BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

More
08 Oct 2020 20:34 #228929 by Soeley
Sounds good, don't forget to bring lots of pictures back :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2020 12:53 - 12 Oct 2020 13:15 #229049 by lookonimages
Starting to fit the quick disconnect winch bar for the front. This way I do not have a permanent mounted winch on the car.

Will be build on jimnybits winch plate.

Start with measurements etc building the channel section.

Front bumper removal end of day was not difficult at all.

This is to attach winch for front to be simmilar to attachment for rear using the tow bar
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 13:15 by lookonimages.

More
12 Oct 2020 13:22 #229050 by Dunders
Awesome have a fun and save trip and share some photos!

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2020 14:42 #229053 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread
Nice. Check that hitch pin though, they're often cheap bundled items. If the pin shears under load that's a big hefty item going flying. I look forward to seeing the front sorted. Chris

More
19 Oct 2020 14:16 #229285 by Pspies
Here we go. Some photos from the trip.6hr drive up north to Tembe Elephant park for a few days. One of the few game lodges that lets you self-drive in your own car ... this was fantastic, beats being driven around in a group of strangers. Then another hour north up to Kosi Bay on the Mozambique border then back down south through iSimangaliso Wetland Park to the St Lucia Estuary.First up ... spot the rookie mistake with the rack loading.Jimny was absolutely outstanding off road on this trip. Nothing could stop it and we through some serious unplanned obstacles in it's way. I'm convinced it drives better in heavy sand that it does on tar. Even backwards in reverse with an elephant chasing you down the road. What an absolute pleasure.You can do so many 4x4 tracks, but nothing compares to driving in real off road, where no vehicle (or very few vehicles) have been before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, Barry silver SZ5

More
19 Oct 2020 16:12 #229296 by Soeley

More
19 Oct 2020 17:17 #229298 by Barry silver SZ5
So jealous , great pictures. Thanks

More
05 Nov 2020 13:48 - 05 Nov 2020 14:42 #229711 by lookonimages
Finally done with my front winch recovery point. Basically a towbar, just in the front.
This way I only load the winch if I go on a trip. The advantage is
- The winch is 99% of the time in the garage out of harms way and weather.
- Save a few kg's not having it installed permanently
- can recover myself backwards or forwards.

The winch is just for own recovery in emegency. No intention of playing with the big dogs. So the 4500 pound winch should be ample for own usage. Together with a snatch block it should be ample enough for my kind of offroad.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 14:42 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
05 Nov 2020 18:19 #229721 by Soeley
That is a really neat solution there, have you got any pictures of the front mount without the bumper in place?

More
06 Nov 2020 06:50 - 06 Nov 2020 07:05 #229731 by lookonimages
Soeley

Well i had the jimnybits winch plate that is very solid and thought I will use it as the base plate. Not ideal though and if I did not have the winch plate I would have build it a bit different so tube sits directly on horizontal plate. Meaning a solid steel plate that ran on the top side of jimnybits side brackets (jimnybits brackets turned upside down) that would make the need for a " lift" obsolete. The only downside is you will loose the plastic bit then that direct airflow into radiator.

Base is rectangular tube 120x60x8mm
The sides for base is angle iron 60x90x8mm
The tube on top is 63x63x5.7 i think.
Top tube reinforced with flatbar 70x7mm
The front of tube reinforced with 8x8 solid bar to ensure mouth do not bend open.

The jimnybits winch bar.

I then cutoff the front lip.

Then I added the 50x10mm flatbar to inforce the flat section of jimny bits winch plate.

Cut slot in plastic air flow section so it fit over the "tow bar" bracket and still able to make it look nice as the airflow plastic piece also hide chassis / cross member.

Cut the slot in the bumper mesh so that top tube protrude through it.

Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 07:05 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
06 Nov 2020 07:25 - 06 Nov 2020 08:02 #229732 by lookonimages
Will go test it the weekend but i am sure there is a lot that will fail before the tow bracket will fail. Build to be used for own winch recovery only. But it is ample strong.

Still need to add proper recovery point if someone need to snatch recover me.

But yeah i have to agree the jimny bits parts i ordered is exceptional quality and almost overkill in strength department but rather that then be sorry later. I was rather surprised when I opened the parcel from jimnybits winchplate. It is SOLID, you will comfortably be able to put 10000 pound winch on that winch plate. Recommended them anytime.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 08:02 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PabloAzH

More
06 Nov 2020 08:10 #229733 by Soeley
Thanks for the extra info.

If you want the Jimnybits front recovery points, give them a ring/email eplain you have the winch plate and you should be able to buy the recovery points only. I asked about that before I bought mine and the points and winch plate are all interchangeable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds