BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My Chiffon Ivory JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2020 23:16 #220116 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic My JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread
195 80 15---27.3in
215 75 15---27.7in
.4in /10.16mm over all
just over 5mm lift.
Put the weight of the car on the tyre then its not a perfect circle where the tyre sits on the road. The only over sized tyres are usually MT / remoulds not AT or road tyres.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2020 00:45 #220120 by 300bhpton
You are correct I used photoshop to make the tyre look bigger... :whistle:

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2020 01:09 #220121 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic My JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread
When I rolled a BFG K02 tyre up against the 195 tyre. I went WOW there huge but when fitted don't look so big. Enjoy your Jimny & thanks for blog.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Mar 2020 07:58 #220126 by Lambert
When I swapped the factory Bridgestone for my BF Goodrich both in 205.70 the BFG were significantly taller so I put the tape measure over them and they were 7 mm bigger compared with the then as new spare Bridgestone. They brought the speedometer to within 2 mph from being near 4.5 slow..

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Mar 2020 14:00 #220134 by 300bhpton

Grima wrote: When I rolled a BFG K02 tyre up against the 195 tyre. I went WOW there huge but when fitted don't look so big. Enjoy your Jimny & thanks for blog.

I agree, they should fit fine. Plenty of people running 235/75R15's on stock suspension, which to the maths are another 30mm taller than the 215.

But not all tyres are equal. And while it is true many remoulds come up big or even small. New tyres also have variance from tread to tread and different brands. We have a shed full of tyres on the farm and you wouldn't believe the variance.

Also used to bigger tyres, used to run some 34" tall Simex's on my Discovery.

More
18 Apr 2020 16:16 #221211 by 300bhpton
Nothing too much new to add at the moment. The lockdown and uncertainty has put hold to a lot of things.

I have added the rear rubber load liner. The backs of the seats are fine, but being hard plastic, stuff slipped and slid about quite a bit on them. Hoping the liner will prevent this.

Turned up in just a few days of ordering and fits straight in.

You do need to have the belts clipped to the seat backs however.

Had a bit of a play off road, but still having issue with it jumping out of low range. Fairly sure it is just the linkage, but the dealer has been shut for a couple of weeks now. So unable to get it looked at.

More
18 Apr 2020 16:35 #221216 by DAGZOOK
With regard to the seat belts, I've clipped mine back with some dark green sandwich/freezer bag clips works a treat, just don't tell the mrs that I raided her kitchen supplies. :whistle: I'll update with a photo to follow up..

More
18 Apr 2020 17:03 #221220 by DAGZOOK
Attachments:

More
18 Apr 2020 17:36 #221221 by Bill Portland
An alternative re the seat belts is that there's a nice little recess each side where you put your fingers to lift out the boot stash tray. The seat belts fit nicely in them.

• Ash97x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2020 15:27 #221271 by Ash97x
Replied by Ash97x on topic My JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread
The load liner is great at protecting the rear of the rear seats from scratches etc.. but it’s not going to help much with the sliding around! I had the same problem with stuff sliding around, however fitting the load liner never really helped much. It began sliding too with everything else in the back! I did try velcro strips but couldn’t get them properly orientated on the rear sears and load liner. Invested in some D loops and a luggage net and now everything is much more secure!

Ash

More
14 May 2020 19:41 #222235 by 300bhpton
Still not much of an update. Sadly not found anyone to fit my tyres yet. Hopefully next week as places are opening again.

In the meantime I have Dinitrol'd the underside.

4941 on the chassis rails, arches and floor pan. And ML in the chassis rails and cavities. This is the first time using Dinitrol, I've had lots of success with Waxoyl over the years, but it is messy to apply. The Dinitrol is much easier and cleaner in this respect. And doesn't need heating up first either. Hopefully it will perform as well or better too.

Poser shot in the field with my p38 Range Rover and my brothers Ninety:

More
17 Jun 2020 11:46 #223676 by 300bhpton
So there hasn't been much to update on with the Jimny. The lockdown and social distancing have meant I've done a lot less miles. And not been too many places.

Some bad news, the dealership I bought my Jimny from. Progress Suzuki in Milton Keynes have now closed permanently :(

This means I'm forced to use another dealership instead. Time will tell if they match the friendliness of Progress.

I also still haven't fitted my AT tyres that I bought about 8 weeks ago!!!! Looking to do this next payday however.

During the lockdown I did treat myself to a Mavic Mini drone. Hoping to use it to get some good off road and green laning footage. For now here is a 'Where's Jimny' photo. :)

On to more pressing matters. I mentioned a couple of months ago that I was having issues with the Jimny jumping out of low range when off road. Unfortunately this all happened right at the onset of the lockdown when the dealership closed for social distancing reasons. I had been in contact with them, patiently waiting for them to re-open. But now they are permanently closed it has delayed this being looked at.

My 'new' local dealership has had the car in and reported no issues found. Although it is going back in a couple of weeks for a further look. I believe they have a technical request in with Suzuki UK in the meantime.

Here is a video of the problem. As can be seen, it could be quite dangerous. When off road you need to rely on the vehicles abilities and it to do what it is meant too. If this was more extreme terrain with far bigger drop offs, having the vehicle suddenly and without warning loose drive and engine braking, could spell disaster of the highest order.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds