consequently I had one to test before it became a production item.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2021 11:02 #237645 by MrPaynterZA
That's interesting, I didn't realise I'd need to update the panhard rods. 
I don't think it's pedantic to want the vehicle to be right at all, and I will definitely be looking into that. 

When I drop my vehicle off for the fitment, I will ask about the rods and see what the feedback is. 

More
17 Aug 2021 11:44 - 17 Aug 2021 11:59 #237650 by lookonimages

MrPaynterZA wrote: That's interesting, I didn't realise I'd need to update the panhard rods. 
I don't think it's pedantic to want the vehicle to be right at all, and I will definitely be looking into that. 

When I drop my vehicle off for the fitment, I will ask about the rods and see what the feedback is. 

Lifting a vehicle 50mm will alter the wheels position in relation to the body. To virtually see what I mean. Vehicle setup is like triangle with same volume. Changing one point will alter another. Eg pic below. Move A higher will shorten the vertical line point B.Therefore your wheels will move a little away from centre line. Many people dont mind and dont fit adjustable panhard bar to bring wheels back to centre.

I however want everything to be back to square so only way to do is to lengthen the pandard bar to get point B back to its original spot after point A moved higher.

On my jimny the lift also introduced the steering wheel to sit ever so slightly off centre and when wheels alugnment to body go back to zero, the steering wheel will sit perfectly straight again.

When measuring the wheels seen from top of wheel wells it is clear that wheels is 5mm more to one side.

Hugely exaggerated. wheels alignment to body
Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 11:59 by lookonimages.

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2021 12:28 #237652 by MrPaynterZA
Ah this makes sense, thank you for taking the time to explain it!
I would definitely also be interested in getting my vehicle back to square. 

More
17 Aug 2021 12:42 - 17 Aug 2021 12:45 #237654 by lookonimages

MrPaynterZA wrote: Ah this makes sense, thank you for taking the time to explain it!
I would definitely also be interested in getting my vehicle back to square. 

Again many people do not feel the need to make the correction as it is mm's that wheels move. It definately is not a prerequisite for a 50mm lift.

But there are a few who wants this to be corrected however slight it is and therefore the market for adjustable panhard rods.

You will see all big lift companies make it available like "Tough dog", "Old man Emu" and "Ironman4x4"

All personal taste. Only reason I have not yet fitted is I like to support local and was waiting for Des sol.

Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 12:45 by lookonimages.

More
17 Aug 2021 16:18 #237666 by Roger Fairclough
Before you splash out on adjustable Panhard rods, do you actually need them?

I have a 50mm lift and a quick check indicated no difference left to right so no need for expensive adj. rods.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds