BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My Chiffon Ivory JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread

More
24 Jun 2020 10:50 #223936 by 300bhpton

Grima wrote: Hi, you have posted pictures of the front tie down & your transfer box with debris stuck in them. You might have damaged something or have something stuck in there. Transfer guard is a must. I hope its a simple fix.

Thanks. I did roll under last night and had a check, all looks good. It was only some soft mud that had caught previously, nothing looks damaged or marked. I'm not entirely sure how the low range selector works. Is it a lever to an electronic switch to a solenoid or something? Didn't spend long under there as my back is playing me up presently :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jun 2020 11:11 #223938 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:My JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread
"I'm not entirely sure how the low range selector works. Is it a lever to an electronic switch to a solenoid or something?"
Good point, in a fully manual setup I would have hoped to see a neutral in the gate.
Most transfer boxes put up a fight to engage but they never jump out.
I look forward to further updates on this issue. Chris

More
27 Jun 2020 12:21 #224078 by 300bhpton
So at last something to actually update with.

I decided to fit a new front bumper.

I'll start at the beginning.

I was initially very interested in the ARB bumper. I contacted ARB who put me in touch with a supplier in the UK. Sadly despite lots of comms, mostly one sided. I was unable to find out sufficient details, price or availability on the ARB item.

My search didn't stop there however.

Ultimately I was looking for a way of getting a better front recovery point and more importantly improved approach angle. As it is evident the stock front bumper impacts the ground. Taller tyres and lift would undoubtably help, but the approach angle or lack there of would always be a concern.

I wasn't overly fussed about a winch. I've never owned one and thus far never needed one either. However having one does sort of appeal. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

My search continued. I'd dismissed the Jimnybits front recovery points, despite liking how they attach, it meant hacking up the stock bumper, which looked like it could easily end up looking untidy. And of course didn't address the approach angle. Other bumpers available in the UK just didn't seem to look very nice to my eye. I did find something in New Zealand and another in South Africa that could both have been candidates, but the shipping costs and lack of UK support ultimately put pay to these being dismissed also.

Then by huge luck I stumbled across a small article in an 4x4 magazine:

The offered two styles. Making it a tough choice:

However, from this point on, my mind was reasonably set. An Ironman 4x4 bumper was my pick.

I managed to contact the UK importer; West Coast Off Road. A bit of toing and froing with emails and confirmation of price and I was booked in.

Sadly West Coast Off Road are about 190 miles from me, however I was very keen to get the bumper installed. And as they are the importer for the UK, I thought it made sense. I just needed to commit some time to make it happen.

On the flip side, this gave me the opportunity to drive the Jimny long distance for the first time. In all I did about 400 miles yesterday in two stints. And I have to say, I found the Jimny extremely comfortable and pleasant for such a journey. I did not feel fatigued or eager to get out it at any point. Despite my back playing me up this week.

It managed just over 38mpg for the round trip. I'm sure it could have done better, but to be fair I stuck to the speed limits. It was nearly all motorway and the traffic was light enough to make good progress. Therefore, assuming there wasn't a speed restriction for roadworks, I was running with the speed limiter set to 72mph, which seemed to actually show 73/74 on the speedo and a GPS speed on my phone of exactly 70mph.

I found the vehicle was no problem to drive at these speeds, although I'm certain 60mph would have yielded over 40mpg. 70mph is approx 3500rpm.

While I've found the standard 2 speaker stereo to be more than adequate running around locally and lower speeds. I will admit the additional road noise at 70mph meant I did have to turn the volume up a little. But the Jimny was still quiet enough to make a handsfree phone call at these speeds.

I think if I was to regularly do high speed motorway trips, I would invest in the rear speaker upgrade and upgrade the fronts to 13cm. More sound, rather than just louder is probably the way to go.

So, onto the front bumper!!!

First off, I'd like to give a shout out to West Coast Off Road. They are based in Southport not far from Preston. I found them to be very helpful and pleasant. And despite the distance, I will be returning for some further upgrades in the future.
westcoastoffroad.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/westcoastoffroadcenter/

Also, if anyone is interested in the Ironman4x4 range, they offer some interesting items:
www.ironman4x4.com/

The guys at West Coast work on many types of 4 wheel drives, although Toyota's seem to be their preferred and main focus. Some rather interesting vehicles parked up there. They are also in the process of building a new showroom too.

More
27 Jun 2020 12:22 #224080 by 300bhpton
Right, so before diving in further. I'd like to take a step back. Normally I work on my own vehicles, especially the 4x4's. In fact, just last week I was modifying my Land Rover bumper and front recovery points.

The reason I say this is, it is unusual for me to get stuff installed or done by others. It is also worth noting that the Land Rover bumper is held on with only 4 bolts; 2 per side. And is a one piece bumper. Having read the install instructions for the Ironman4x4 bumper, it was apparent, things were quite different...

The Ironman4x4 bumper also incorporates the factory headlight washers, factory DLR units and an additional set of combi light units which cater for DLR/Side/Indicator. These were all things that were a 'must' when I was considering bumper options.

The install starts with the front grill and bumper removal. Which all seem to be attached largely by plastic clips. The stock bumper truly is just a lightweight plastic shell.

The new bumper centres around the winch tray. I didn't go for a winch this time round. But will probably look to get one later in the year.

Essentially the winch tray/cradle is secured to the main frame and front structure. It utilises existing holes, some of these need drilling to enlarge them, as well as a good number of extra holes being drilled. It then uses a great many 8.8 and 10.9 high tensile bolts to secure to the front end. Some of the holes cannot be drilled until other parts are in place.

Going back to my Land Rover with only 4 bolts holding the bumper on. I counted at least 19 bolts holding the winch tray onto the Jimny. I think you really could hang the vehicle off of it!

Once the tray is in place, the main bumper then affixes to the tray. This is the bit that you'd remove to install the winch. Again this used a lot of bolts, somewhere between 6 and 12. I lost count if I'm honest.

With the main bumper on, you can clearly see how much improved front approach angle there will be.... looks like some trimming of the plastic inner arches will be needed.

With that on, the electrics and washers could be sorted out, plumbed in and wired.

The bumper has some openings for a high lift jack, if that is your desire. Personally never been that found of them.

The last bits to go on are the integrated skid plates to protect the bottom of the rad opening and some side sections which box in where the electrics are. These again use about another 20 bolts to affix.

Being a winch bumper does mean it has made the vehicle longer and ultimately the bumper sticks out a little further. But only in front of the radiator, as this is where the winch tray is. However, due to the design, even here the approach angle is much improved also.

And finally all done and back together.

The guys at West Cost 4x4 worked tirelessly. The install did take nearly 5 hours in total, but to be fair. This is the first one they have installed on a Jimny. These bumpers are pretty new and there were things to learn. Not to mention many many bolts! Therefore if I understood correctly, I'm probably the first person in the UK with one of these bumpers on their Jimny.

Very pleased with the fit and finish of the bumper. It has a lovely matt texture which is nice to the touch and also matches the wheel arches very well. The fit it superb and follows the lines of the Jimny brilliantly. Although the stock tyres are looking a little weedy! New tyres going on next week thankfully.

Clearly this bumper is far more substantial than the stock plastic one. And to be honest, you can tell it is hanging on the front of the vehicle. Not in a bad way particularly. But as soon as you pull away you can tell the steering is a little heavier. And in the bends you know you have some weight out front. But I might be being picky, none of this is a detriment to how it drives. And I suspect many people wouldn't even notice the subtle change in driving characteristics.

Next I need to try it off road and see if it has indeed solved the problems of hitting the bumper into the ground.

More
27 Jun 2020 14:12 #224087 by Soeley
Looks good, West Coast are not really that far from me. I have seen them at shows and they sometimes pop in on our (North West Overlander) club meets.

It does look a well made and thought out bit of kit!

Couple of questions:
How heavy is it?
Has it lowered the front ride height any with the weight?
Any insurance implications?

More
27 Jun 2020 20:59 #224109 by mlines
Anyone looking for an ARB one, drop me a PM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jun 2020 06:38 #224118 by Lambert
Sorry but I don't get why you have done this, I understand that it improves the approach angle that I get but why the bull bar on the top, what are you anticipating is going to hit you that you need that level of frontal protection? Also just out of curiosity, what have your insurance company said about having that on the front of your car? If you hit a pedestrian at any kind of speed with that you are going to inflict life changing damage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Jun 2020 07:34 #224122 by 300bhpton

Lambert wrote: Sorry but I don't get why you have done this, I understand that it improves the approach angle that I get but why the bull bar on the top, what are you anticipating is going to hit you that you need that level of frontal protection? Also just out of curiosity, what have your insurance company said about having that on the front of your car? If you hit a pedestrian at any kind of speed with that you are going to inflict life changing damage.

I don’t really understand why you are so negative. Is it not meant to be about accepting that people like different things. And critically that this isn’t your vehicle.

As for insurance. Loads of vehicles have Hd bumpers and like fitted. Many as factory items and as if evident by the vehicles at Westcost Off Road, as aftermarket market additions.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 08:39 #224126 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:My JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread
Nice write up and pictures, on the website (ARB admittedly) it states the integrit finnish is unsuitable for colour coding. That sounds like a challenge to me.
Lambert makes a good point on the implications of fitting such heavy duty equipment and we should all be aware of the dangers. What we choose to do with that knowledge is down to the individual. I wouldn't fit one now (that's age for you) but I have fitted similar in the past. Chris

More
28 Jun 2020 08:58 #224128 by Reason2doubt
Wow. That thing is big! I hadn't quite realised the depth of it until looking closely at the photos. I can't imagine that moving anywhere in a hurry - plans to pop a winch in at some point? I do like the look of it though - I always liked the Australian 4x4's with these on!

What is the weight out of curiousity? It does look heavy as you allude to with the steering, but it can't be THAT heavy surely? Perhaps 35kg?

Not surprised the landy you mention has 4 bolts to hold the bumper on....explains why a while ago I tore somebody's off when pulling them out. My little Chinese import bumper has a fair few bolts to secure it to the car and generally to sandwich the two halves together. That one seems indestructible! Very cool and nice write up on the company/experience.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jun 2020 09:43 #224129 by Lambert

300bhpton wrote:

Lambert wrote: Sorry but I don't get why you have done this, I understand that it improves the approach angle that I get but why the bull bar on the top, what are you anticipating is going to hit you that you need that level of frontal protection? Also just out of curiosity, what have your insurance company said about having that on the front of your car? If you hit a pedestrian at any kind of speed with that you are going to inflict life changing damage.

I don’t really understand why you are so negative. Is it not meant to be about accepting that people like different things. And critically that this isn’t your vehicle.

As for insurance. Loads of vehicles have Hd bumpers and like fitted. Many as factory items and as if evident by the vehicles at Westcost Off Road, as aftermarket market additions.

Absolutely it's your vehicle and you can do whatever you want. But it's a modification that you are legally obliged to inform your insurer of regardless of whether other vehicles have something like it fitted as standard. It is then at their discretion as to whether they are prepared to cover the cost implications of you being involved in a collision fault or not. That bumper will make a mess of anything it touches in any kind of impact be it head on into another vehicle or worse still a kid stepping out from between parked cars. In any event that bumper completely invalidates all the deformable structures that Suzuki designed into the front of the vehicle to minimise the effects of an impact on either the occupants or a pedestrian. They are designed for the remote Australian outback not Leeds inner ring road. You speak from a position of personal freedom, I speak from one of social responsibility. Would you really like someone with one of those fitted to drive into you, your car or someone you care about?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Jun 2020 20:16 #224189 by 300bhpton

Lambert wrote: Absolutely it's your vehicle and you can do whatever you want. But it's a modification that you are legally obliged to inform your insurer of regardless of whether other vehicles have something like it fitted as standard. It is then at their discretion as to whether they are prepared to cover the cost implications of you being involved in a collision fault or not. That bumper will make a mess of anything it touches in any kind of impact be it head on into another vehicle or worse still a kid stepping out from between parked cars. In any event that bumper completely invalidates all the deformable structures that Suzuki designed into the front of the vehicle to minimise the effects of an impact on either the occupants or a pedestrian. They are designed for the remote Australian outback not Leeds inner ring road. You speak from a position of personal freedom, I speak from one of social responsibility. Would you really like someone with one of those fitted to drive into you, your car or someone you care about?

If I'm being honest. I think you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder for some reason. And are then being unreasonable. I know you are a moderator here, so any argument is unlikey to go my way. I can only hope that civility will shine through.

I believe the regs in Australia are fairly tough, the bumper has to not impede the crash structure of the car. But ultimately if you have some beef with such things, please take it up with the makers, importers & sellers. And leave the likes of myself alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds